A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
735 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 59
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2014 DeStash-Along  (Read 28472 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gaudiknight
« on: December 31, 2013 05:06:07 PM »

2014 DeStash-Along

Sewing for a production, c. 1930s / by Sam Hood by State Library of New South Wales collection, on Flickr

Stashes.  Everyone has one, whether it consists of a shoe-box full of beads tucked under our bed or enough yarn and fabric to fill an entire room.  We add to them with thoughts of glorious projects to be, but occasionally these supplies get neglected once we get them home.  This CraftAlong, or DeStash-Along if you will, is here to provide motivation and inspiration to dig through what we have on hand and create marvelous things.  The purpose isn't to be ashamed of our stashes, but to celebrate them.  Let those great materials see the light of day again! Show off the great things you can make without going to the shops!

We'd love to have you along for the 6th year of the DeStash-Along.  There will be themes and challenges each month to provide a starting point if you are in need of  some extra inspiration, but feel free to ignore them if they don't mesh with your current crafty urges.  Whether you stumble upon this thread in January or June, join in the discussions, share projects and pictures, ask questions when you're stumped, and keep on crafting!

Previous DeStash-Along Threads can be found here, for more information and inspiration
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013 10:40:34 PM by gaudiknight » THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaudiknight
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013 05:06:36 PM »

Monthly Themes
Posted at the beginning of the year for those who like to look ahead.  They will be posted at the beginning of each month as well, and may be slightly re-arranged as the year progresses.

January
Color: White
Pattern: Solids
For: Something to help with a New Year's Resolution
Challenge 1: Take stock of stash!  Figure out what you have, and create some goals for the coming years.
Challenge 2: Finish up remaining Works in Progress from 2013 (or earlier).

February
Color: Red
Pattern: Paisley
For: Organizing
Challenge 1: Put the stash in order.  Untangle your yarn, fold your fabric, and throw out the bits of string that are too small to save.
Challenge 2: Make a just-because present for someone who needs to be cheered up or as a Random Act of Kindness.

March
Color: Yellow
Pattern: Polka Dots
For: Animals, pets, or the fuzzies at the pound.
Challenge 1: Now that you've got a good handle on what you have in stash you may have come across some things that you know you will never use.  Weed these items and give them away to someone who can use them.
Challenge 2: Make something from the millions of tutorials you've collected on Pinterest, or from one of your vast hoards of craft and pattern books.

April
Color: Blue
Pattern: Stripes
For: Yourself
Challenge 1: Use materials in stash to learn a new craft or practice a new technique.
Challenge 2: Make something for charity.

May
Color: Green
Pattern: Floral
For: Your yard, window box, or back alley.
Challenge 1: If your stash is anything like mine you've got a fair amount that was given to you by older friends and relatives trying to reduce their own stashes.  Make them something from the materials they gave you.
Challenge 2: Nature Crafts!

June
Color: Pink
Pattern: Abstract
For: Teachers and instructors
Challenge 1: Use the item in your stash that you've had the longest.
Challenge 2: At the end of the month we'll have been DeStashing for 6 months.  Take stock of your stash, tidy it up, and see how you're doing with your goals from January.

July
Color: Turquoise
Pattern: Maps, charts, and letters
For: Charity
Challenge 1: Make a scrappy projects to use up odds and ends.
Challenge 2: Make a gift or two in preparation for the winter gift-giving season to cut down on the stress in December.

August
Color: Orange
Pattern: Stars
For: Friends
Challenge 1: Trade stash with a friend - not the whole thing, obviously, but things you are tired of looking at will be shiny and new to someone else.
Challenge 2: Craft something from the theme of a swap that has caught your attention recently, whether you joined the swap or not.

September
Color: Whatever is your favorite
Pattern: Argyle
For: Kids
Challenge 1: Recycle, Re-purpose, and Reuse.
Challenge 2: Teach someone a craft and use materials from your stash for instruction.

October
Color: Black
Pattern: Lace
For: Your workplace
Challenge 1: If you have a super special item that you've been saving for a perfect project there's no time like the present to use it.
Challenge 2: Make some small, portable projects.

November
Color: Brown
Pattern: Plaid
For: Transportation - your car, bike, water-buffalo, however you get around.
Challenge 1: In our family we have a saying "all done but the pressing" quoting a great-grandmother who was great at starting projects but not so great at the final details needed to make them usable.  Put the finishing touches on any languishing almost-finished projects.
Challenge 2: Make things in bulk.  Those multiples may come in handy next month.

