A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
467 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DO NOT POST! Setting up the Fall Nerd Battles: September 1 - November 30, 2014  (Read 525 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LovelyMiss
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 22, 2014 07:27:20 AM »

DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD UNTIL THE BATTLES OPEN ON SEPTEMBER 1, 2014!

Welcome to the Fall Nerd Battles Arena!
I, LovelyMiss, shall be your host and Head Gamemaker.

The Fall Nerd Battles welcomes all players from the Nerdyverse to join! The games are to inspire, encourage, and motivate your crafting adventure.  Players can join anytime during the season.

Are you wondering if you are part of the Nerdyverse?  John Green describes it quite well...
Nerds like us are allowed to be unironically enthusiastic about stuff  Nerds are allowed to love stuff, like jump-up-and-down-in-the-chair-cant-control-yourself love it.  ...When people call people nerds, mostly what theyre saying is you like stuff.  Which is just not a good insult at all.  Like, You are too enthusiastic about the miracle of human consciousness.

Rules of Engagement
--There is a list of prompts for you to complete.
--You complete a prompt with a crafty item you think fulfills it; you can use your description to make it clear on how the craft fits the prompt.
--Players must craft to the best of their abilities and have a minimum of 30 minutes of crafting time per submission.  
--A project can only be submitted for one Challenge/Flash Mob/Battle Royale/Alert prompt.
--A project does NOT have to be "nerdy, it only has to fulfill the prompt as you see it.
--Submitted projects must be started and completed during the current season, unless otherwise noted.
--There is SO MUCH to do in the Nerd Games.  Do not feel like you have to craft everything.  Do what inspires you.
--We welcome all players from the Nerdyverse, no matter their Geekdom.  
--We are never mean.  
--We never exclude someone.
--We will keep it cleanish (PG-PG13).  
--We will follow all Craftster guidelines, this includes staying on-topic (serious OT goes in FOC OT boards).  
--You will be asked to join a team.
--Never hesitate in contacting the Head Gamemaker with your questions, concerns, or ideas.

--How to Join the Fall Nerd Battles--
It is easy to join in the Nerd Battles craftalong!  Simply craft an item that fits one of the posted prompts and take photos of your finished project.  Post your project photos in the official Nerd Battles thread (that's where you are now!).  Make sure to include the Completed Project Header (see How to turn in a project) with each project you post.  In the Header of your first completed project you will declare your team. (You do not need to choose a team before you post your first project.)  You officially join a team when your first project is submitted.

About Teams
There are five teams:
Team Textbook: Geekdom of Logic, Knowledge, Science, and Math;
Team Multimedia: Geekdom of Movies, TV, Music, and Gamers;
Team Wordy: Geekdom of Readers, Books, and Wondrous Words;
Team Fandom: Geekdom of Fanfics, Conventions, Midnight Openings, and Beacons of the Nerdyverse;
Team Randomizer: Geekdom of OOAKs, Oddballs, and Marchers to Different Drummers.

--Teams are where like-minded players join to work together.
--There is no limit to the number of people in a team.
--Though you may feel at home on more than one team, pick the one that draws you the most.
--You may choose a new team at the beginning of each season, but you cannot change teams during a season.

---How To Turn in a Project---
Spend at least 30 minutes crafting a project that fits the requirements of a posted prompt.  Take a photo of your finished project.  Post your project photo(s), along with the Completed Project Header, in this thread.

--COMPLETED PROJECT HEADER--
Use this header for each Challenge/Battle Royale/Flash Mob/Alert prompt you submit.

Prompt:  (please include month & category)
Team:
Bonus Points: (include which bonus points you think you've earned, e.g., Giver, Engineering, UFO)
Project Name:
Project Link: (if available)
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques/recipe used, any fun tips, etc.)
Project Picture:

You may add more than one project to your post, but a Completed Project Header must be used for each project you submit.

For the Research Project Proposal and Submission Headers, visit the Research Project Lab.

---Point System---
Challenges, Battles, Flash Mobs, and Alerts will earn 20 points unless otherwise denoted.  Challenges, Battles, Flash Mobs, and Alerts are eligible for additional Bonus Points.

Brownie Points Projects will earn 10 points, and ARE eligible for additional Bonus Points.  Brownie Points Projects are items crafted for charity during the season that are NOT turned in as a prompt or Research Project.  Be sure to claim Giver Bonus Points on any Projects (including Brownie Points) you complete!

