A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,273
Currently Running With Scissors:
572 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 85
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2014 DeStash-Along (CLOSED)  (Read 64015 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Your life is what you make of it

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #620 on: August 06, 2014 04:03:18 PM »

I experimented last year with natural plant material...I am hoping to try some paper making this year with this knowledge...I just have to find another blender...I learn so much from everyone here and from google and wikipedia...I just love the rough texture of the handmade papers...I hope more people will post
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jfer007
« Reply #621 on: August 06, 2014 05:59:04 PM »

I love that paper! What a good idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chirel
« Reply #622 on: August 06, 2014 10:16:07 PM »

Cota tinctoria here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cota_tinctoria

Washing soda is used for removing lignin and some other things from the plants. The plants brake down to fiber easier and they will last time and light better (think of bad quality newspaper, it's full of lignin). Or something I'm not a chemist either and it's been years since I read about the theory of papermaking. Here is a better explanation of things http://maybabcock.wordpress.com/2013/06/27/phragmites-australis-can-be-made-into-paper/

Sadly the finished paper doesn't really smell (Also a good thing Grin), but during the process the orange smell was delightful Smiley

Now, how long are they going to be in your stash before you use them? Grin

Cheesy Good question! The orange papers I'm going to use for cards this X-mas and I think will need to use some of the other batch too. The flawed papers I was thinking to give to a friend who swaps a lot and the rest Cheesy My best bet is that I'll try to sell them. I have this funny idea that I'll learn the routine to make paper from all the fruit peels and rinds and sell them to buy more yummu fruits for us to eat Smiley \o/ I'm not sure I'll ever get there though.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014 10:35:29 PM by chirel » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #623 on: August 07, 2014 02:44:45 AM »

Love the handmade paper  Smiley Great texture! I've made paper from junk mail before and thoroughly enjoyed myself  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best
50 in '14
50 in '15
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

« Reply #624 on: August 07, 2014 06:08:17 AM »

Thanks for the explanation and the link...I am fascinated by processes...so few people these days understand where our basic everyday things come from...your handmade papers would be lovely for additions to altered art, notecards, etc.  I see handmade papers at art festivals all summer...a sheet lasts a long time...believe me, I have a drawer of them! Grin

hmmm...I never thought to trade them...maybe in some of the swaps it would make a nice extra!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kbrison

Genealogists trace history

View Profile WWW
« Reply #625 on: August 07, 2014 12:31:32 PM »

Chirel, thanks for the links. Very pretty flowers. Good luck with the paper production. Never thought about making it to sell although I've certain bought it before. Duh! Boot to the head!

AIMR, yes, including some handmade papers as extras would be nice for all of us papercrafters, but I think it would be even more awesome if there were a swap. Maybe after the holidays since everything seems to be picking up right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

http://pinterest.com/ancientofdays/
50/50 in 2015, 185/14, 47/13
Scrappy Happy Swap - crafting
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

« Reply #626 on: August 07, 2014 01:32:51 PM »

I will save some of my flowers and herbs with paper in mind...I saw some mushrooms last week that I know produce a nice rich brown color...I always have hibiscus for reds-purples...I am going to start a box of papers to recycle for handmade instead of putting them in the recycle bin...I do need to hunt down a used blender...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lady4feet
« Reply #627 on: August 07, 2014 06:30:04 PM »

I made some cloth napkins/cleaning towels for myself in the Fake Swap Craftalong, I faked joined the frugal swap. Also need a storage solution so I whipped up a quick little basket. I used up a bit of flannel, sweatshirt material, jean scraps and bias tape. The swap was what I needed to kick my but into sewing gear. I need to fake join another, apparently deadlines help my productivity.

You can see them here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=434803.msg5229088#msg5229088
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

« Reply #628 on: August 07, 2014 07:52:10 PM »

feels good to use stuff in your stash...nice set of towels and bonus basket!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

calliemae
« Reply #629 on: August 07, 2014 09:09:16 PM »

The orange peel paper is just fascinating. It looks like it has a gorgeous texture. Now I just have to convince myself that I do not want to get into papermaking.

I've been destashing away. I've knit up some cat toys to donate to the animal shelter. In total, I made 20 to donate. I used up scrap pieces of the pinky shades of yarn, the end of a white skein, and 2 sheets of felt.

I've also started (finally!) on my Christmas gift making, so that will help me a lot. I've promised myself that I am only going to use what is currently in my bedroom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitted Gifts in 2014: 17
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 85 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chilled Lemon Souffle
Homemade Chocolate Bark Recipe
Crumbs Christmas Hacks: Making Santa Treats
The Best Holiday Pies to Entertain
How to Make Perfect Frosting Flowers for a Cake
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...