A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 303,165
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 85
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2014 DeStash-Along (CLOSED)  (Read 83984 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014 03:28:46 AM »

I need to do this. I have a ridiculous amount of yarn and I've only been knitting since September.

LOL!  I am joining this one, because...well.  I take craft hoarding to a completely new level.  I have 3 of those nifty reusable grocery bags full of yarn... not that I know how to crochet or knit anything.  I learned to make long crochet strings as a child, and that is as far as my skill set has ever gotten.  

And...I used all of those long strings to make an infinity scarf!  They were all in a little clear rubber maid tote, so I pulled them out and knotted them together.  I posted it in the "50 projects" craftalong.  WOOT!  I did something that destashed, and completed something, all at the same time!  (Boy do I hope I can keep this up.  I'll have my craft room back in no time at this rate!)

So, my areas to Destash are:  

1) Beads and jewelry stuff:  complete and actually do something with the jewelry I make.  Not just shove it into baggies.  
2) Embroidery/hoopla stuff:  Complete and actually hang up the hooplas I make.  
3) Fabric:  LOL.  Who am I kidding?  Yeah.  That won't get touched until 2015 Destash along.  Tongue
4) Papercrafting:  Um.  Yeah.  I have lots of that.  Perhaps a bonfire is in order...
5) yarn:  Um.  Take those weird hoop knitter things that you wrap the yarn around and it makes things, and learn to use them?  Sure.  Most likely I will practice making more strings with the crochet needles.  

My crafting resolution is to not buy any more stuff.  The things I will buy are : glues and adhesives.  I will also most likely buy more hoops.   And Storage suppplies.    But that's it.  

« Last Edit: January 01, 2014 05:08:04 AM by dewshinesdopp » THIS ROCKS   Logged

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014 03:48:38 AM »

I'm not making plans to craft entirely from stash this year but I will once again endeavour to use up what I have on hand rather than spending money that I don't need to spend on craft supplies. I have a few projects planned already & will be making a start when hubby goes to work later today.
My friend Sarah & I are working on a project to crochet one square a day to be made up into blankets,Sarah donates hers to the hospice who looked after her brother in his final days,what she doesn't know is that I am donating my squares/blankets to her.

Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best
50 in '14
50 in '15
Easily craftstracted!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014 07:06:49 AM »

I am currently working on using up my old Peaches n Cream cotton yarn making potholders/wash clothes. I've had the yarn for quite a few years now and finally decided to use it until I lose it. I have two sets done and a third halfway done. I will post pictures hopefully at the end of today so I can get all of them together.

Last weekend I went through my stash and listed everything on Ravelry to help me keep track of things. Not all my yarn is listed there just yet, but most of it is. I will have to go through and finish doing that for the challenge.

Crafting is a state of mind.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014 07:18:17 AM »

I'm sticking to my goal again last year of not buying new until I finish projects that I have fabric for.  I'll be moving some time in 2015, so my additional goal is to swap or give away any supplies I know I will not use.  I jumped around a lot before, but now I almost exclusively just sew (a little crochet here and there) but I still have supplies for God knows how many other crafts.  I will be all over the Givers and Needers swap the next time it comes up.

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014 07:26:37 AM »

Those are some awesome goals!  Hope you don't mind if I incorporate some of them into my own for the coming year.

My goals are as follows -

1. Do not buy any supply that does not have an intended purpose.  No more bringing things home just because I like them.  I can buy things to complete projects (for instance, I never have the right type of interfacing in stash) or if I've been asked to make something that can't come from stash.  The one exception is vacation time, because I love bringing back a skein or two of yarn as my souvenir.

2. Weed out anything I don't absolutely love.  I can keep some workhorse material around (it is hard to really love muslin after all) but I want to be excited when I look at my stash instead of wondering "why am I keeping this, again?"  I'll be moving at some point this year and I need to get the stash situation down to a more manageable size.

3. Keeping track to stay on track!  Someone early in 2013's DeStashAlong was keeping a calendar of what they worked on each day/week, and I really liked that idea.  I'm going to start a notebook where I keep track of how much time I spend on projects, supplies/tools I buy and how much they cost, and how much stash I'm using up during the year.  

4. Organization!  I spend a lot of time going "I know I have the perfect material somewhere around here" and lose a lot of crafting momentum while I look for things.

Carnivore Extrordinaire

Drunken Crafter

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014 07:52:34 AM »

I am in! I have a LOT of stash I need to pare down still.

Respect ghosts and gods, but keep away from them -Confucius

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014 08:08:37 AM »

Hi! I joined Craftster yesterday for just this purpose - to gain support for my 2014 de-stashing resolution. Then I could not find a 2014 Destash thread (I saw all the past years however).

My 2014 resolution:
1. Do not buy any fabric or craft supplies until I use up as much stash/ stockpile as possible. (i have some decorator fabric that I'm not sure why I bought it).
2. Make 12+ quilts for charity. Most will be baby or kid quilts because of the chairty that I am thinking of.
3. Try to swap for any fabric that I need. (I do not have many large pieces for backings for example)
4. Encourage my mom to do the same thing Smiley

Together we can make our goals become reality!

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014 09:09:24 AM »

Welcome Brandyk!  Be warned, Craftster is dangerously wonderful!  Smiley

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Odds 'n ends are my specialty.

Beware the Platypirates and their tri-corner hats.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014 09:50:17 AM »

Yes to de-stashing! I'm going to be losing a lot of my craft storage space this year (most likely), so I'll be trying to get rid of as much as possible. And I don't want to just make it go away, I want to make something with it! I'll also be trying to get rid of some childhood toys, so maybe I can make something out of them!

First project: Finish the hat I started in October. I'll be getting motivation from the weather forecast, which says it will be a high of -1*F tomorrow. Woo.

Whatever happened to the ongoing hoopla swaps?
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014 10:01:44 AM »

So I've been in the process of organizing my mountain of yarn. Turns out I have somehow accumulated 70 skeins of yarn over the last few months. For the month of January, I am not allowed to buy any yarn. None.

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 85 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How One Woman Uses Art To Give Children A Safe Space
4 Manga Drawing Techniques
Making of the October Cover
Artist Creates Incredible Photo-Realistic Pencil Drawings
A Poodle That Paints
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...