A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 67
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Art journaling and altered journaling along - ongoing - 2014 until ???  (Read 40279 times)
Tags for this thread: art_journal  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Avesthel
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

<3 birds <3

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2014 03:32:58 PM »

Thanks, SonjaBoo!   Smiley   I like that they have a sewn binding and they're pretty cheap.   Smiley   Plus I already have one.   Cheesy   Your notebooks sound lovely and that sounds like a great way to make work a little happier.   Smiley

pollyprissypants - thanks for the link!   I added it to the first post.  Smiley   Glad to hear that you are making your goal of focusing more on the positive!   Smiley

angielou1- welcome!   Smiley   I think cmarion3 is right, I think you just have to start.   Smiley    You can do whatever you would like or maybe even multiple journals.  You can make more fabric art journal pages or find a book to start making art in.   I'm going to alter a regular composition book like the one in the link I posted earlier. 
http://www.lilblueboo.com/2009/07/making-composition-book-art-journal.html
Do you have an old planner from a prior year?  Teag is using one and altering those pages.  I think its a great way to recycle old planners!   Smiley 
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430511.msg5139346;topicseen#msg5139346
I put some video tutorials in the first post about gluing pages and thinning out your books to get you started.  Plus the same lady has more vidoes on how to start altering your books.     And there are so many more to watch on youtube for inspiration and instruction.   Smiley

cmarion3 - thanks for sharing some pages!   I love the page with the chickens and garden.   Cheesy   And your book is really neat!   Love the beads on the binding and that you used bags for the pages!   Are the bags all cut apart as individual pages or did you leave some as pockets when sewing them?   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pollyprissypants

I'll bet you ride a Schwinn, Schwinnrider!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2014 03:36:38 PM »

I'd like to join too. But how do we start. I don't have a journal or book to alter yet. I only have one page.I played in the Fabric Art Journal Pages Swap Round One and I am also participating in Fabric Art Journal Pages Swap Round Two.
Should I make "fabric pages" for a "fabric Book? and alter/add pages as I go? I used to do art/draw when I was younger and would like to go back to it.

I started with a sketchbook. I'm not much of a draw-er, so I'm not really sure why I bought it in the first place. It had a few things in it, so I ripped out the first five pages and completely started over. I like a sketchbook because the pages are unlined and the spiral makes it easy to open wide. Go with what's most comfortable to you.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014 04:49:57 PM by pollyprissypants » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmarion3

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2014 03:51:28 PM »

Ahh....jenniebellie was my muse! I loved her tut on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec04rVh0ndU She really inspired me and I love my little book.

No I forgot to do pockets  Cry and miss them, but I've sewn a few pockets in and plan on adding parts of envelopes either sewn or glued in. The pages are just paper bags and started out as protection for my desktop. I love the messiness and I've started a new drop cloth/paper. I use up any paint and clear paint off brushes and clear stamps on it.....talk about recycling and reusing. I already have my next journal in mind.

By the way, some of the beads are paper beads....so easy and wonderful. YouTube it!

This is becoming my fav post...shh don't tell anyone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Art Journaling and Fabric Art Journaling
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
pollyprissypants

I'll bet you ride a Schwinn, Schwinnrider!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2014 08:09:27 PM »

I have two pages to share today. Bear with me, please; I'm not much of an artist, but I do so love to color!
The first one is from Sarah Whitmire's Soul Journaling prompts. She talks about creating a 'soul armor'. You find an interesting picture of armor, then write words all over that are things you need to feel creative and silence the critics (including yourself as critic). I thought it was a really cool thing to do. I wish you could see the words I wrote better, but that's okay. In any leftover space, I repeatedly wrote "shake the haters off" (and I was singing it in my head the whole time, too Wink).

The second photo is of today's effort. I've been doing a lot of thinking about hope and faith; how they work together and how both are pretty much necessary for each to survive. I wasn't thinking of faith in terms of religion, but about faith in myself and the world around me. I wrote about each of them on their own page, then used glitter glue to highlight some important phrases (balanced, just let go, faith in myself, I'm on the right path).

