A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 304,754
Currently Running With Scissors:
769 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 68
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Art journaling and altered journaling along - ongoing - 2014 until ???  (Read 42968 times)
Tags for this thread: art_journal  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cmarion3
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014 12:25:53 PM »

I have "finish art book" on my 101 Things to do in 1,001 Days list. I need some motivation to keep me going.

Wow you can actually finish one of those?Huh

I'm always caught between the "fun" part...making the book, getting paint everywhere, etc. and the actual "doing".

I think the best way to begin is to use a notebook, journal or simple sketch pad and start trying out techniques. Putting my mind in "practice" mode turns off or at least mutes a bit, the "critic" that lives perched on my brain. You can always take your favorite bits and work them into your fancier art journal.

I've been practicing my lettering and a regular notebook works great for this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Art Journaling and Fabric Art Journaling
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
pollyprissypants

I'll bet you ride a Schwinn, Schwinnrider!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014 12:29:51 PM »

Huzzah! I'm totally in. I started an art/soul journal a few days ago, and am holding steady at one entry per day. I know that pace is a bit optimistic once the break is over, so I'm setting a goal of at four entries a week. That way, if I fall behind, no harm no foul.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goddessgarb
Artful Journeyer

I am not your carpet ride; I am the sky...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014 01:10:25 PM »

Three years ago, almost exactly, I started my very first visual journal inspired by the original thread for this.  It changed my life, and now I have a couple dozen, a few of them even sort of finished.  Wink  I am SO glad someone has resurrected and EXPANDED this!  I love to see every possible interpretation of the word art journal or visual journal or creative journal, and from people at every stage of their process.  I just got a brand new computer and have no pictures on it yet, but I did just happen to take this one of a page in progress with some supplies I was organizing (don't mind the bare toes), so I'll share that for fun.  It's done in a hardbound book about nature that I'm altering.  It has thick, sturdy pages so I'm not tearing any out or gluing them together, and I'm really trying to use some of the imagery in the book as a foundation to my own art.  The butterfly, fish, and shell, plus the word NATURAL, were all in the book.  I gesso'd over everything around them, then wrote with big brush pen (which was dying, so it's streaky and light) about what the page is about, then I think I acually left it open and smeared color that was leftover from another project all around the images.  The theme is one that is personal and powerful and ongoing for me, to I'm letting the page evolve as its different parts come to me.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://theartfuljourney.wordpress.com
Paper and Ephemera Swap Rd. 11 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431439.20
Open to Personal Swapping, esp. mail art, supplies, and ephemera
teag
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014 01:23:50 PM »

ooh i have started a journal for this year based on this concept:
http://www.robenmarie.com/blog/2013/12/14/the-documented-life-project.html

I am using a 1995 daily planner for my journal Have added Tabs and watercolor pages one per week as suggested and plan to follow the prompts-I Plan to use the  daily entries for random thoughts, ideas,venting, gratitude and inspiration.

This is what I have so far:

I am Currently creating background images using watercolors (cause it's what I Have) not geli prints as suggested

the inside of the fold out will be used for the challenges and the watercolor backgrounds will be used for whatever i am feeling that week
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014 01:55:18 PM by teag » THIS ROCKS   Logged

SonjaBoo

Bring it on

Napper extraordinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014 04:09:05 PM »

Oh yay -- this thread has been recreated for the New Year! I have multiple journals going on at a time -- my goal this year is to actually finish at least one of them, probably start another one. I'd like to do a project life type of thing as well -- which means I really need to get cranking on that one... two days into January already!

Recently at work, our marketing department moved to a different floor -- that meant that one of our groups was "purging" (recycling) a ridiculous amount of paper sample books. I filled two giant boxes with them and brought them home. I think they are perfect bases for altered books. I feel kind of proud of myself for saving them, and also ashamed at being such a paper hoarder. Ha! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Acadian Driftwood

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014 05:23:36 PM »

I'll join! I want to do some work on my neglected altered journal, and the altered book that ChameleonHound and I are swapping back and forth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone have a couple extra felting needles? I'll trade for them!

Pinterest

Etsy shop
cmarion3

Earth Crone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014 05:44:14 PM »

Recently at work, our marketing department moved to a different floor -- that meant that one of our groups was "purging" (recycling) a ridiculous amount of paper sample books. I filled two giant boxes with them and brought them home. I think they are perfect bases for altered books. I feel kind of proud of myself for saving them, and also ashamed at being such a paper hoarder. Ha! Grin

I worked in advertising for many years and love the paper sample books. Amazing papers, ideas, etc. I still have many samples at the 8.5 x 11 size (letterhead) and miss the ready source. It's been many years now. You are so lucky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
Avesthel

<3 birds <3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014 09:32:42 PM »

michelleandbean - Welcome!!   Smiley   I hope it helps you with your journaling!  

cmarion3 - good idea about working in a practice book to overcome the critic in your head.   Smiley  

pollyprissypants-  Welcome!!   Smiley   I hope we can see some of your pages!   Smiley

goddessgarb - Glad to have you with us!   And that is so awesome it has changed your life.  I really am hoping it will do that for me too.  I feel a need to journal, but I'm not one to feel comfortable writing my thoughts down in a journal.    I think this will help me get out what I need to get out but in a more private way.   Smiley    Your pages are looking great, I love the bright colors and how are using what was already there.   Smiley

teag - What a neat way to journal!   Smiley   Your journal looks great!   I really like the watercolor backgrounds.   Smiley

SonjaBoo - Sounds like a great score!   Cheesy    I hope to see some of your pages!   Smiley

Acadian Driftwood - Welcome!!  Smiley    That's really neat that you guys are swapping an altered book back and forth!   Cheesy    Looking forward to seeing your pages!

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014 09:34:06 PM by Avesthel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mariak
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014 02:52:01 AM »

I love the idea of swapping one back and forth with somebody.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmarion3

Earth Crone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014 05:47:42 AM »

I like the swap idea as well...I'm going to offer that as an exercise in my class. Cool. Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 68 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lemon Blueberry Pancake Recipe
How to Make Sassy Tailgate Sandwiches
Brown Butter Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe
Easy Homemade Chicken, Sausage and Seafood Gumbo
The Ultimate Muffaletta MANwich
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...