A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,693
Currently Running With Scissors:
691 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: embroidered necklace help  (Read 489 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tighttights
*~*Tight Tights!*~*

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2013 08:50:03 AM »

I have done a search on this website as well as a general Internet search and I can not find any instructions on how to make these necklaces.  I want to make some for gifts but I am clueless on how to take my embroidery and turn it into a necklace. I don't want to use a setting and that is really the only tutorials I can find. If anyone has made these types of necklaces or knows somewhere where I could find instruction I will be eternally grateful!! I've included pictures on the type of necklace I'm talking about! Smiley thank you everyone for all the help I have gotten from you guys in the past!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013 09:22:19 AM »

Here is a larger embroidered necklace, but the technique could be adapted to the smaller size.

Tutorial:  http://www.beading-arts.com/2011/03/in-winter-my-garden-dreams-part-one.html

I like this idea a lot!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stillatthetop
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013 09:57:24 AM »

These look hand stitched. And I shall assume that is what you are wishing for. Unless you have means to digitize for a machine.

Just stitch them how you like them, stitch on a backing around the edges, {by hand or machine tight zig zag}, attach jump rings behind or at the sides for the chain to fit in and attach to. Add your clasp...and ta daaaaa!

Your photos are showing you the different directions to aim your satin stitches. But just make them up how you like them. I would use muslin as a base fabric for the stitching. And also for the backing, or....

You could even do them two sided/reversable if you wished to. With embroidery on both sides. You woun't need to pad them, as your underthreads will puff them up already.

This is a very pretty project, and could also be used for keychains, or those phone fobs? If you made them smaller.

~T

Whoops...another idea for the chain is a small strip of bias tape for a regular chain to slip into. At the top of the design on the back side. Kind of a pocket of sorts, with open ends for the chain to come through. In the width of the top. Just make it up! Art is fun to experiment with! If it flops, turn it into a cat toy. I do that all the time  Grin Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013 10:05:49 AM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013 09:57:54 AM »

It looks like you could use plastic or even cloth canvas...I like the geometric shape and the stitching looks pretty straight forward...

A quickie google search came up with this easy tutorial you might want to try: Her stitches are not that great, but the technique looks easy enough.

http://whydontyoumakeme.com/diy-embroidered-necklace/
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013 10:01:24 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmarion3

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013 01:22:59 PM »

Good suggestions so far.

You could use a quilt type approach. Satin backing or something smooth that will feel good against your skin. Satin would be nice, classy and smooth.
Then a layer of something stiff but not too stiff. I liked the idea of plastic or cloth canvas, maybe felt...two layers might work if the batting or cloth was not sturdy enough, then your embroidery. Trim all layers to shape leaving a narrow edge. coating the edge of the embroidery fabric with a no-fray product would help.  This way you can use what ever shape you want.

Use a satin type stitch around the edges. The chain could be attached with stitching as well.

A last thought was to pin your embroidery and your satin backing wrong side out. Machine stitch around the edges with a short stitch length leaving an opening to turn. Trim edges, snip on curves and turn. Add the stiffening fabric or felt cut to size to the inside, stitch the opening closed. Finish with a satin stitch around all edges. Might make a neater, sturdier edge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Art Journaling and Fabric Art Journaling
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
tighttights
*~*Tight Tights!*~*

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013 04:35:13 PM »

Thank you guys soo much!! When I get the necklaces that I want to make done I will post pictures. You guys are the best. Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013 06:49:52 AM »

Really looking forward to seeing them!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold an Origami Six Piece Lotus Flower
How to Fold an Origami Box with a Lid
How to Fold a Paper Football
Christmas Origami - Folding a Dove
How to Fold an Origami Turkey
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...