A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,124
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 67
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Art journaling and altered journaling along - ongoing - 2014 until ???  (Read 40207 times)
Tags for this thread: art_journal  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cmarion3
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: January 20, 2014 06:31:20 PM »

Love the journals, cmarion.  Smiley    My first coptic book was tighter than it should be.  I added some ribbon ties to the covers to tie it shut and it kept it closed.   Smiley

Good idea, ribbons to tie closed. I will work on something that fits with the journal to do that. Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Art Journaling and Fabric Art Journaling
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
stillatthetop
« Reply #171 on: January 20, 2014 08:24:34 PM »

I see you with a camera Miss Polly  Grin Perhaps a short walk with it to capture something of inspiration? I was once inspired by a coffee ring on a napkin! It just looked neat, so I came home and duplicated it on paper.

Another ATC...sorry, I know this is supposed to be journals, but mine are too personal to share right now.

Here is a page that my 4 year old son helped make for me {he is 9 now, but loves to help make an artsy mess, still}:

This one sure was messy...but fun  Grin

~T

Oh, those other brown blotches are leaves that we collected on one of our nature walks. That was the inspiration for this piece...that and a toy catalog/flyer that he just loved to look through. You just never know when that spark will hit. This was his first time painting with me, and he loved it!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014 08:34:06 PM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
faemystique

RN who crafts like she's on Crack!

Making my art a priority in 2014!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #172 on: January 20, 2014 09:10:20 PM »

Nice still at the top!  Kids are so fun when they are painting and creating.  Even as they get older.  Good stuff everyone!  And Kookaloo no worries, you don't have to share until its something you feel comfortable with!  Lovely Miss, I was having trouble trying to make stuff with meaning too, trying to "journal".  The only real journaling on any of those pages is the stuff going counter clockwise around the lady looking like she is tearing out of the page... otherwise, I gave up trying to find a meaning for everything and just started to play.  It was hard at first, and I don't always know what will show up on a page, but its getting easier.  The bird and nest I kinda had an inkling of what I wanted but it turned out different that my vision... I am just trying things out, I really want to be good enough to make some money making canvases and MDF and board hangings to sell.  So my journaling is really with that goal in mind, to eek out some ideas eventually to reproduce for filling the sparse coffers at the bank one day! haha.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014 09:11:16 PM by faemystique » THIS ROCKS   Logged

stillatthetop
« Reply #173 on: January 20, 2014 10:48:28 PM »

My journal lettering is always hard for me, too. I figure if I stick it to paper, then I can't forget it. And lots of my thoughts I wish to forget. That is why I keep several books. Some just for fun, and others to bleed into. I don't like joining the two. I prefer the happy times. Like my little guy with his tongue sticking out. So focused on his task! My Dad used to do that when we worked on projects. Too cute. Sweet memories. But sometimes it is good to share the bad with yourself. And just get it out of your system. So I also keep what I call "My Ugly Book".

I love rain. I know most people don't, but I find it very soothing. Like a fountain falling to earth from our Gods above. Whichever ones you believe in, if any. Mother nature's way to give back to the earth what it drew up.
I think I will focus on that idea for my next page.

Here is a crazy one I did that you might like.

~T

It is 3-D...and a pocket behind the 100 dollar bill holds small cards with quotes from Mr. Franklin...those are with the little ribbon tags you see sticking out.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014 10:54:05 PM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #174 on: January 21, 2014 06:26:48 AM »

Love your nest page, faemystique! Can't wait to see it finished.

Awesome journals cmarion3! I especially love the cover with the lettering. My first coptic stitch was definitely too loose, haha. I ended up gluing a leather cover over it, it kind of helped.

stillatthetop - love the dollar pocket! Very cool.

Don't worry, Ludi. I'm with you. My next page is only in the planning phase.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmarion3

Earth Crone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: January 21, 2014 07:24:21 AM »

Thanks everyone for sharing and thanks for the good vibes and for the great ideas!

I find that journaling with art is a much longer process. Waiting for glue or paint to dry. Layering takes time. Drying time is sometimes overnight or more than a day. And you really never know what you have until it is dry. So patience is a virtue here...and I often rush things and have pages stick together and make interesting globs. I don't use Mod Podge for that reason...in the summer humidity it never gives up it's stickiness and in the winter it still takes a long time to dry. So I've been using a 3-1 Elmer's glue mix and for heavier things or a stickier bond, Tacky glue.

I'm finding that books are good for pens, pencils and pastels but not for wet things because I can only work on one spread at a time. I think I will start loose pages for more enthusiastic works that can be bound later when I have enough pages. Probably to a 1/2 sheet size. I'll have to explore some edge bindings for these pages....maybe a fan binding. Hmmm. Better just paint/collage/draw/doodle and then figure it out.

Anyone else find that a great procrastination item is finding or making the perfect book? Then being to scared to mess it up? Start one or more "practice" journals. Then mine the practice for re-purposed items, ideas and techniques. What do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #176 on: January 21, 2014 08:29:57 AM »

I'm making loose pages to start with.  I have purchased books in the past and have not wanted to "mess them up."    Tongue  I should probably try to be more haphazard and messy to overcome my perfectionist tendencies....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmarion3

Earth Crone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: January 21, 2014 08:47:26 AM »

I'm making loose pages to start with.  I have purchased books in the past and have not wanted to "mess them up."    Tongue  I should probably try to be more haphazard and messy to overcome my perfectionist tendencies....

Accidently spill some coffee on it or drop it in a puddle...voila! Not perfect anymore!  Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
Smmarrt

« Reply #178 on: January 21, 2014 08:52:06 AM »

Oliver Jeffers, a British illustrator and children's book author/illustrator, did a whole series on coffee rings. I've been wanting to try it too.

http://www.oliverjeffers.com/projects/a-world-with-coffee
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinterest.com/smmarrt/
Fabric Art Journal Pages Swap ROUND 3 - Done
Altered Puzzle Pieces - Done
Ninni Swap in late August
Fall Dotee Swap - Sign ups NOW!
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #179 on: January 21, 2014 09:24:29 AM »

Brian Froud did cool stuff with coffee stains, too.

I apologize for the URL title, but the pic is worth it.

Now I totally want to incorporate coffee stains in a page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 67 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 10/19
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 1/19
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 12/19
How to Crochet Leaves Part 6/6
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 11/19
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...