Research Projects will earn 100 points.  Research Projects are projects that take three or more weeks to complete.  You must submit a proposal for a Research Project to count.  Research Projects are separate from the normal Challenge/Battle/Flash Mob/Alert prompts.  In most cases it is not permissible to "double dip" on individual Research Project elements, so anything included in a Research Project cannot also be turned in for a Nerd Games Challenge/Battle/Flash Mob/Alert prompt.  Research Projects are eligible for additional Bonus Points.
Visit the Research Project Lab for more information on completing a Research Project.

You can earn 10 Bonus Points for...
--Engineering: Turning in a project that includes a new tutorial, pattern, or recipe posted on Craftster boards (link must be given);
--Giver:  Crafting a project for charity;
--UFO Sighting:  Completing a UFO (Un-Finished Object/Work-In-Progress);
--Prompt specific:  Some prompts may include the opportunity for special bonus points.  This information will be included in the text for the prompt.
You may earn more than one set of bonus points for your project.

At the End Game, there will be Winners (but really no losers)
--Team Winners: average taken from number of players & point scored
--Special Awards: given by gamemakers
Winnings will include bragging rights, badges, and possible prizes.

Fall Nerd Battles Staff
--Head Gamemaker: LovleyMiss
--Gamemaker Emeritus: pinkleo
--Project Tracker: Tanath
--Battle Badge Creator:
--Pinterest Pinster: Calabaza

Team Captains
--Textbook: BadWolf314
--Multimedia: roler
--Wordy: bunny1kenobi
--Fandom: FreakieGeekie
--Randomizer: Calabaza

Official Fall Nerd Battles Pinterest Board

---This is the home for Completed Projects, Research Project Declarations, and "Oooos & Ahhhs."  For discussions, chatting, and progress pics, head over to the Nerd Discussion thread.  Posts will be moved to appropriate location when necessary.  Thanks for your help in keeping the Nerd Games in order!---
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014 07:20:12 PM by LovelyMiss » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovelyMiss

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014 07:28:15 AM »

---Fall Nerd Battles Information Center---

Nerd Games Navigation

Welcome to the Fall Nerd Battles: Information on joining the craftalong, turning in projects, and points.

Prompt Palace:  View all Fall Nerd Battles crafting prompts.

Research Project Lab:  Learn about Research Projects, and see current proposed and completed projects.

Badge Center:  View and claim available badges.

Bounties:  Learn about Bounties, and see completed Bounties.

Nerd of the Week:  View current and past Nerd of the Week projects and recipients.

G3:  Geeky Giver Gang:  Learn about crafting for charity during the Fall Nerd Battles, and view players and projects that have be inducted into G3.

Nerd News Bulletin:  Links to all Nerd News Updates issued during the Summer Nerd Games.

Team Registry:  View Team rosters, and find link to the current Tracking Report.

Portals to Team Headquarters
--Team Textbook--
--Team Multimedia--
--Team Wordy--
--Team Fandom--
--Team Randomizer--

Pinterest Board:  Visit the official Nerdalong Pinterest board.

Nerd Battles FAQ

DATES & TIMES
What is the Nerd Battles time zone?
The Nerd Battles uses central time.  For month specific prompts, have your projects posted by 11:59 p.m. central time on the last day of the month.  The Nerd Battles close at 11:59 p.m. central time on the last day of the season.  

When do the seasons run?
Spring is March - May, Summer is June - August, Fall is September - November, and Winter is December - February.

When can I join?
You can join the Nerd Battles at any time during the season.

When are prompts posted?
New Challenge, Battle Royale, and Flash Mob prompts are posted each month.  They are usually available by noon on the first day of the month.  Alert prompts are usually posted once or twice a season at unspecific times.

TEAMS
How do I join a team?
You officially join a team and will be added to the roster when you post your first project.

Can I switch teams?
You can choose a new team at the start of each season (or whenever you start playing).  Changing teams during the season is not allowed.

PROJECTS
Do projects have to be nerdy?
No.  As long as you describe how your item fits the prompt, it can be anything that takes at least 30 minutes to craft for Challenges, Battles, Flash Mobs, and Alerts, or three weeks or more for Research Projects.

Do the projects I turn in have to be crafted during a certain time period?
Any projects you turn in should be crafted during the current season of the Nerd Battles/Games.  One exception is for works-in-progress.  In the case of WIPs you may have completed a majority of the work prior to the season starting, but as long as you put in at least 30 minutes of crafting time during the current season to finish the project, it is acceptable to turn it in for a prompt.  Be sure to identify projects as WIPs when you post them, and don't forget to claim UFO Bonus Points for any WIPs you complete.

