A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,039
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bead Loomed Coronation Street bookmark [beadloom pic included!]  (Read 580 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

evilkitten25
♥ Game 'n' Craft ♥

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2013 03:16:03 PM »

It took my dad over a month to finish building my bead loom [I could have done it but... I don't trust myself around saws, lol].  He kept getting called back to work throughout November so he wasn't off for the season.. so last week I finally got to make this.

This is a Christmas gift for my grandmother whose watched Coronation street since it came on tv so..yeah.  Thought I'd make her a beaded project.  It was SUPPOSE to be a keychain but I grabbed sized 8 Japanese toho beads and it ended up being the perfect size for a bookmark and she reads a lot [is crafty as well].  Thinking about it now I've NEVER made her anything with my many crafting abilities.

Anywho, I showed my dad that it was too big and he laughed and asked if it was a bracelet, nope keychain..but it was too long.."plan b?" "BOOKMARK!" "BRILLIANT!" hahaha.

The store in the mall ended up having a coronation street scarf so we bought it [I was originally going to knit her one but settled on the beads], got her a 2014 coronation street calander, 2 coronation street magnets and a coronation street through the years book... ya.. wrapping it all I had a laugh..that everything for her was Corry themed Wink

The only thing I didn't like about bead looming was all the damned ENDS to weave it.. that took the longest.. days upon days... and about 4 beading needles [lost 2 and 1 broke due to the constant weaving].

The looming took maybe... 6-8 hours. It worked up fast once I got a rhythm going.

We stopped by my grandmothers house last night and convinced her to open my gift.. she kept asking, 'did you really make it?!" repeatedly, lol.  Kept giving me hugs.  Her face when she saw it was priceless.  Glad she likes it.  She called me a little bit ago.  She took the bookmark in to her quilting class and showed it off to the other ladies and now they want one, lol. Cheesy

I altered a coronation street cross stitch image I found online to fit the beadwork so..ya..lol.

UPDATE: I finally got around to uploading the pictures of the loom.  It's not pretty..lol my dad ignored me and drilled the holes without doubt checking... he drilled on side at 1/4" and the other 1/2" lol. He ended up pouring woodglue into the holes.. told him not too... yaaaaa.. So I'll be sanding off the glue, sanding the sides smoother, adding wood putty to the holes and painting it at some point down the line. I think it's 18 inches by 6 or 8 inches.  We had made a smaller 10 by 4 inches but it was too small once we cut the pieces and looked at it.  It's big..ackward to handle but if I sit upright and add a tonne of pillows around it works well.  Just starting out the project gets frustrating because it's far away but ya.  I love it.. but I need to paint it..maybe a scene from super Mario bros, lol.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2013 10:40:47 AM by evilkitten25 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013 04:07:48 PM »

Great work! Would love to see the loom your dad made too! I'm intrigued!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Listessa

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013 10:08:26 PM »

I love bead looms! 
It is beautiful, you picked some great "tassel" beads too.  Smiley  No wonder she liked it!

I'd love to  see a picture of the loom your dad made you too. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
stellaheartocean

inappropriate in every way imaginable

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013 01:36:51 PM »

What a great gift! It looks fabulous, your stitches are very tidy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014 03:55:12 PM »

Oh how neat! Thank you for sharing the loom photos! Your dad rocks!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lisa Genova Talks About Still Alice
The Bone Box Book Trailer
Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman Talks About Long Way Down
Ted Bell Talks About Tsar
Eric Weiner Talks About The Shadow Market
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...