A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,953
Currently Running With Scissors:
723 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 57
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 14 Quilt Projects in 2014 Quilt Along!  (Read 31333 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cursive_queen
« Reply #170 on: March 05, 2014 06:08:44 AM »

That's really cute Homerof2
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Immaculata
« Reply #171 on: March 05, 2014 08:06:57 AM »

Since you friendly ladies made me feel so welcome, my first post in this thread!

I'm not going to go for 14 quilts in 2014 (i noticed there's also a 13-in-13 thread, how many more years are you going to keep this up?  Grin   ) but as that's not a requirement, I'll start with what I will do this year.

I'm working on 2 quilts right now, and I'm planning on finishing them both.

1. Old jeans quilt. I'm not exactly sure how big this thing's going to turn out. I guess I'm just going to continue until I run out of old pairs of jeans. The log cabin blocks are made from strips of fabric that are 12 cm (little less than 5" ) wide and the seams are a foot wide (is that how you say it in English? I've used to edge of the sewing machine foot as a measure). I'm not exactly sure why there's such a variety in size, I only noticed that when I laid them out on the floor. Might be use of different rulers. When I sew the blocks together, I think I'll trim them at 55 x 55 cm, which is about 22". I've only started this a few weeks ago, it's a very quick and easy pattern. The only difficult part is making sure the strips you cut are straight and not curved.

2. Flower print baby quilt. Started this one in 2009, from a kit I bought online. Still love the pattern. Some people might say it has too much flowers, but I don't really believe in 'too much flowers'. I randomly laid out the blocks. On the left is the pile of large squares that I still need to cut smaller squares for. On the right is the pile of blocks that are completely cut, just not sewn together yet. On top is the backing etc. fabric.

Then, my first quilt that I finally completed last year. I made the top as a kid. I was always nagging and bothering my mum when she was sewing, so she set me up next to her on her old machine and told me to sew scraps together. I was extremely excited, my family wasn't too much, and I hid the top away for nearly 15 years. I found it back last year, got all nostalgic about the scraps that were used (from clothes I used to wear) and decided to finish it. Considering I was 8, I don't think it's at all bad. It's of course sewn together quite badly, so finishing it wasn't too easy. It was handquilted, I made five large circles. I decided not to quilt too much because it would only draw attention to how uneven it is.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: March 05, 2014 12:17:44 PM »

Love all the pics, Immaculata! I love the subtlety of the jean blocks!

I finished a quilt top for my charity group the other day and need to quilt it and send it in ASAP. I also have my last one from that group that is completed (just needs to be washed) and then I can save a bit of money by sending two at a time. In case you're not familiar with do.Good stitches, there's a circle of 10 Modern Quilters, usually 6 are "quilters" and 4 are "stitchers." The quilters have two months a year where they pick a pattern and a color scheme and everyone sends them two blocks, then they are responsible for getting them stitched up into a top and finishing the quilt and delivering to the charity that their group has chosen.

Scrap Boxes quilt top

Here's the one I just finished (and to be honest, we put it on the frame at our Happy Hour before our meeting, and so lots of people in the guild quilted it!) and then my sweet friend did the binding for me.

Greek Cross pattern in navy, salmon, jade green, and white. The lighting is super horrible where we have our meetings, it's much brighter in person!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Ezri_B
« Reply #173 on: March 05, 2014 12:59:41 PM »

Everyone has such great quilts posted so far! I need to get off my butt and get some finished!

Immaculata I absolutely LOVE the jean one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noturavggeek
"This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?" Delia Deetz

I want to live 'til I die. No More, No Less

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 06, 2014 08:12:35 AM »

Getting jealous of all the progress everyone is making!!!

In other news...I'm pretty sure the weekender is eating my soul Huh

Idk what it is about it, but I equally want to get it done and throw it in a drawer for awhile. Its like a great big time suck, I'll work on one small portion, think it only took an hour and it takes 3!!! Also when I originally bought the Ghastlies fabric, I had no idea what I wanted to use it for, so when I started this I realized I didn't have enough and had to track down more, because apparently what I bought previously is being discontinued and is a BEAR to find!!! However I will say that Elizabeth Hartman's method is less headache inducing than the original instructions with a thousand sheets of peltex.

Outer panel with side pocket:

both pieced side panels:

interior one with 2 big pockets, the other side will have a zippered pocket:

Still have to make the piping, top/bottom panels and assemble....Pretty sure I'm going to have to start seeking assistance from a Mr. J. Daniels soon.....
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014 06:57:49 AM by noturavggeek » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cursive_queen
« Reply #175 on: March 06, 2014 08:52:55 AM »

noturavggeek - weekenders are a pain, but they are so lovely when they are finished.  I want to make a second one with the quilt as you go method.

I LOVE it in the ghastlies fabric.  I may be wrong, but I think there is a new line of ghastlies out, so maybe you could mix and match if you don't have enough
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noturavggeek
"This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?" Delia Deetz

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 06, 2014 10:44:36 AM »

Thanks cursive_queen! I did manage to find more of the fabric for not too horrendous of a price.

Every time I run into an issue I walk away from it for a few days. I ended up remaking an outer pocket panel instead of unpicking 10,000,000 stitches, time off til the fabric arrived, couldn't decide on an interior/piping/handle fabric. I'd rather it take me a month to make than come out with something that's done half-a$$ed.

I do have such a deep love for the Ghastlies though! There will be a couple more relatives popping up on this bag Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: March 06, 2014 01:25:52 PM »

Ooh, that looks great! One of my guild mates was working on the side panels for that at our sew day last weekend as well, so much fun to see it come together. I kind of had the goal of making a Weekender this year, but not sure if I really want to do it Cheesy My good friend klum78 has made like 4 of them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
noturavggeek

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 06, 2014 01:48:32 PM »

You should definitely try it MareMare!!! Okay, I know I don't paint a pretty picture with this, lol, but a lot of it is my own personal "sewing demons". When I'm working on it and I'm not having "technical difficulties" I'm having fun, the second it annoys me I make myself take a break from it. But I will finish this bag if its the last thing I do!!! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amazon_warrior
You say "scientist or artist?" like they're mutually exclusive.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: March 06, 2014 02:19:00 PM »

That bag is fascinating.  Love the fabrics you've chosen!  I accidentally started a quilted bag recently, but it's a much more simple messenger-style effort - I know my (current) limits!  XD

@Immaculata:  I really, really like your scrappy quilt you made when you were 8!  It's got such a friendly look.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Finished: 17/14 quilted items in 2014 - over half way!

I have a blog, yes I do.  Also, Pinterest.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 57 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Did Thatcher and Churchill Have in Common?
Five Ways to Improve Your Respiratory System
Clay Walker’s Jesus Was a Country Boy
Black Roses by Jane Thynne Book Trailer
J.A. Jance Explains Her Writing Routine
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...