When are projects due?
Battle Royale and Flash Mob prompts are due by the end of their respective months.  Challenge prompts may be turned in any time during the season, regardless of the month in which they are issued.  For example, June Challenges may be turned in during August.  Any special Alert prompts will indicate their specific due date.

I want to claim UFO Bonus Points.  What types of projects are considered WIPs/UFOs?
WIPs/UFOs are projects that you have already started but put aside for some reason or another.  Maybe you lost steam or got distracted, or maybe you ran out of an item you needed.  WIPs/UFOs might also be projects that you specifically bought supplies for, but never got around to making.  Simply using up a supply you've had for a while is not a WIP/UFO, unless that supply was bought specifically for that project.  If a project takes a week or more of steady effort, it might also be considered a WIP/UFO.  Please make sure your project fits one of the outlined conditions when you claim UFO Sighting Bonus Points.  If you need help determining whether or not your project is a WIP/UFO, post a description of your item/situation in the Discussion thread.

I want to claim Giver Bonus Points.  What is considered a "charity?"
Giver Bonus Points may be claimed for projects that are made for organized charities, nonprofits, or groups that assist others in need (items made for fundraisers are acceptable).  It's not about just doing something nice for someone you know, or making something for a friend (though those are great reasons to craft, too!).  Please let us know the organization/cause your projects are made for when you post and claim Giver Bonus Points.

I want to claim Engineering Bonus Points.  What do I have to do?
Engineering Bonus Points can be claimed for a project when you provide a new related recipe, pattern, or tutorial on Craftster.  In most cases you should create a post for your project containing photos and your recipe/pattern/tutorial on the appropriate Craftster Board (and provide a link to that post when you submit your project in this thread).  This will allow more members of the community, outside of the Craftalong, to benefit from your work.

If I craft multiples of the same item, can each one be turned in under a separate prompt?
It's up to you how you turn in projects.  Some players post each item under a different prompt, or some players turn like items in as a set under the same prompt.  Both are acceptable, as long at it meets the crafting time requirements.  (To post them as separate prompts, each iteration will need to take at least 30 minutes of crafting time.)

Can a project "count" for more than one Craftalong?
Yes, definitely, as long as it fits the respective prompts or rules for each Craftalong!  For example, a project may be turned in for a Challenge prompt in the Nerd Battles, and the same project may also be turned in for a Class in the HPC.

Is there a minimum number of projects I need to post?  Do I have to keep up in the thread and comment on every project posted?
No. Though some players like to comment on all of the projects, or turn in many projects, it's all just for fun.  Pop in when you can, comment when you're inspired, post projects when you want to, and don't worry when life gets in the way!  There is no need to ever feel guilty about your level of participation in the Nerd Games.

I finished a project, but it's for a swap, so I just want to post a link to the photo(s).  How do I create a link to a photo?
Upload the photo as normal, and choose the "Copy and paste this into your Craftster post" link.  In that link change [ img ] to [ url ] and [ / img ] to [ / url ] (without the spaces).  Once your secret project is received, you may want to edit your post so the images appear.  When you do, be sure to send the link of your edited post to our Pinterest Princess, Calabaza, so your projects can be pinned to our official Summer Nerd Games Pinterest Board.

OTHER
Do I have to sign-up to play?
No.  The only thing you have to do is start posting projects!  See the "How to join the Nerd Battles" section in the post above for more information.

What are medals?
Medals are extra awards that will be handed out during the end of the season.  If you complete three or more projects in one of the medal Event categories, you will earn a medal.  See Medal Central for more information.

How do I get the badge images to show up in my Craftster profile?
Just upload the badge image under My Picture Hosting.  Once it's uploaded, you will have two options, "Copy and paste this into your Craftster post," or "To show a small linked thumbnail instead, copy and paste this."  Copy the thumbnail link and paste it under the "Brief Bio" section on your profile.  That's it!

I've heard Nerd Battles and Nerd Games.  Are they different?
In short, no.  Technically the Nerd Games happen during the Summer, and Nerd Battles in Fall, Winter, and Spring, but they all fall under the Nerd Games umbrella and are used interchangeably.

What if I have a problem or questions?
If you have an issue or question feel free to contact the Head Gamemaker, LovelyMiss.  If you have a general question about the Nerd Games, you might want to head over the the Discussion Board.  We have wonderfully friendly and helpful players who would love to share their wisdom!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014 07:49:45 AM by LovelyMiss » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovelyMiss

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014 07:28:31 AM »

---Prompt Palace---
You are welcome to craft for any, all, or none of these prompts.  Remember, they are just here to help get your crafty juices flowing!

