A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,698
Currently Running With Scissors:
529 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 60
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2014 DeStash-Along  (Read 29758 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dewshinesdopp
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014 03:28:46 AM »

I need to do this. I have a ridiculous amount of yarn and I've only been knitting since September.

LOL!  I am joining this one, because...well.  I take craft hoarding to a completely new level.  I have 3 of those nifty reusable grocery bags full of yarn... not that I know how to crochet or knit anything.  I learned to make long crochet strings as a child, and that is as far as my skill set has ever gotten.  

And...I used all of those long strings to make an infinity scarf!  They were all in a little clear rubber maid tote, so I pulled them out and knotted them together.  I posted it in the "50 projects" craftalong.  WOOT!  I did something that destashed, and completed something, all at the same time!  (Boy do I hope I can keep this up.  I'll have my craft room back in no time at this rate!)

So, my areas to Destash are:  

1) Beads and jewelry stuff:  complete and actually do something with the jewelry I make.  Not just shove it into baggies.  
2) Embroidery/hoopla stuff:  Complete and actually hang up the hooplas I make.  
3) Fabric:  LOL.  Who am I kidding?  Yeah.  That won't get touched until 2015 Destash along.  Tongue
4) Papercrafting:  Um.  Yeah.  I have lots of that.  Perhaps a bonfire is in order...
5) yarn:  Um.  Take those weird hoop knitter things that you wrap the yarn around and it makes things, and learn to use them?  Sure.  Most likely I will practice making more strings with the crochet needles.  

My crafting resolution is to not buy any more stuff.  The things I will buy are : glues and adhesives.  I will also most likely buy more hoops.   And Storage suppplies.    But that's it.  

« Last Edit: January 01, 2014 05:08:04 AM by dewshinesdopp » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014 03:48:38 AM »

I'm not making plans to craft entirely from stash this year but I will once again endeavour to use up what I have on hand rather than spending money that I don't need to spend on craft supplies. I have a few projects planned already & will be making a start when hubby goes to work later today.
My friend Sarah & I are working on a project to crochet one square a day to be made up into blankets,Sarah donates hers to the hospice who looked after her brother in his final days,what she doesn't know is that I am donating my squares/blankets to her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
vampedangel14
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Easily craftstracted!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014 07:06:49 AM »

I am currently working on using up my old Peaches n Cream cotton yarn making potholders/wash clothes. I've had the yarn for quite a few years now and finally decided to use it until I lose it. I have two sets done and a third halfway done. I will post pictures hopefully at the end of today so I can get all of them together.

Last weekend I went through my stash and listed everything on Ravelry to help me keep track of things. Not all my yarn is listed there just yet, but most of it is. I will have to go through and finish doing that for the challenge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fishstix43

Crafting is a state of mind.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014 07:18:17 AM »

I'm sticking to my goal again last year of not buying new until I finish projects that I have fabric for.  I'll be moving some time in 2015, so my additional goal is to swap or give away any supplies I know I will not use.  I jumped around a lot before, but now I almost exclusively just sew (a little crochet here and there) but I still have supplies for God knows how many other crafts.  I will be all over the Givers and Needers swap the next time it comes up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaudiknight
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014 07:26:37 AM »

Those are some awesome goals!  Hope you don't mind if I incorporate some of them into my own for the coming year.

My goals are as follows -

1. Do not buy any supply that does not have an intended purpose.  No more bringing things home just because I like them.  I can buy things to complete projects (for instance, I never have the right type of interfacing in stash) or if I've been asked to make something that can't come from stash.  The one exception is vacation time, because I love bringing back a skein or two of yarn as my souvenir.

2. Weed out anything I don't absolutely love.  I can keep some workhorse material around (it is hard to really love muslin after all) but I want to be excited when I look at my stash instead of wondering "why am I keeping this, again?"  I'll be moving at some point this year and I need to get the stash situation down to a more manageable size.

3. Keeping track to stay on track!  Someone early in 2013's DeStashAlong was keeping a calendar of what they worked on each day/week, and I really liked that idea.  I'm going to start a notebook where I keep track of how much time I spend on projects, supplies/tools I buy and how much they cost, and how much stash I'm using up during the year.  

4. Organization!  I spend a lot of time going "I know I have the perfect material somewhere around here" and lose a lot of crafting momentum while I look for things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rantyhippie
Carnivore Extrordinaire

Drunken Crafter

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014 07:52:34 AM »

I am in! I have a LOT of stash I need to pare down still.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do you have some spare roving you're willing to part with? Wanna do a personal swap? PM me!

Respect ghosts and gods, but keep away from them -Confucius
brandyk
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014 08:08:37 AM »

Hi! I joined Craftster yesterday for just this purpose - to gain support for my 2014 de-stashing resolution. Then I could not find a 2014 Destash thread (I saw all the past years however).

My 2014 resolution:
1. Do not buy any fabric or craft supplies until I use up as much stash/ stockpile as possible. (i have some decorator fabric that I'm not sure why I bought it).
2. Make 12+ quilts for charity. Most will be baby or kid quilts because of the chairty that I am thinking of.
3. Try to swap for any fabric that I need. (I do not have many large pieces for backings for example)
4. Encourage my mom to do the same thing Smiley

Together we can make our goals become reality!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Attempting to create & donate 12+ quilts in 2014. PM me if you want to swap or donate some fabric.
dewshinesdopp
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014 09:09:24 AM »

Welcome Brandyk!  Be warned, Craftster is dangerously wonderful!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ChameleonHound
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Odds 'n ends are my specialty.

Beware the Platypirates and their tri-corner hats.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014 09:50:17 AM »

Yes to de-stashing! I'm going to be losing a lot of my craft storage space this year (most likely), so I'll be trying to get rid of as much as possible. And I don't want to just make it go away, I want to make something with it! I'll also be trying to get rid of some childhood toys, so maybe I can make something out of them!

First project: Finish the hat I started in October. I'll be getting motivation from the weather forecast, which says it will be a high of -1*F tomorrow. Woo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whatever happened to the ongoing hoopla swaps?
coulsenl
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014 10:01:44 AM »

So I've been in the process of organizing my mountain of yarn. Turns out I have somehow accumulated 70 skeins of yarn over the last few months. For the month of January, I am not allowed to buy any yarn. None.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 60 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...