A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 68
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Art journaling and altered journaling along - ongoing - 2014 until ???  (Read 46056 times)
Tags for this thread: art_journal  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Avesthel
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

<3 birds <3

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2014 09:04:42 AM »

Welcome to the new Ongoing Art Journaling and Altered Journal along!    This is ongoing until the thread gets too long and then we can start a new one so we don't need a new one each year.   Smiley

One of the things I'd like to start doing is visual art journaling.   I hope you will join in and share your pages as well!   Please DO feel free to just jump in and join us at any time.   Cheesy

All types of art journaling is welcome!   Start with a composition notebook, alter a book, make your own journal or use a premade sketch book with plain white pages.   Anything!   

Prior threads to browse for inspiration, ideas and techniques:
Ongoing Altered journal along (2008 - 2013) - there's a list of themes here that you can use to get started if you need ideas.   Smiley
2013 Art Journal along

Bookbinding techniques:
Coptic Stitch binding
How to bind your own hardback
Crafter's list of bookbinding tutorials

Some technique videos on youtube to get you started:
Altered books: gluing pages by Suzette Morrow
Altered Books-Thin Your Pages and Solid Blocks by Suzette Morrow
She has other videos on altered books that are really useful too!   Smiley
Some Principles of Art Explained
How to Make 100% recycled Art Journal from Cereal Boxes

Altered journals and books, art journals:   Ideas, Inspiration, getting started
Composition book art Journal
Art Journaling 101
http://www.createmixedmedia.com/
http://www.arttradermag.com/
http://artjournalingwithcarol.blogspot.com/
http://artjournalist.com/category/getting-started/

Fabric / Mixed Media Art journals:
Spirit cloth
Gallery for Fabric Art journal pages swap - round 1
Gallery for Fabric Art journal pages swap - round 2

Prompts for your art journals:
http://www.blacksburgbelle.com/2010/10/50-art-journal-prompts/
http://www.souljournaling.com/prompts.php
http://journal52.com/

Articles:
Let go of Fear and Control with Art Journaling

Ephemera ideas:
For this link, this post plus the next few posts list a bunch of various ideas for places to find ephemera:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430511.msg5153932#msg5153932

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014 11:47:16 AM by Avesthel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avesthel

<3 birds <3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014 09:05:04 AM »

Monthly themes:  These themes are just suggestions to inspire you and prompt you if you need some sort of idea to get you going.   Smiley      No pressure, no requirements, no worries!    

♥ Falling behind and doing the theme late?   No problem!   Just share when/if you can!   Smiley
♥ Theme just doesn't inspire you?   Then just skip it, no worries!   Smiley
♥ Can you show pages not to theme?  Of course!!!   Cheesy   We always want to see new pages!   Smiley
♥ I'm new, can I do old themes?  Please do!   Cheesy    
♥ I'm not a theme person, can I still join?   Of course!!  The themes are only for inspiration, not a requirement.   Smiley
♥ How closely do I have to stick to the theme?  There are no rules!  It's just an inspiration prompt.   Smiley   Be creative!

Current themes:   Flowers, Self Portraits, Hearts/Love, Coffee, Rain

Future theme suggestions:

Past themes:  
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014 11:35:05 AM by Avesthel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avesthel

<3 birds <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014 09:05:29 AM »

just in case    Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmarion3

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014 09:19:55 AM »

Thank you Avesthel. I am just getting back into art journaling with a whole new perspective. My previous views of an art journal consists of a sketch book and end of semester need to fill up pages with charcoal sketches....

I take a sketch book on vacation and it languishes in my bag, adding weight and not much else. I gather ephemera and throw it away when I pull out my travel bags for a new trip. Yeesh.

So with trepidation and not too much forethought, I agreed to teach an Art Journaling class as an adult ed piece at my church. 4 sessions, once a month...starting in about 3 weeks.

I've been having fun with the art piece, but not so much with the journal piece. I'm pretty sure the students will be mostly non-artists and will want to do it the "right way". As though there was one manual to follow with step by step instructions.

