A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
807 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Zombie Girls and Frankenstein Brides  (Read 2349 times)
Tags for this thread: art_doll , zombie , bride_of_frankenstein  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lunamadre
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013 09:38:39 PM »

aw, thanks everyone! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gamesofyou

Say I'm the only bee in your bonnet...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013 02:58:48 AM »

I love these so much, they're really incredible! Cheesy

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of material did you use for the faces? Did you treat it with anything before painting, or did you just go for it? I've been wanting to get into painting on fabric, but I don't know if I need to do anything to the fabric or what.

Anyway, these rock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Artisan82

formerly Crafty.Canadian

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013 07:40:44 AM »

LOVE LOVE LOVE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post all my crafty stuff on Facebook.  I'd LOVE if you'd like my page!
Artisan 82 on Facebook
My baby, my Etsy shop: Artisan 82 on Etsy
Tribble79
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013 01:00:15 AM »

Those are great I love them. The painted faces are awesome and the Frankenstein faces are adorable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lunamadre
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013 07:36:55 PM »

Yikes, I haven't been on craftster since October??? Thanks for the recent comments everyone!

And to answer the question, the fabric is simply a cotton solid, like a broadcloth I think. It's a very super pale minty green, which helps give that undead palor. Cheesy I don't treat the fabric in any way before painting. I use artist's acrylics in a tube, like Liquitex or Grumbacher, water to thin or make washes, and plain old artist's brushes.
I prefer to use a water soluble marker to sketch the faces first, since I've found that using pencil tends to leave things "dirty" or doesn't hide well. I don't sketch or paint faces until the doll is stuffed. Personally I like to stuff my dolls very firm, so the surface is really smooth, taut, and has a rounded surface. I've read that some doll artists prefer a looser stuff and kind of smoosh the face into a flatter surface to paint. I've tried this and hated it. I felt like I was trying to paint a pillow and I got sloppy lines. I used to professionally paint pottery full time, so I am very used to painting surfaces that are three dimensional, like bowls and vases. I felt that I had more control over the brush when the surface is firm and doesn't have a lot of "give". But whatever works for you personally. I would just experiment and see what you like! Sometimes I keep a scrap of the face fabric next to me to test the color and see if I like it before putting it on the actual doll. The most intimidating thing about painting is that I've already spent so much time constructing and stuffing the doll, I always feel some anxiety when I start. There's only so much you can "correct" when painting the face. If you have any unfinished dolls that you want to experiment on, I say go for it. Or just do what I did, just start painting and pray it works out. lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear Metallic Makeup
Carolina Herrera Fall 2014 Beauty NYFW
How to Make Your Lips Appear Bigger
This Couple Got Facelifts Together
His & Her Facelifts
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...