A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 316,235
Currently Running With Scissors:
280 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 70
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Art journaling and altered journaling along - ongoing - 2014 until ???  (Read 99921 times)
Tags for this thread: art_journal  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stillatthetop
« Reply #500 on: March 03, 2014 02:37:21 PM »

Thank you all for your suggestions...teag...neat ideas to know what to do with moleskin. Those style books are on my wish list. I will have to look when I craft shop again.

Abbeeroad...Your husband just needs a kiss  Grin A smootch of red on that page would look grand, I think. You could lipstick it on paper, then spray seal it, and stick/stitch it on. Your own actual lips. Kiss the paper. Or try with fabric, too. If you ink up your pucker enough...it should put lipstick on his collar  Grin I like how you made your pages there, too. Neat for the back to back style. Or would that be back to front  Huh

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NEW REQUEST: Need quilting fabric with ONLY purple, grey, green. Solids or Prints in any combination/shades, but NO OTHER COLORS ALLOWED. HELP! They are hard to find.
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
LovelyMiss
Craftalongs Moderator
Home Sweet Home Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #501 on: March 03, 2014 02:50:14 PM »

I actually learned that "fake calligraphy" technique from this site.  I even used her font, so if you like, it is very learnable!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stillatthetop
« Reply #502 on: March 03, 2014 06:47:19 PM »

Thanks LovelyMiss! That is a great site to learn from. And she mentions the pencil first technique, too. I think that will give me more confidence to not mess up an already pretty page with a boo-boo. Until I get the hang of things. Then I can bark with the big doggies...and not just sit on the porch  Grin Wonderful share!

~T

Ooops. And I didn't mean to leave out cmarion3's suggestions. Those are good ones, too. I am sure that I am not the only member who struggles with this issue. But I have gotten beautiful cards in trades from the past {not just this site} and I always envy the wonderful writing. I do need to practice more. My shopping list looks like pig latin. Grin
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014 07:05:40 PM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

NEW REQUEST: Need quilting fabric with ONLY purple, grey, green. Solids or Prints in any combination/shades, but NO OTHER COLORS ALLOWED. HELP! They are hard to find.
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Smmarrt

« Reply #503 on: March 04, 2014 12:33:11 PM »

I bought a compostition book at the dollar store and I carry it with me when I know I'll be standing in line or waiting - like at the airport. I just use pencil and ballpoint and practice handwriting, fonts and and I even try to make up styles of alphabets. I print out fonts and just tape the designs to the left-hand page and copy on the right.

I don't like my handwriting on my pages which is why I use rubber stamps a lot but I am trying to love it more.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2014 12:33:56 PM by Smmarrt » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinterest.com/smmarrt/
Summer Ninni Swap - crafting
Mini Junk Journal Swap - crafting
Craftster Trading Cards - Eeek! I'm in
stillatthetop
« Reply #504 on: March 04, 2014 01:01:39 PM »

That is a great idea smmarrt. I guess that is where you got your name. Grin I have spread out font samples on my desk, and worked from there...but a carry along would be good, even for traveling on the road...{I generally have a driver.} Bumps and curves in the road might help free me up, too. I tense up when I have to write. cmarion3 mentioned posture...and I have to remember that when I practice my writing. I use it in my vocal studies with relaxing the shoulders, so I guess I just need to adjust it for this project, too.

I have liked to use the grid papers to practice in the past. They make those composition style, too. And then you can see if you are makeing good slants, etc. But I haven't done that in a while. I just need to jump back into it. Thanks for all your inspirations. I am glad I am not alone  Roll Eyes

~T

Hey, another question. Where are your favorite places for finding writing prompt words...stuff like "Imagine, Dream, Wish, Love" those types of words? It would be nice not to just waste my practice pieces. I figure I could cut them out and collage them into something later.

Oh, and one thing I have learned...spacing of letters is important. That is called kerning. You imagine each letter as a vase...and allow the same air space on either side. To balance the word. Depending on the letter, they could be closer or need to be farther apart. So you can't just use a ruler...you have to train your eyeballs. That is part of where I slip up often. I plan to try some of the overlap letter styles, too.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014 01:21:21 PM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

teag
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #505 on: March 04, 2014 04:31:25 PM »

smmarrt great minds think alike Grin I, too use a composition notebook for practicing fonts, and i often glue in interesting fonts I find in magazines, catalogs etc

here is my week 10 challenge for the documented life project which was to Make a list of the things that make you YOU.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smmarrt

« Reply #506 on: March 04, 2014 05:52:20 PM »

Maybe I got that idea from you, teag? I am sure someone smarter than me thought it up.

Anywho, this is what I worked on instead of finishing journal pages. Next time I paint a piece of canvas, I should keep some paper near by so I can complete some backgrounds....

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=432005.msg5168896#msg5168896
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinterest.com/smmarrt/
Summer Ninni Swap - crafting
Mini Junk Journal Swap - crafting
Craftster Trading Cards - Eeek! I'm in
stillatthetop
« Reply #507 on: March 04, 2014 08:15:03 PM »

There is another artist who does things similar, smmarrt. He is an artist who cleans his brushes...and mails empty boxes around the world. Decorated with the extra paints from his works. Franck De Las Mercedes.

Mine came with Love... My Mom got one labeled Happiness. They are small empty boxes perfect for recipies, or other little bits to store in them. They are free. Kind of like the donate to your city type of projects that are seen on the boards of this site... here: Just email, and he will send you one. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/331862169/the-priority-boxes-spreading-peace-one-box-at-a-ti 

I think he ran out of letters. It should have read one box at a time  Cheesy But I got my pretty box. And Mom was puzzled when she got hers. I kept it as a surprise for her. But she figured it was me.  Grin He is a very interesting artist. If you google you can see some of his works.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yoopidou
« Reply #508 on: March 04, 2014 09:15:09 PM »

Another great page Teag.
I like how you wrote all about you on the eyelashes, it's such a fun idea. The blue eye looks very real too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmarion3

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #509 on: March 05, 2014 05:16:22 AM »

I love all the ideas and the links. Now just give me more time!

I use opened paper bags as my "drop cloth" and clean my brushes, use up extra paint,  paint over the edges of things, stamps, and clean extra ink of stamps.....everything on this drop cloth. Makes wonderful messy backgrounds. Then they become journal pages, wrapping paper, ATC backings, cards.

Smmaart I love the kids drop cloth....true random messiness is hard to duplicate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Must craft....must craft.....
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 70 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
August 24, 2016 Featured Projects
OOOOOHKLAHOMA! Where the wind...
Tute Tuesday: Hand-Bound Book

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...