I'm comfortable with the anything goes method of art (which is why Craftster is near and dear to my heart), but I'm going to have to gently lead them on into finding their own voice/drawing/scribble style.

Any suggestions on starting exercises would be helpful....just ideas to help me build exercises around.

And my pledge to 2014 Art Journaling: Craft one page completely per week, add details to additional pages every day! Pick up that book every day.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014 09:22:16 AM by cmarion3 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Art Journaling and Fabric Art Journaling
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014 10:02:52 AM »

Thank you for starting this thread, Avesthel!  I've gone through periods of written journal-keeping, and am planning to start a fabric art journal, which will really be a mixed-media art journal with both fabric and paper elements.  Not quite sure how this will fit into my life already crowded with making things, but it's something I want to try.

Here's a website I find very inspirational about journal-like fabric art:  http://www.spiritcloth.typepad.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
Avesthel

<3 birds <3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014 10:30:00 AM »

You're welcome!   Smiley

cmarion - Wow!   Good luck with your class!   Smiley   I've read a lot about art journaling, but new to the actual process.   Maybe start with the journal itself... finding it, prepping it, gluing pages, gesso pages or not, painting backgrounds, collecting bits and bobs to glue in etc?   This is where I am right now.  I am in the process of picking out what I want to work in and then prepping it for the art.   I think my biggest problem is that I want it to look perfect, but I need to just relax and learn and let it be what it wants to be and just experiment...even if it is a 'fail'.   I can still learn from it.    Hopefully people with more experience can jump in and help with more ideas.    Smiley

Ludi - yes!   I forgot the fabric art journals so I added them and the link you gave at the top.  Thanks!   Cheesy    I'm looking forward to seeing your journal as it progresses.    Smiley     
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Team Wordy!

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014 10:37:19 AM »

I'm thinking of doing a page a week and try not to get hung up on it being perfect, which is my downfall with most projects; perfectionism and extreme fear of failure, to the point of becoming unable to make anything.   Tongue  Hey, there's my theme for the first page or two - facing fear of not being able to make anything "good enough!"  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
mariak

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014 10:59:27 AM »

Same as others, thanks for starting it.  Smiley I started getting into art journalling last year. I have always loved art and craft. I also am making a fabric art journal because of craftster starting a swap last month for one page, i have just joined up for the next 2nd swap and i am also doing a personal swap for a page with Fancybutch.  Smiley I also have a Journal made by Avesthel from a swap.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avesthel

<3 birds <3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014 11:17:22 AM »

I'm thinking of doing a page a week and try not to get hung up on it being perfect, which is my downfall with most projects; perfectionism and extreme fear of failure, to the point of becoming unable to make anything.   Tongue  Hey, there's my theme for the first page or two - facing fear of not being able to make anything "good enough!"  Shocked
That is totally me too...I get frozen before I even get started.  Which is why is has taken me so long to venture into this.   Good idea for a theme!   Smiley

Mariak - You're welcome!  I was wanting a new thread too so I decided to just do it.   Cheesy    Cool!  I hope you will show us your progress and I'd be thrilled to see pages you've worked on in the journal I made for you!   Cheesy

I'm thinking I might just start with a composition book I bought earlier to start an altered journal in.   I need to get some pages glued together in it though.   Smiley    I'm also tempted to make a junk journal for myself and use it as my altered art book.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whatthepuck
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014 12:02:58 PM »

I have "finish art book" on my 101 Things to do in 1,001 Days list. I need some motivation to keep me going.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vintage Etsy ~ Blog

Portia my Little Visitor's facebook

Swaps:
Secret Santa
Little Visitor
Nov ATC 2/0/0
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 68 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Pinata
How to Make Bunny Ears
How to Choose the Right Needles for a Knitting Project
How to Turn a Large Sock Into a Tiny Dog Sweater
How to Make a Daisy Chain
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...