A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,958
Currently Running With Scissors:
514 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pizza Delivery Bag  (Read 3317 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , pizza , delivery_bag , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: December 28, 2013 06:23:39 PM »

When he went out to get the pizza, my step-dad used to wrap his coat around it to keep it warm (meaning he was cold!) and so I made him an insulated bag like the delivery guys (and then his neighbor liked it so much I had to make another one). Fast forward several years and the original bag had suffered a bit of damage (it sort of melted against a hot pipe). So, I made another one for him! I couldn't remember how I made the first one (and they don't live nearby), so I winged it, and messed it up. So, I started again (carefully unstitching the first one) and was a bit more successful.

While I didn't take any progress pictures, here's a basic outline of how I made it.

1. Buy a pizza or two so you have boxes to measure (my bag is made for two Rustic Pizzas from Papa Gino's).

2. You need the following measurements:
-The width of the box
-The length of the box
-The height/depth of the box (times 2 if you plan to carry 2 pizzas)

3. You need to following materials:
-Outer fabric (I used nylon flag fabric)
-Cotton batting (or foam padding) for the insulation
-Heat-proof fabric (I used the silver stuff usually used for potholders and ironing board covers)
(Optional: Instead of the separate batting and heat-proof fabric, you might be able to find something for making insulated shades that has the pieces already stitched together... but it's usually more expensive... but it would save you a lot of time)
Double-fold bias binding
Thread
Sew-on hook & loop fastener

4. From each material, you need to cut the following pieces:
Side pieces: Add an inch to the height/depth measurement for seam allowances (and if you want, add another inch for wiggle room), and a half an inch to the length measurement (and, if you want, add another inch for wiggle room). Cut two rectangles (from each fabric) that fit these measurements. If desired, secure the batting to the heat-proof fabric with some rows of "quilting." Or, just use a lot of pins...

Main body of bag: Add an inch to the width measurement for seam allowances (and if you want, add another inch for wiggle room). That's the easy part. For the length of the body of the bag add:
The length of the box X 2 (and if you want, two inches for wiggle room)
The depth of the box X 2 (and if you want,  one inch for wiggle room)
4-6 inches for the last part of the flap (part of the flap is the taken care of with the second depth measurement... this measurement takes care of the part that overlaps the bag to keep it closed)
Cut 1 rectangle (from each fabric) that fit these measurements. If desired, secure the batting to the heat-proof fabric with some rows of "quilting."

5. For each section (the main body and the two side pieces), pin all three layers together to make a sandwich (outside fabric, batting, heat-proof fabric), and baste (or zig-zag) together about 1/4" from the edge.

6. Now you will attach the side pieces to the main body of the bag. Putting the outside fabrics facing together, line up one long edge of one side piece with the edge of the long side of the main body part, wrap it around the short end of the side piece, and back up the other side of the side piece. You should have material left over, which will form the entire flap. Stitch through all layers (the raw edge of the seam should end up on the inside of the bag).

7. Repeat step 6 for the other side piece.

8. You're almost finished! Now, attach the bias binding to the raw edge along the top of the bag and around the flap (you can zig-zag the raw seams if you want, but I never did). You're on your own with the best method for attaching the bias binding because, as you can see in the photo, I am not very good at it Smiley

9. Finally, decide where to put the hook & loop fastener for the bag closure (refer to photo), making sure that you allow for the depth of the bag when full of pizza.

10. Enjoy pizza that is almost as hot as it was when it came out of the oven!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
margiej
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013 07:40:02 PM »

Smiley
Super idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too bad I don't hear voices, I would enjoy the company
WWW.PINTEREST.COM/MARGARETCJOY
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013 08:40:51 AM »

Oh how cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013 11:20:05 AM »

Thanks! The original bag got used for more than pizza, too. Any take-out that needed to be kept warm got carried in the bag. I'm thinking I might need to make one for myself, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014 04:29:12 PM »

This is such a straightforward idea, and yet it would have NEVER occurred to me! So brilliant. And I like the flag nylon for the outer fabric - easy to clean and super-durable.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014 06:26:31 PM »

This is such a straightforward idea, and yet it would have NEVER occurred to me! So brilliant. And I like the flag nylon for the outer fabric - easy to clean and super-durable.

Wulf

Thanks! When I saw my step-dad come in the house one winter evening with no coat on because it was wrapped around the pizza, I knew what I had to do! His original bag was purple, and the one I made for the neighbor was green. Flag fabric comes in such fun colors. I have a bit of the blue left, and I think I need to make a bag the right size for my Chinese food take-out...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

photojenn
Clothing Moderator
Home Sweet Home Moderator

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014 08:34:28 PM »

Love this idea!  I bet you could use it to keep things cold too.  Thanks for putting the directions together!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014 06:13:39 PM »

I haven't tried it for cold foods, but I'm betting it would work just fine! Glad you can use the directions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to French Braid Fringes
How to Do UpDo Hairstyles
How to Make Dreadlocks with Short Hair
How to Make Dreadlocks
How to Get Anne Hathaway’s Oscars Red-Carpet Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...