All prompts listed in this post are eligible to receive 10 Giver Bonus Points (if the project is for charity), 10 Engineering Bonus points (if the project includes a new tutorial, pattern, or recipe), and 10 UFO Sighting Bonus Points (if the project is a work-in-progress/un-finished object).  More than one set of Bonus Points may be claimed if the project meets the necessary requirements of each.  Certain prompts may also have their own unique Bonus Point opportunities, which are in addition to Giver, Engineering, and UFO Sighting Bonus Points.

Battle Royale
Choose a side and craft a project to represent your choice.  Must be completed within the month of issue.  Players may only submit one project per month/Battle.  Battle Royale prompts are worth 20 points each.

September Battle:  TBD

Flash Mob
A flash mob is when many people suddenly come together to participate in the same act, usually something fun or unusual, and then disperse.  Our flash mobs involve synchronized crafting, so gather your stash, set your glue gun to "awesome," and prepare for the countdown...

Flash Mobs are quick and easy challenges that must be completed within the month they are issued.  Each Flash Mob prompt may only be submitted one time.  Flash Mob prompts are worth 20 points each.

September Mob:  TBD

Challenges
You may complete challenges at any time during the season (for example, June prompts may be submitted in July or August), but you may only submit each prompt one time.  Challenge prompts are worth 20 points each.

--September--
Name.  Info.

RED ALERT!
From time to time a special alert prompt may be issued and must be completed in the time frame indicated.  Each alert prompt may only be submitted one time.  Alert prompts are worth 20 points each.

No Alert prompts are available at this time.  Check back later in the Battles!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014 03:54:24 PM by LovelyMiss » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovelyMiss

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014 07:29:32 AM »

---Research Project Lab---
Research Projects are self-directed projects, similar to independent study.  They are more time-consuming than normal prompts, and are meant to be a personal challenge to the player.  Research Projects must take a minimum of three weeks to complete.

Research Projects are worth 100 points, and are eligible for 10 Giver Bonus Points (if the project is for charity), and 10 Engineering Bonus Points (if the project includes a new tutorial, pattern, or recipe).  More than one set of Bonus Points may be claimed if the project meets the necessary requirements of each.  Research Projects are NOT eligible to claim UFO Sighting Bonus Points.

---RESEARCH PROJECT QUICK GUIDE ---
1. Select what project you would like to complete.  You may only do one Research Project at a time so select carefully.
2. Propose what you plan on doing for your Research Project.  Using the Research Project Proposal Header below, post your proposal in this thread, or PM it to the Head Gamemaker, LovelyMiss.
3. Begin your project.  Feel free to add progress pics in the Discussion thread as you work on your item(s).
4. Once your project is complete, use the Research Project Submission Header below, and post a picture of your project in this thread.
---GOOD LUCK!---

---RESEARCH PROJECT FAQ---
How do I do a Research Project?
Research Projects must be proposed before you begin so Gamemakers can keep track of your progress and offer encouragement along the way.   Use the Research Project Proposal Header, available below, to propose your project in this thread.  If your project is a surprise, such as a swap item, you may PM your proposal to the Head Gamemaker, LovelyMiss.  Include relevant information in your proposal, such as materials, plan of action, and a timeline of how your project will fulfill the three week crafting requirement.  You may post progress photos in the Discussion thread, but it is not a requirement.

Once your Research Project is complete, you will turn it in using the Research Project Submission Header, available below.  Give details and provide at least one photo of your completed Research Project in your post.  Research Projects should be submitted in this thread.

How long do Research Projects have to take?
Speed and difficulty are very subjective and unique to each individual.  There is no set number of hours that you must put into a Research Project, but it needs to be in the works for at least three weeks, and be a personal challenge to you.

Your crafting time begins when you submit your proposal.  Three weeks from that date is the earliest you would be able to turn in your Research Project.  Research Projects can take longer than three weeks.  Any unfinished Research Projects at the end of the season will carry over to the next round of the Nerd Battles/Games.  

What if I finish early?
Research Projects that do not take the allotted three week time limit will not be counted as complete.  If you finish earlier than expected, craft an additional item(s) that corresponds to your Research Project.  Add a note when you turn in your project that you finished early, and include details about your additional crafting.

