A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
492 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 264
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 50 Projects 2014--Let's continue the craftiness!  (Read 146500 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Naantje
« Reply #520 on: January 25, 2014 12:23:01 PM »

Ugh, I'm such an idiot! Knitting mindless lengths of stockinette while watching TV? Perfectly fine! Casting on while watching TV? Still kind of fine. Checking your cast-on stitch count while watching TV. Complete and utter stupidity! I cast on for a sweater (knitting in the round) and I was supposed to start off with 246 stitches. Somehow, when I just recounted my stitches, I found out I only have 205. Two hundred and five! Luckily I'm figuring this out rather early on (9 rounds in, so that's not even 2000 stitches yet...) but it still sucks to frog the whole lot of it Sad

Lessons learnt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my brown eyed girl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #521 on: January 25, 2014 01:33:41 PM »

love your handcarved stamps...what an awesome gift!  beautiful sewing and l love that cowl!

Ack, hang in Naantje.  Good thing you caught it early!  Smiley

I'm chugging away on a scarf atm.  Smiley  I'm almost 2/3 of the way done.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Renstar
« Reply #522 on: January 25, 2014 02:34:41 PM »

wow

Everyone has been so busy. I don't feel as though I have made any progress, but here are 2 pairs of bootees.

The crochet converse:

And a pair of knit bootees:

Apparently grey is the colour for babies this season.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

SilverMoon

Rainbow IS a colour!

Probably erring on the wrong side of crazy

« Reply #523 on: January 25, 2014 03:18:59 PM »

Silvermoon, I am impressed by the tiny details on your stamp. I'd like to try making one too. I have some erasers. What kind of tool would you recommend?

For the big sections I use stamp/wood/lino cutting tools, a V gauge mostly. But the tiny detail is all done with a craft knife, we call them stanley knives, but it's not the big sort with a thick grey handle, rather the "slide up out of the handle" sort, that you snap a tiny part of the blade off when it gets blunt. But any reasonably sharp, pointed, cutting tool should do the job.

Just remember to make your cuts slope away from the area you want to print - it gives the stamp more stability. There's an excellent set of pictures at point 8 in this tutorial on stamp carving that show what I mean.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yoopidou

« Reply #524 on: January 25, 2014 03:51:47 PM »

Thanks a lot Silvermoon for all the tips on stamp carving and the link to the tutorial. It's full of great information for a beginner.

Renstar, the converse bay booties are super cute.

Bunny1kenobi, the cowl looks very warm.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #525 on: January 25, 2014 04:55:28 PM »

Thanks for those tips!  loves2experiment gave some of us starter kits for carving...I have made a few stamps by trial and error only...I hope to make a lot more!

Where are you people getting your chunky cowl patterns?  I love the look of them a lot!

UTM--those heart pieces are gorgeous!

I wish I had more babies to make booties for...I have quite a collection of knit items for small feet! Grin I wonder if they would fit dolls like the American Doll?  The converse ones are too cute!  Grey is a nice neutral for all of the colors babies wear and is good for girls and boys!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014 110/150 ?
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

my brown eyed girl

« Reply #526 on: January 25, 2014 06:13:25 PM »

Love the Converse!!!

Thanks Always.  I really can't take credit for the hearts...someone else created them.  I just remade them.  But hopefully I'll play with the wire some more and create something that is mine! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ActsofCraftiness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #527 on: January 25, 2014 06:21:20 PM »

Project #7 & 8 were received by my swap partner today, so now I can share them.

I made some Valentine's Day decorations, a paper heart garland and a heart hoopla. Some of the cardstock I used is glittery, so I have glitter all over and inside my sewing machine. I figure I might as well make one for myself before I clean it out, so hopefully I can do that soon. :p

I have been dying to use the technique I used for the heart hoopla for a while, so I was excited to finally do it. I cut a heart out of freezer paper and ironed it in the middle of my fabric. I used the eraser end of a new pencil and dipped it in stamp ink to make the dots. Some of the ink is sparkly. Grin When it was dry, I removed the freezer paper heart to show the negative space. It was really easy and would make a great project to do with kids. Also, I am in love with painting my embroidery hoops.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2014 06:22:29 PM by ActsofCraftiness » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #528 on: January 25, 2014 09:44:51 PM »

ahem--yes, indeed, they are lovely...and they are MINE!

I was the lucky swap partner who got the glitter and glitz!  Thanks for explaining how you did the hoop heart...it will be something fun for me to try as well...I have yet to do anything with that big roll of freezer I have in my stash!  Sounds like a good place to start!

I love my Valentine's decorations! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014 110/150 ?
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Renstar
« Reply #529 on: January 26, 2014 02:21:16 AM »

Thanks for the comments. I have some more booties to make for another person - they want Gruffalo booties! But I have until May to find / make a pattern.

For now, I am going to finish some wips. I seem to keep starting things again...

Lost my voice on friday, - I didn't even have a squeak  Angry  it is a little better now but still very 'heavy metal', so I'm trying to stay quiet to get better.  It is really hard work!

Loving this hearts, the garlands are so cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 264 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Leather Mystery-Braid Cuffs
Tips For Having A Crafty Fourth Of July Holiday Weekend
Etched Glass Water Bottle Tutorial
Personalized Painted Canvas Placemats
Decorating Bikes for the Fourth of July
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...