December
Color: Silver
Pattern: Folk-Art
For: Your Home
Challenge 1: Congrats! You've been DeStashing for a year.  Take a look back and see how much you've accomplished.
Challenge 2: Help come up with ideas that will make next year's DeStashAlong better.

Pictures posted along with the monthly themes are found in the creative commons on flickr.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014 06:53:28 AM by gaudiknight » THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaudiknight
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013 05:07:06 PM »

Just in case.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaudiknight
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013 06:11:16 PM »

January Themes

white chain stitch detail by jessicakelly, on Flickr

Color: White
Pattern: Solids
For: Craft something to help with a New Year's Resolution
Challenge 1: Take stock of your stash!  Figure out what you have, where it is, and create some goals for the coming years.  We applaud anyone brave enough to share photos of their Stash in its raw state.
Challenge 2: Finish up remaining Works in Progress from 2013 (or earlier years if any still remain).

THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013 07:48:11 PM »

I find this to be intriguing, but I guess I don't get how it works.  Do we make something in a solid white for our New Year's resolution?  And what are the challenges for?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://PiNOKEEOs.artfire.com

50 projects for 2014--20/50
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430313.msg5136721#msg5136721
Recovering from surgery and crafting again!!!
dewshinesdopp
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013 09:25:19 PM »

I find this to be intriguing, but I guess I don't get how it works.  Do we make something in a solid white for our New Year's resolution?  And what are the challenges for?

If it is like last year, the different things are starting points to work from.  It doesn't have to be one thing using all of the prompts.  Of course, if you can use them all at once, that is super cool!  Smiley
For example:  If your new years resolution is "be kinder" to others, then make a hoopla in whatever color you want that says something about being kind. 
Or, if you have a ton of white paper in your papercrafting stash, make a bunch of white paper roses. 

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, everyone.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013 09:49:51 PM »

Whee!!! Well I'm starting off the year right, got all my crafting stuff pulled out all over the floor tonight and a big pile of give away already started. I'm amazed at how many pieces of other people's clothing I have awaiting repair or alteration. Don't they know how things get lost in my stash? LOL!
So I've got my goals for 2014 set out before me:
-Fix all the everythings belonging to other people and get them Out of my space!
-Finish ALL the UFOs floating around. It's good to finish what you started, right?
-NO BUYING ANY NEW SUPPLIES! At ALL! Until what I have is used up. Not including scraps of fabric and trim, those are just for any old time I need them but all the big pieces have got to go.
-And along those lines, no starting any new projects until all the things I have started already are gone.

The only allowance I'll make for deviation is if I'm asked to do a workshop and I don't have everything I need on hand and can't fudge it. I made so much progress last year though that I'm determined to keep at it.

Thanks for all the inspiration and encouragement in 2013 my fellow craftster crafters, this would hardly be as much fun without all of you Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
gaudiknight
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013 10:42:43 PM »

Themes are there simply as motivation/inspiration/starting-points-if-you're-stumped or if you enjoy working with specific challenges in mind.  They can be ignored at will.  I'll try to make that a little clearer in the intro.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coulsenl
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014 12:48:14 AM »

I need to do this. I have a ridiculous amount of yarn and I've only been knitting since September. And that doesn't begin to include the other supplies I have accumulated since then.

My goals for January:
Organize my yarn supplies
Don't buy any more yarn until current supply is used up
Do something with the crazy amount of swatches I have knitted up
Finish my WIP afghan
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bushbaby
Ex Bonis Aardy

Hug the bushbaby! Evil does not wear a Bonnet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014 02:42:31 AM »

Since I am doing the 50 projects in 2014 craftalong it seems sensible to join in here as well Smiley

Yarn
I did manage to get through all of last year without buying any yarn, so I am going to try that again - with the exception of when I go on holiday to Orkney in April!

Fabric

I was given a huge pile of heavy weight furnishing fabric last year so must find something to do with it all. 

Beads
I have far too many beads that I will never work with now. These need to be sorted sold/swaped to clear room for better quality beads Smiley

I am also going to try and keep a track of how much I spend on Craft supplies this year too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 59 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Vogue Weddings - Erdem on Inspiration For His Collection
How to Do Zombie Makeup for Halloween
How to Make Your Own Skin-Saving Cloth Mask to Alleviate Dry Skin
Mastering the Classic Red Lip with DJ Chelsea Leyland
Your Winter Moisturizing Routine From Head to Toe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...