A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,024
Currently Running With Scissors:
532 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 85
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2014 DeStash-Along (CLOSED)  (Read 70680 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tendstowardschaos
'Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools.' - N. Bonaparte

Motivated by the desire to achieve.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2014 02:52:22 PM »

Bushbaby, I like to think of it as all part of the same process. Sometimes you just have to do what is easier...the closet instead of the beads. But, you're still clearing out the mental clutter (way to go!), which frees up energy to get creative. Once you get the donation bags out of the way, anyway.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bushbaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Ex Bonis Aardy

Hug the bushbaby! Evil does not wear a Bonnet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2014 01:03:57 AM »

Bushbaby, I like to think of it as all part of the same process. Sometimes you just have to do what is easier...the closet instead of the beads. But, you're still clearing out the mental clutter (way to go!), which frees up energy to get creative. Once you get the donation bags out of the way, anyway.  Wink

Thats they way I have been thinking too. Once my Dad has taken the bags away at the weekend I will then have enough space to face sorting my fabric & bead stashes. Am going to have to be ruthless with myself and only keep what I really need or love. Hoping to make a few pennies selling what I am getting rid off Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dewshinesdopp
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2014 03:57:40 AM »

Hollow Shel, think of the Destash-along as a support group, like Weight Watchers or AA. The object is to decrease our stashes. We can do that by crafting things, by selling or giving away things, or by doing the most horrendous of all - - - throwing things away.  Grin And since all of us in this destash-along have a propensity for collecting
'good stuff', we are very supportive of one another's efforts.

Haha, yes! I joined this and the 50 projects, not only to get support from other people with a stash so large it is nearly sentient, but to swipe other people's good crafty ideas. Like those fabric bowls, for instance.

My next de-stashing goal is to find a local kids group that will take my old supplies of crayons, markers, colored pencils, pom-poms, and acrylic paint. I have quite a collection from being a crafty kid myself.

*whispers*  My name is Dewshinesdopp and I'm a hoarder  craftaholic. 
I have a hige crayon,marker,pencil stash.  I was a daycare teacher for a few years, and...no...tell the truth DD...For some unknown reason, I need to buy school supplies in bulk every year.  Crayolas for 25 cents a box and Elmers for 25 cents a container makes me giddy. 

Two years ago I took 2 garbage bags full of yarn to the church that makes hats and scarves for the Santa visit at my son's school every year. 
Last year I took about 400 sheets of scrapbook paper to the art teacher. 

This year, I haven't figured out what to donate. But I have decided that boyo and I are making the rainbow crayon hearts for valentines gifts.  But they will probably be R2D2's (or Han Solo in Carbonite instead of hearts because he loves Star Wars, and so does his teacher.   And also because those ice molds are not so great for ice. But should be cool for crayon.  We shall see.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaudiknight
« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2014 05:15:05 AM »

Welcome aboard dewshinesdopp.  I will agree, those sale school supplies are mighty tempting.

My work is having a "carnival" day today, and one of the things going on is a craft supply exchange.  I brought in two big paper grocery bags full of things that I hope can find good homes.  We were asked to limit it to 10 items, but I think I've managed to maximize my DeStashing while sticking to the guidelines through the power of bundles.

I'm trying to give away
-2 sketchbooks
-8 quarter yard cuts of batik quilting fabric
-15 fat quarters
-8 yards of beige broadcloth
-2 yards of striped corduroy
-3 yards of denim
-3 yards of quilting cotton
-2 skeins of sport weight yarn
-4 balls of crochet cotton
-and a bundle of scrapbook paper I didn't bother to count.
Hopefully they'll all find someone who can use them, and I won't bring home any new supplies of my own.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2014 05:34:28 AM »

I wouldn't be able to resist bring home something Gaudi'   Roll Eyes
My destashing is slow going so far this year as I've barely done any crafting due to ill health. I'm sure I'll make up for it as the month goes on  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best
50 in '14
50 in '15
tendstowardschaos
'Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools.' - N. Bonaparte

Motivated by the desire to achieve.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2014 09:52:54 AM »

That is some awesome re-gifting, Gaudiknight! I'm sure it will find good homes.

