A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
495 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 46
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 14 Quilt Projects in 2014 Quilt Along!  (Read 21972 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

donniesgirl
« Reply #340 on: June 07, 2014 08:14:12 PM »

Yes I believe you called them odd.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

waggonswest
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #341 on: June 10, 2014 01:59:19 PM »

Two more quilted and awaiting binding!  But, one has scalloped edges and I am a wee bit intimidated by doing the binding on that.  I actually made an appointment with the expert at my LQS to show me how to do it... again!  I also have one basted but it decided it wants to be hand quilted and all of the materials assembled to piece the backing for another.  So, lots of sewing but nothing to show for it yet.  And to top it all off, my friend made me go on a field trip to a shop that specializes in wool and primitive quilts.  I didn't expect to be so inspired but WOW!  it was amazing. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #342 on: June 10, 2014 02:36:59 PM »

Waggonswest, how did you do the scalloped edge? My aunt commissioned me to make her a quilt with a scalloped edge and I think I'm going to get a special ruler for that but haven't ordered it yet. I'm assuming* the binding won't be hard as long as I use bias binding but would love to hear your results!

I'm not getting a ton of quilty stuff done lately for myself, but I do have a charity day once a month, a hand sew once a month, and an open sew once a month with my guild, so I'm actually sewing.

I'm currently finishing up a charity Quilt as You Go quilt, I'll post pics when I'm done! It's using the method where you attach the blocks with front and back "sashing."  Wonderful project for using up small pieces of batting! I cut 13 inch blocks of batting and 13 inch squares of backing fabric. We put out scraps in our selected colors and let people piece the scraps onto the squares of batting as they liked (string piecing and log cabin works well for this). Then each block is pinned to a square of backing and quilted however you like. It's a great project for practicing quilting as well! I'm assembling like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji8BLS2rNHA
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Homerof2

Loving life being a full-time wife

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #343 on: June 10, 2014 08:36:44 PM »

I have 3 quilt tops finished but no desire at the moment to go any further with them  Sad  If I had someone to baste them for me I'd be very happy!  I will get them finished this year, along with a few other smaller projects but it might be after the summer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

waggonswest

« Reply #344 on: June 10, 2014 08:53:06 PM »

Mare  No need for a ruler, just paper and a plate.  Decide which side is the dominant, best, most viewed side (for example the side that hangs over the edge of the bed on a bed quilt).  Tape together paper until you get a strip that perfectly fits that side.  Start folding it in half and half again until you get to a good scallop width.  Draw your scallop.  Cut it out.  Unfold the 'paper doll' and place it on your quilt.  If it doesn't look like you want, do it again.  

Then you have simply have to fold or expand in the middle to make the scallops fit the other side and make sure you like how the corners look where they meet.

The problem I am having with the binding is that you need to cut the valleys to the seam line as/before you sew the binding on and then sew straight across before you go up the curve again.  I am going to see the samples again and ask a few more questions before I start.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

25/12,  14/13
4/14
waggonswest

« Reply #345 on: June 16, 2014 03:59:04 PM »

Calling it quits on this WIP.  Four years is long enough. 

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=434042.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

25/12,  14/13
4/14
Amazon_warrior
You say "scientist or artist?" like they're mutually exclusive.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #346 on: June 22, 2014 02:40:39 AM »

Congrats on the finishes, guys!  Smiley  I have done.... not very much at all recently on account of not being at home for about 6 weeks and then being quite busy when I did get home.  However, I have a baby quilt top pieced (it's a coin stack from charm squares) and I've bought some fleece to back it with and I've chain-pieced some more hearts for my sister's belated wedding quilt.  So some progress, even if it's horribly slow...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Finished: 8/14 quilted items in 2014 - over half way!

I have a blog, yes I do.  Also, Pinterest.
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #347 on: June 22, 2014 10:58:41 PM »

I've gotten a good amount done the last few days! I started a "fun" project the other day--two little doll quilts for a friend's little girls. I made the tops and got them basted and then forced myself to work on something on my list before getting back to my fun projects. I now have both doll quilts completely done, and a charity quilt went from just a top to getting a back and getting basted.

But, what I'm most excited about is I am working on finishing up a quilt for me! I had most of the top done, I just added on the borders, stitched the back up, basted it, and I am currently working on quilting it. It's kind of exhausting though since it's bigger than I usually care to do on my home machine (60x76). I've already made the binding as well!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014 10:58:56 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amazon_warrior
You say "scientist or artist?" like they're mutually exclusive.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: June 23, 2014 03:30:11 PM »

Really looking forward to seeing your quilt MareMare!  Smiley

I was naughty today - I went to the fabric shop in Aberystwyth and bought a bunch of fat quarters. Roll Eyes  But they were such lovely modern-looking yellow-and-grey prints that I couldn't resist them - especially as people keep having babies at me with alarming regularity!  I also picked up a couple of Oriental prints for no reason other than I like those shiny Oriental designs and a lovely bold poinsettia print that I've bought before and love (I know it's the middle of summer, but given how long it takes me to finish anything, I need a head-start on any Christmas presents...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Finished: 8/14 quilted items in 2014 - over half way!

I have a blog, yes I do.  Also, Pinterest.
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #349 on: June 23, 2014 03:51:37 PM »

Did the gray and yellow fabrics happen to be by Monaluna? My guild just passed out FQs of the Haven line at our last meeting:

http://www.monaluna.com/category.php?category_id=67

I'm still quilting...if I don't get too bored/exhausted I may have this puppy in the wash by the end of the day! I estimate I am 3/4 of the way done with the quilting! Binding takes me no time at all since I completely machine bind. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 46 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Small Tripods / Equipment to Stabilize Your Camera - Road Gear - Video ...
How to Paint with Light - A Photography Technique
How to Build a Bulldog 5x4 Large Format Camera
Learn about Camera Exposure
How to Focus Stacking - A Macro Photography Technique
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...