A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,466
Currently Running With Scissors:
617 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Knitter - First Project WIP  (Read 337 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

krissy-poo
« on: March 11, 2014 06:25:25 PM »

So I have been crocheting for about 8 years, never tried my hand at the needles until now. I wanted to make a Tom Baker Doctor Who scarf, and being a true Whovian and wanting to have it authentic, I decided to knit it. I got casting on pretty quickly, and the knit stitch looks ok (even though I apparently hold my yarn in the "wrong hand"...my left...but it's easier for me coming from crochet). It's coming along quite nicely, except my first color change is on the wrong side...ugh! Being a perfectionist, I debated pulling it all out and starting over, but then decided it will be at the end and no one will notice except me with that much scarf (it will be like 8 feet long, after all). So I'd like to share what I have done so far. I'm also looking for a good second pattern to try. I'd like to knit socks at some point, but not sure how complicated that will be? If you know of a good beginner sock pattern (one that goes into great detail for those who have not done much knitting) it would be greatly appreciated! Anyway, without further delay, here is my progress so far (I started on Friday night):

ETA: Here's where I got my pattern: http://vermontpublictv.blogspot.ca/2012/07/doctor-who-scarf-knitting-or-crochet.html
Colors are all Lion Brand Vanna's Choice.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014 06:26:29 PM by krissy-poo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014 06:48:15 AM »

Your stitches seem nice and even - good job!

Holding the yarn in the left hand isn't 'wrong', it's called continental style and many many people use it, you may have seen other do english or 'throwing' with the yarn in the right hand, but neither is right or wrong. There's also several other different styles too. The color blips showing at the change is normal, and I think if you did them on the other side, they'd show too, it's because they show on the purl bump.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
amazing_784
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014 04:25:24 PM »

I knit Continental as well.  I've also knit a couple Dr. Who scarves for my bro and sil.  Nice work so far, keep persevering!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014 05:43:17 AM »

I learned to knit socks with Silver's Sock Class :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
An Extended Look at a Great Game: Hockey
Crash And Burn by Artie Lange
Ernest Cline on Giving Away a DeLorean with a Flux Capacitor
Victoria Wilson: What Are You Reading?
Bryce Andrews: What Are You Reading?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...