A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
370 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 68
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Art journaling and altered journaling along - ongoing - 2014 until ???  (Read 46449 times)
Tags for this thread: art_journal  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2014 07:19:19 AM »

Here's a page with a lot of prompts and ideas:  http://www.blacksburgbelle.com/2010/10/50-art-journal-prompts/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2014 08:00:47 AM »

I want to join too!

I'm thinking one page a month. Also going the fabric route.

Smmarrt is hosting round 2 of the Fabric Art Journal Pages Swap. Maybe some here would be interested?

Love the Spirit Cloth link, Ludi!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greybird

<3 birds <3

formerly Avesthel

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2014 08:15:45 AM »

Ludi - Great link, thanks!   Cheesy   I added it to the first post.    Smiley    

Abbeeroad - Welcome!!   Smiley   I'm looking forward to seeing your pages and the gallery for that swap too!   Smiley

Here's a link to an altered composition book tutorial:
http://www.lilblueboo.com/2009/07/making-composition-book-art-journal.html

I don't think I'll add the phone book pages like she did.   I will be gluing pages together and then using gesso as a base to some (all?) of the pages.  Not sure I want a completely white background.  Maybe a thin layer so you can still see the lines.  Or maybe I will add some newspaper or phone book pages to it (but not completely covered like she did) so there is some interesting text visible.    I really like how she punched some holes and sewed with embroidery thread.   
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014 08:22:48 AM by Avesthel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

SonjaBoo

Bring it on

Napper extraordinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2014 10:31:25 AM »

Ludi, that's a great link off prompts! I love "journal about your unhealthy habits." That could potentially be hilarious. Grin

Avesthel, I like the idea of using composition books for altered journals! I have a bunch of composition books that I have altered the covers on. I have been happy with how they have turned out -- I use them at work for notebooks. It makes note taking a bit happier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pollyprissypants

I'll bet you ride a Schwinn, Schwinnrider!

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2014 11:36:32 AM »

I've been using this for inspiration:
http://www.souljournaling.com/prompts.php

It seems like this one's theme is positivity. I seem to have a lot of great things going for me, yet I can only see the things that are lacking. I hate this, I really do; I need to change it. Out with the negative, in with the positive. So far, things are going well!  Cheesy

Also- Went to Ludi's link to check it out, pinned it for further inspection, and ran across a whole SLEW of other journalers who pin great topics on Pinterest. Who knew?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014 12:44:49 PM by pollyprissypants » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Team Wordy!

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2014 01:39:49 PM »

I like the focus on positivity.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
angielou1
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2014 02:18:23 PM »

I'd like to join too. But how do we start. I don't have a journal or book to alter yet. I only have one page.I played in the Fabric Art Journal Pages Swap Round One and I am also participating in Fabric Art Journal Pages Swap Round Two.
Should I make "fabric pages" for a "fabric Book? and alter/add pages as I go? I used to do art/draw when I was younger and would like to go back to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmarion3

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2014 02:20:33 PM »

I have three art sketchbook/journals going right now. One is my idea book. I try things out, sketch out ideas, jot phrases and words I want to use or not forget. I even jot down books or movies that I hear about. Design ATC's and craftster swap projects. I practice here. Sometimes I transfer pages to another journal.

The next is a travel sketch book that I have sporadically drawn in for years and it only has maybe 15 pages!

The last was from a tutorial I found on YouTube as a test for my Journaling class. I love it. It's all from recycled materials and was easy to put together. I like the small size as I can put one theme/thought per page and finish in an evening. I've been experimenting with colored pencils, watercolor pencils, pastels (with hair spray fixative) and of course testing every marker I have. I have a gray Crayola marker that I have become quite fond of. It makes great shadows.

See more at: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=429357.0#axzz2pNPO1P9E
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Art Journaling and Fabric Art Journaling
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
cmarion3

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2014 02:35:27 PM »

I'd like to join too. But how do we start. I don't have a journal or book to alter yet. I only have one page.I played in the Fabric Art Journal Pages Swap Round One and I am also participating in Fabric Art Journal Pages Swap Round Two.
Should I make "fabric pages" for a "fabric Book? and alter/add pages as I go? I used to do art/draw when I was younger and would like to go back to it.

I think that you just have to start. Many of us started with just a notebook, then started sketching, writing and altering. It's a little overwhelming to not have any rules, but wow, anything goes! I call it a meld of journal, sketchbook, scrapbook and doodles (don't ask me my opinion on zentangles, love the result but do not love the hype and branding around them. Reminds me of pet rocks). You can also do loose folded pages that can be gathered later into a book or journal.

As I just posted, I have at least three journals. I'm slowly learning to give up a linear journal and just pick a page and go. I also have to learn to come back and add/alter/cover over anything else I have done.

Also quieting that noisy inner critic is so hard. But ignore the whiny creature and go on.

As to the fabric journal, I have two pages now and just joined round 2 of the swap. I'm not sure what I am going to do with them. I think I just have to sit with the ideas, follow the discussions and something will come to me. Usually does, but not always when I want them to!

So just start. Call it a practice Art Journal if that helps. Also just search  Google or YouTube for Art Journal Pages or search Pinterest. Amazing ideas out there, just don't get discouraged, everyone always posts their best stuff not their less than great things. (I find they make good backgrounds for other pages.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Art Journaling and Fabric Art Journaling
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
SonjaBoo

Bring it on

Napper extraordinaire

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2014 03:24:58 PM »

cmarion3, your journals are lovely! I love the use of beads on the side of the last one. Have you ever checked out jenniebellie on YouTube? She uses a lot of beads in her journals. She also has some fun ideas for recycled materials, if anyone is interested in that too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 68 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Basic Photography Lighting Setups Tutorial
How to use Lighting Ratios in Photography
How to use Your Sekonic Light Meter
Portrait Photography Tips
How to use 2 Different Light Setups in Photography
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...