How do I choose a Research Project?
A Research Project can be anything that will be a personal challenge to you and that takes at least three weeks of crafting time.  Choose carefully, as you may only have one Research Project going at a time.  If you decide to change or abandon your Research Project, notify the Head Gamemaker, LovelyMiss, and your proposal will be deleted from the records.  Once a Research Project is completed or deleted, you may propose another.

Can I propose a work-in-progress as a Research Project?
Yes, as long as you have at least three weeks of crafting time left to go on the project before it is finished.  You should include WIP status and timeline information when you fill out the Research Project Proposal Header to demonstrate that your project requires at least three more weeks of work to be complete.

Can I have multiple Research Projects?  
You may only have one Research Project going at a time.  If you decide to change or abandon your Research Project, notify the Head Gamemaker, LovelyMiss, and your proposal will be deleted from the records.  Once a Research Project is completed or deleted, you may propose another.

When can I propose a Research Project?  When are Research Projects due?
You may propose a Research Project at any time during the season. Your crafting time begins when you submit your proposal.  Three weeks from that date is the earliest you would be able to turn in your Research Project.  Research Projects can take longer than three weeks.  As soon as you finish a Research Project, you may submit another Research Project Proposal.  Any unfinished Research Projects at the end of the season will carry over to the next round of the Nerd Battles/Games.

How many points are Research Projects worth?
Reseach Projects will earn 100 points.  Research Projects are also eligible to earn Engineering and Giver Bonus Points.  Research Projects are NOT eligible for UFO Bonus Points.  Research Projects are separate from the normal Challenge/Battle/Flash Mob/Alert prompts.  In most cases it is not permissible to "double dip" on individual Research Project elements, so anything included in a Research Project cannot also be turned in for a Nerd Games Challenge/Battle/Flash Mob/Alert prompt.

--RESEARCH PROJECT PROPOSAL HEADER--
Use this header when proposing a Research Project.

Research Project Name:
Team:
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques used, materials, plan of action, expected timeline, etc.)

--RESEARCH PROJECT SUBMISSION HEADER--
Use this header when turning in a completed Research Project.

Research Project Name:
Team:
Bonus Points: (include which Bonus Points you think you've earned - Giver, Engineering, or N/A)
Project Link: (if available)
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques used, any fun tips, etc.)
Project Picture:

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014 04:09:22 PM by LovelyMiss » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovelyMiss

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014 07:29:51 AM »

---Badge Center---
You may claim your badges when you submit completed projects for the corresponding prompts.

--Battle Royales--
--September--

--Challenges--
--September--

--Flash Mobs--
--September--

--Special--
--Alert--

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014 04:11:12 PM by LovelyMiss » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovelyMiss

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014 07:30:04 AM »

*Please note, this is list is only updated about once a week.  If you see any projects missing, don't fret!  It's likely the list just hasn't been updated yet.  Additionally, our fantastic Project Tracker, Tanath, keeps a very detailed master list of every project submitted for the Nerd Games, which is used to determine final scores and any end of season awards.  This is just an informal list for players have a general idea of Nerd Games progress.*

Team Textbook: Geekdom of Logic, Knowledge, Science, and Math
Team Captain BadWolf314

Team Multimedia: Geekdom of Movies, TV, Music, and Gamers
Team Captain roler

Team Wordy: Geekdom of Readers, Books, and Wondrous Words
Team Captain bunny1kenobi

Team Fandom: Geekdom of Fanfics, Conventions, Midnight Openings, and Beacons of the Nerdyverse
Team Captain FreakieGeekie

Team Randomizer: Geekdom of OOAKs, Oddballs, and Marchers to Different Drummers
Team Captain Calabaza

Current Project Tracker Report
by Master Project Tracker, Tanath
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014 06:44:52 PM by LovelyMiss » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovelyMiss

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014 07:30:25 AM »

Bounties
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovelyMiss

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014 07:30:36 AM »

Nerd of the Week
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovelyMiss

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014 07:30:46 AM »

G3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovelyMiss

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014 07:31:00 AM »

---Update Bulletin Board---
Updates are issued periodically to announce new features, or provide players with information about the Nerd Battles/Games.  All updates issued during the current season can be found below.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014 07:40:48 AM by LovelyMiss » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Emily Yellin Reveals Her Biggest Pet Peeve
Susan RoAne Reveals Her Favorite Movie
The Book of Spam Book Trailer Part 3
Kaza Kinglsey Reveals Her Best Quality
Heather Henson Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...