I know they're not that pretty, I'm not much of an artist. I just really wanted to share!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014 08:10:41 PM by pollyprissypants » THIS ROCKS   Logged

yoopidou

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2014 10:35:55 PM »

I tried to create an art journal last year but I am not comfortable with putting out my inner thoughts in the open, so I stopped after a couple months. So, I'm thinking of creating an art journal that would be a collection of art pieces( watercolor, drawings, photos, sketches of craft projects...) and another journal that would be a travel/activity journal. Would these fit this craftalong?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Avesthel

<3 birds <3

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2014 12:32:54 AM »

I love that the pages are from bags that you used as the drop cloth for your desk!   Smiley   And I love that video!   So inspired after seeing it, thank you for sharing it.  I added it to the front page.   I'm going to watch it again tomorrow when I'm more awake and try to glean more ideas.   Smiley  That's really neat you made some of the beads too!   Looks great and such a personal touch as well.   Smiley   Yay!   Glad you are having fun with the post!   I am too!   Smiley

Thanks for sharing your pages, pollyprissypants!   Smiley   I love the suit of armor one and the idea of it.  Smiley  Did you feel more free after you finished it?   

yoopidou - Yes, I think they would, please do join!   Smiley    I'm not comfortable either with sharing very personal things.   If its too personal I probably just won't share a page I did.  But other pages are just going to be for the fun of creating it, or an excuse to try a new art product / technique  etc.  and I won't mind sharing them.   Smiley     One thing I read that I want to try is to actually write out a personal journal on a blank page and then paint over it so my words are masked (completely? mostly?) and then do some sort (unrelated?) art over the top.   I will remember what the art meant to me, but anyone else wouldn't be privy to my thoughts.   Smiley     
THIS ROCKS   Logged

faemystique

RN who crafts like she's on Crack!

Making my art a priority in 2014!

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2014 01:01:47 AM »

I love it, sounds good.  I altered a book and started my first art journal last month.  I haven't posted my latest two pages and I have another double page that is in the midst of being created as well.  I also joined Tamara LaPointe's LifeBook 2014 which I am way excited for!!  That should spur on some creativity where this is concerned as well.

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2014 06:50:32 AM »

Thank you for sharing your pages, polly!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmarion3

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2014 08:19:25 AM »

Love the pages pollyprissypants! I like the layering and the mixture of big words and thoughts and journaling. And I love the protective armour!

In all my internet touring and exploring, I've really come to recognize that this is a very open, anything goes, genre. Whatever you want to do will fit! From just word journals to all art sketchbooks to scrap/smash books. In fact, I am a little overwhelmed with the options. Be still my churning brain.

And one thing I am learning to do and it is very hard...is to stop apologizing for my work!. I've gotten to the point of not actually saying "This is not very good, or I'm not an artist but...". Now I have to stop thinking it. We are our own worst critic and very harsh on ourselves. So don't say anything, accept the praise and smile. We are artists, we are good, we are Craftsters!

OK, off my soap box and out into the cold to try to start my car. I'm on a quest for a new sewing machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Art Journaling and Fabric Art Journaling
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
Avesthel

<3 birds <3

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2014 09:31:09 AM »

polly, I meant to write this last night, but completely forgot.   Are you interested in learning to draw?   If so, I recommend a book called "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards.   Smiley   

faemystique - welcome!!   Smiley   I look forward to seeing your pages!   Smiley   

I am learning to stop apologizing for my work as well.  I think that because art is so personal that sharing it can be scary and so its natural to want to protect it from criticism by pointing out the flaws first before someone else does.    I'm re-reading the book "The Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron and she said something related to this that I wanted to share.  I'm paraphrasing since I don't have it here in front of me but it was along the lines of.... in order to become a skilled artist you have to let yourself be a beginning artist and make mistakes.  Because it is only from these mistakes that you grow.    It's along the lines of the 10000 hours idea that it takes 10000 hours of practice and effort in a field to become a master in it.   Smiley

One of my favorite quotes on this subject is by Ira Glass on Creativity:

Nobody tells this to people who are beginners, I wish someone told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, its just not that good. Its trying to be good, it has potential, but its not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase, they quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesnt have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know its normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one story. It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone Ive ever met. Its gonna take awhile. Its normal to take awhile. Youve just gotta fight your way through.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 67 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Crumpled Paper in Photoshop CS3
How to Create Old Burnt Parchment Paper in Photoshop CS3
How to Create Torn or Ripped Paper in Photoshop CS3
How to Create Transparency in an Image in Photoshop CS3
How to Crop an Image in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...