I cleared more from my book shelves, yay! Got all my crafty notebooks up there now. Please excuse the excess furniture. Our living room tables are glass-topped. We need to replace those with something more toddler-friendly. So, for now, they are cluttering up my crafting space. When the two feet of snow melts, they're going in the barn (for the big Spring garage sale I need to have).

I also cleared out my drawer(s!) of patterns and reduced it down to just these 16 plus two in my box of UFOs. Now I can close the drawer! I think I got rid of about 30.

Finished up this little guy last night. He was sitting around for about two years, about 2/3 finished...on, you guessed it, my cluttered book shelf.  Undecided He was originally an attempt to de-stash some yarn I bought for doll hair. Finally used it up.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

J_Kieviet
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2014 11:09:24 AM »

So far I have used up (or should say am in the process of using up):
1 denim remnant - jeans and skirts for dolls
1 plaid remnant - shirts for dolls
1 bonded fleece remnant - snow suits for dolls
1 swimwear remnant - swimsuits for dolls
2 bar towels and lace - towels for dolls

Still would like to use up before tomorrow's party
1 navy velour remnant - skating outfits for dolls
1 pink velour shirt - ballet outfits for dolls
1 fleece remnant - toques and mitts for dolls
3 knit t-shits - dresses for girls and dolls (hoping to pick up 3 t-shirts to make it easy on myself to sew what my niece designed)

I have 2 hours today - maybe another 2 after work, and only 3 hours between work and party tomorrow.  wish me luck.  photo's later when it's all done
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for Sophia the first fabric and Frozen fabric (preferably flannel, but would settle for cotton) and Phoomph.  I'm in Canada and the companies are that I could order from charge $20-$30 shipping, so if anybody can find some and wants to swap/sell, I would be eternally greatfull.
jfer007
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2014 11:37:19 AM »

I used some yarn today and made a stocking!

And I've also gathered old magazines to donate to my local library! Hooray for making room in my bookshelves!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

texscrapper
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2014 02:49:45 PM »

Made an insulated lunch tote for a swap partner - I really can't believe that I had everything, including the insul-brite and PUL in my stash ... I have a LOT left to use  Shocked

THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me for personal swaps! Longing for a "Muffin Man" type poppet for
my son.
kbrison
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Genealogists trace history

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2014 03:13:52 PM »

Cute stocking, jfer007. Can't believe you could finish it in just one day. It would take me weeks - - - if I was even able to knit.

J_Kieviet, glad to see I'm not the only one with doll clothes on my destashing to-do list.

Tendstowardschaos, I think you need to help me clear my bookcases. I have about 12 shelves worth of craft books and magazines. And that's after giving away some in a swap. Love that octopus, especially the legs!

Gaudiknight, if I did the math correctly, you've given away almost 22 yards of fabric. Wow!!! That should put a good size dent in your stash. I have to admit though, I'm sitting here lusting over the batiks. Sad thing is that I'm going to a huge quilt show tomorrow and will see so many fabrics and notions that I'm just sure I'll think I need. DD#1 is going with me so maybe she'll help me show some restraint. (Fat chance of that, but I'm trying to be optimistic!) Maybe I should post photos this weekend of wonderful things I haven't let myself buy!?! Nope, on second thought, leading the rest of you into temptation would not be a very nice thing to do.   Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

http://pinterest.com/ancientofdays/
83/50 in 2015, 185/14, 47/13
Setting the Miniature Scene - plotting
Pendant Swap, Rd 6 - experimenting
Stash Swap
Quilt Block Swap, Rd 7 - cutting pixels
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 85 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Bart Simpson
New York Comic Con 2008
How to Do the Grafitti Letter P
How to Learn Graffiti Art
How to Do Grafitti Clothing
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...