A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,912
Currently Running With Scissors:
409 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The handmade vs. store bought gift discussion... a little something to share  (Read 1075 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 19, 2013 11:43:22 AM »

I saw something today on the news I wanted to share - actually, as I am in my craft room working on something, it was heard.  I usually have something on the TV for background noise, but this caught my attention during the news at noon.  The local station I like to tune in to, has a call in segment they call Talk Back Toronto, where they have callers call in on the topic of the day to discuss, and today's topic was on spending on presents this time of year. 

I included the video, but it shows the entire newscast - the segment I am talking about is at the 34-38 minute mark:

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video

But the gist of it is that Ken Shaw, the male anchor, in discussion with one of the callers, said something that made me just want to stand up and cheer.  He said something along the lines of, as he/we get older, we don't need as much, and how he does appreciate homemade gifts, especially as his wife is a happy knitter.  He did not want to discuss that too much, in case friends and loved ones were watching, but then he stated, "but it means a lot more when you get something that someone put time and love into."

I could have reached through the TV screen to grab his face and kiss him for spreading that word!  AMEN brother!

Again, crafting/homemade makes the news!  Love it when that happens, but also love the reinforcement of the message to value homemade gifts for the love and time that we put into it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Team Wordy!

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013 05:27:51 PM »

Yay!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
HeatherG

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013 05:53:36 PM »

I saw that on the news and was thrilled to hear it.  One year my sister-in-laws family had a rule that every gift to each other had to be hand made.  No man, woman or child was exempt.  It could be cooked, crafted, woodworked, every craft was allowed as long as it was not bought.  She got some really beautiful things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013 07:20:19 PM »

I saw that on the news and was thrilled to hear it.  One year my sister-in-laws family had a rule that every gift to each other had to be hand made.  No man, woman or child was exempt.  It could be cooked, crafted, woodworked, every craft was allowed as long as it was not bought.  She got some really beautiful things.

That's a wonderful tradition - it encourages creativity, and appreciation for handcrafted skill - wonderful.  We encourage it in our group - every once in awhile, we have a Christmas in July or August and the rule is that the gift has to be hand made, skill levels do not matter.  It's so much fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
WitchyPuOnline
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014 09:04:37 PM »

I prefer handmade gifts than store bought ones, especially baked items.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beware the "crafter" after midnight!

Swaps
OTST:Done
LV:current
blupaisan

crayyyyyyzeeeeeee about cats!!!

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014 04:50:26 AM »

So glad this newsanchor is that wise. How can we help? spread the word, just like he did. But spread it all over, not just here on Craftster where you might be preaching to the choir. I am not sure where or how, but I feel strongly about doing this. Thanks for starting this thread. Awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It were lightnin'...
machinecool
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014 10:01:58 AM »

I had this discussion w/ xGF one time.
My end went: so I should have just gotten u some store bought $20 item rather than making something?
Her whine was I'm slow on delivering.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Quantumphysica
Dark Foe Of The World (Part-Time)

Sex, Crafts and Silmarils

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014 05:02:01 PM »

I love handmade gifts, both giving and receiving them but I think you should really know the person you're giving a gift before you pick handmade over store-bought. Handcrafted gifts are more intimate, which means that if the recipient hates them or is mortified by them, the awkwardness is way, way worse than if they were store-bought. (At least, that's how I've always felt it. When someone did all that effort to make me something and I honestly hate the result, it just feels awful. Same if I make something and I can tell the recipient dislikes it.)
I craft gifts for my direct family members and S.O. almost every year, but I tend to avoid handmade gifts for extended family and in-laws
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amazon_warrior
You say "scientist or artist?" like they're mutually exclusive.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014 03:52:43 AM »

Last year I made handcrafted gifts for my close family and friends for Christmas, and I really enjoyed it - I hope they did too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Finished: 17/14 quilted items in 2014 - over half way!

I have a blog, yes I do.  Also, Pinterest.
steiconi
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014 09:24:58 PM »

I don't give individual holiday gifts, but every year I make a "holiday ornament" series.  They're usually based on something I got interested in during the year--one year paper mache, another Day of the Dead. 

I bring a box of ornaments when I'm going to see friends, and let them pick their favorite--I am psychologically incapable of doing the exact same thing twice, so there's usually a variety of color and themes. 

It's a lot like baking treats, but more fun (I'm a crafter, not a baker!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dethroned Miss Delaware Files Lawsuit Against Pageant
The Perfect 5 Minute Brows
How to Fake a Full Eyebrow
Tricks That Prevent Your Hair Color from Fading
Brow Makeover With Kelley Baker: Growing Out Your Brows
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...