A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Breaking News: What's with all of the SPAM on Craftster?  Click here to find out what happened!
Total Members: 307,150
Currently Running With Scissors:
401 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 85
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2014 DeStash-Along (CLOSED)  (Read 107340 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ActsofCraftiness
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #360 on: February 26, 2014 09:30:14 AM »

Why is it so hard to get rid of things?!

Besides trying to craft with my stash instead of buying new things, I've been keeping an eye out for people in the Ongoing Wish Swap that have supply wishes I can fulfill in the hopes of getting rid of things in addition to using things up. I finally found someone that I could give a decent amount of stuff to, and I was sad to see it all go! I kept telling myself that if I haven't used it in years, I'm probably not going to use it anytime soon. I can always buy more later if I need to, but it's hard to let go.

Also, I am addicted to buying fabric. Even though I am trying to use things up, I keep buying fabric (especially precut fabric bundles because they are so awesome) for projects that don't exist yet. Is there a 12-step program I can join?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Make all the Things!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #361 on: February 26, 2014 09:50:53 AM »

There is an organization you can join, but probably not what you are looking for...

It is called SABLE...Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy...Grin

I am working only from my stash...it is amazing how creative you can get...I even used ONE piece of precut...join the quilt block swaps...I find I use a lot of precuts for that swap...(but seriously, nothing helps...we are doomed to collect and pass it on to our next of kin...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tendstowardschaos
'Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools.' - N. Bonaparte

Motivated by the desire to achieve.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #362 on: February 26, 2014 07:11:09 PM »

I love that yarn! So beautiful and comfy!

Thanks! It's Lion Brand Amazing and Cascade Heritage Silk, if you were curious.

When I get rid of stuff, I like to think that the person who receives it is going to be thrilled about it, and what a nice thing that is to make someone else happy. If I wait until I'm dead to pass it on, I miss out on all those warm fuzzy feelings.

I forgot to take pictures earlier, but here is the little wallet I made for my DS (another Valentine's gift) out of some leather scraps (he's always stealing my wallet out of my purse, so I made him his own...this is my solution to whatever thing of mine he's filching - make him his own).  Wink

I saw this cute top posted last week and had to have it, so I made my own from some stash fabric. I used just over a yard, I think. The fabric frayed like crazy, but French seams and facings for the armholes fixed that issue. I think I might add a ruffle to the bottom for a little extra length and weight...the fabric doesn't drape the way I imagined it would. My DS sat next to me while I did much of the sewing. He's two and obsessed with my sewing machine. He has his own antique children's sewing machine (missing some parts, like the needle) that he plays with while I use mine.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

anna.wahnsinn

« Reply #363 on: February 27, 2014 02:33:40 AM »

How is it that whenever I try to throw something out I find stuff I need (NEED!) to keep? But patterns are good, right? I have to move a bookshelf today, so I was taking all the heavy things out, opened an old ring binder that belonged to my Mom, saw teddybears and thought "hm, maybe for the kids one day, or maybe not." And then I found a Winnie the Pooh pattern. Plus Tigger, Piglet, Eeyore, Kanga and Roo. McCall's 8087, from the Sixties. I am so glad I kept this folder until today!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaudiknight
« Reply #364 on: February 27, 2014 06:36:36 AM »

I'm not sure what to do with old patterns like that.  My aunt gave me a bunch of old patterns and ideas clipped from 1970s Women's Days, all organized in binders.  I know I'll never use them, but they're too good to throw away.  I need to find them a new home, but I'm absolutely clueless where to take them.  The Goodwill won't work and they don't seem a likely candidate for the library booksale.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dontneedaclassroom
« Reply #365 on: February 27, 2014 08:52:20 AM »

Asking your library book sale if they want them is a good idea. My local sale has stuff like patterns and sheet music and so on for 10-25cents apiece in a big box of ephemera, but they only put out the good stuff - complete-looking patterns and vintage-y sheet music.

Or you might try selling on eBay or Etsy... there must be collectors out there, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
texscrapper

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #366 on: February 27, 2014 04:24:48 PM »

tendstowardschaos - that top is fabulous! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Make all the Things!

« Reply #367 on: February 27, 2014 04:35:01 PM »

I love that top!  What a pretty pattern!

ok--I did it!  I used up about a yard of some Alexander Henry fabric that I have been "saving"...and it was painless to cut it up and use it at last...so now I am ready to cut up more "good" fabric! The lining was also from stash...not my first choice, but at least it has the right colors in it!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

jfer007
« Reply #368 on: February 27, 2014 04:37:22 PM »

I have to brag on myself. A co-worker gave me some scarf yarn the other day and instead of letting it go straight into my stash, I used it THAT DAY! It was mildly impressive.

In other news, I've managed to de-stash one whole skein of yarn and finish out all of my white, black, and grey Red Heart yarn!

Black, white and grey hat:

This purple was an odd skein that I bought because it looked cool, but wasn't really big enough to do much with so I made an ear-warmer headband:

And when I had a little bit left over, I thought it would be enough to make a drink cozy:

And when I STILL had a little bit left over, I made a headband:

I wasn't about to let any of that sit around any longer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadybugsAndBumblebees

I'm so squishy!

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 27, 2014 04:54:30 PM »

The outside fabric on that is fabulous, and I think I recognize that lining fabric from somewhere....hmmm.... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl (my personal pinterest)
www.etsy.com/shop/LadybuggirlCrafts
http://Pinterest.com/LadybuggirlCrafts (my business pinterest-click on banner in right corner)
I'm on instagram:  ladybuggirlcrafts

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 85 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to make Crab Cakes
How to make Chocolate Turtle Pie
How to make Cornbread
How to make Chicken Pot Pie Part 1
How to make Pecan Pie with Caramel
Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Button Flowers
Meatless Monday: Grilled Apples and Minted Pears
@Home This Weekend: Belted Chair Seat

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...