A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 316,231
Currently Running With Scissors:
415 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 59
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 14 Quilt Projects in 2014 Quilt Along!  (Read 81572 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Amazon_warrior
You say "scientist or artist?" like they're mutually exclusive.

I like big quilts and I cannot lie!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: February 28, 2014 01:09:48 PM »

Thanks for the replies - I should have figured there'd be a proper place for such a question, but I keep getting lost in all the different boards...

Hmmm, it could probably do with a new needle, actually.  I did de-fluff it very recently because I quilted the back to the batting before I quilted the top to it (long story...).  I'll check the timing too.  It's actually my mum's machine and we've had it a goodly while, so it's quite possible it needs a bit of TLC.  (And I should really get my cheap'n'cheerful machine seen to while I'm at it; it needs mending but mum's machine is so much nicer to use that I don't have much incentive to get it looked at! XD)

@stillatthetop - But does a walking foot work for doing very squiggly lines?  Huh  I've only used mine for straight lines so far.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: February 28, 2014 01:10:17 PM »

A walking foot works better for quilts. And you drop the feed dogs {darning mode}. The foot does the work of things. But it all depends on your machine, too.
Hope this helps you!

No, you don't want to drop the feed dogs if you're using a walking foot. A walking foot is for straight line quilting and you leave the feed dogs alone. The feed dogs will pull the bottom layer of fabric and the walking foot will pull the top layers, so they work in unision. A darning foot is for free motion quilting and with the darning foot you would drop the feed dogs. You don't want to confuse those two!

@stillatthetop - But does a walking foot work for doing very squiggly lines?  Huh  I've only used mine for straight lines so far.

If you are doing some complicated free motion stuff where you want to go backwards/reverse, you need that darning foot. But for gentle squiggles your regular foot is fine. I do something called "wonky arguile" quilting and I don't change the foot at all for that from my regular piecing foot (for this you can leave feed dogs up).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014 01:13:39 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love nail art? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!

~Want Prizes?! The 2016 QuiltAlong is open for business!~

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
Amazon_warrior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: February 28, 2014 01:24:55 PM »

Thanks again!  The actual quilting part of quilting is definitely my least understood and most difficult bit.  I've always used my walking foot with the bottom feeds because it makes sense that they work as a pair to feed the layers evenly.  My Quilt Club teacher told me about darning feet last session and gave me a quick outline of how to use one (including dropping the feed dogs), but couldn't do much more since I didn't own one at that point in time!  If I can't get it to behave, I'll try with the normal foot or leave it until my next Quilt Club session and get Stef to have a look and see if I'm doing something dumb.  It just seems odd that I get the pokies with the darning foot but not with my regular or walking feet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: February 28, 2014 01:46:10 PM »

Hmm yeah that is weird if the other feet aren't doing that! How do your stitches look otherwise? Are they too big or too small? If so maybe it's all a problem with speed control. I always try to go too fast and get big stitches until I remember to slow down...then 3 minutes later I'm too fast again! Cheesy

I posted a couple of finishes I've been sitting on for almost two months, finally gifted them this week!

Grandma quilt
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431873.0#axzz2ueiJ5ON6

Auntie quilt
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431874.0#axzz2ueiWHyIe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amazon_warrior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: February 28, 2014 02:10:40 PM »

Hmm yeah that is weird if the other feet aren't doing that! How do your stitches look otherwise? Are they too big or too small? If so maybe it's all a problem with speed control. I always try to go too fast and get big stitches until I remember to slow down...then 3 minutes later I'm too fast again! Cheesy

I posted a couple of finishes I've been sitting on for almost two months, finally gifted them this week!

Congrats on the lovely finishes!  I particularly like the pinwheel quilt.  Smiley

I think it might be a speed problem - the stitch length is all over the shop and I think my speed was far too fast.  I shall give it another go when it's not so late and I'm wearing better footwear and see if I can get better results.  It *was* my first ever attempt, after all!  Roll Eyes  I think I'll stick with appliqueing more of my dresden fans to their squares for now - 4 down, 20 to go...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014 02:29:21 PM by Amazon_warrior » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sloth003

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: March 01, 2014 10:35:55 AM »

Another finish. I completed the fourth memory quilt from widow s.
And i caught up in my daily reflection quilt.
Now to finish Amy baby quilt and a couple of taggies. Then i can start the bot's senators birthday quilt. It's only needed to get done by the 22nd.

Of march. And i can't work on it while he is home. Or awake. And march break is soon. Oops.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: March 01, 2014 08:36:28 PM »

I was at my guild Sew Day for a solid 10 hours today and got a decent amount done, 2 charity blocks, a charity quilt top stitched together, taught a friend to sew curves, and cut out about 150 5-inch squares for my aunt's quilt. I would have got more done if I hadn't had to run home twice for stuff I forgot and taken a long lunch and a long time shopping! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cursive_queen
« Reply #167 on: March 03, 2014 06:41:43 AM »

Those are cute quilts MareMare - I like the colors
THIS ROCKS   Logged
donniesgirl
« Reply #168 on: March 04, 2014 07:50:21 AM »

I've been under the weather lately so have been avidly stalking only...but I had to say that that bargello quilt a few pages back is pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting cotton Hawaiian fabric scraps for a quilt if you wanted to send any my way!
http://www.pinterest.com/donniesgirrl
Homerof2

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 04, 2014 02:55:40 PM »

My first finished project for the year!  This is a kit from the series 'A Door A Doodle' and it's called How Does Your Garden Grow.  It's about 16" x 10"

I added some extra quilting details:

« Last Edit: March 04, 2014 02:56:20 PM by Homerof2 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 59 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
August 24, 2016 Featured Projects
OOOOOHKLAHOMA! Where the wind...
Tute Tuesday: Hand-Bound Book

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...