A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,179
Currently Running With Scissors:
600 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: White boots - retro or tacky??  (Read 2720 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jan_on_ice

oh how i wish i was a fish...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: July 11, 2005 12:14:18 AM »

I have heaps of cute 70's dresses and figured that they would look perfect with some white knee-high go-go boots. White boots are pretty hard to find, so when I saw some today, I grabbed them straight away. They weren't exactly what I wanted (the heel is higher than I would prefer) but they were pretty cheap so I figured it was a pretty good deal. They look like kinda these: http://www.mydivascloset.com/noname336.html only with a black heel.

Anyway, my boyfriend reckons they give the impression that I look easy (he thinks that about most boots though) and the more I think about it, the more I realise that the only people I ever see wearing white boots these days are strippers or "promotional" girls. So I was wondering, what do you think about white boots? Retro or slutty??

THIS ROCKS   Logged

***Truly Outrageous!!***
Schmoo
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005 12:19:10 AM »

I think your boyfriend needs to have less input on your wardrobe selections!  Wink

If YOU like the white boots then wear the white boots-I somehow doubt that you come across as slutty in person, with or without white boots! Most of what makes someone look "slutty" is facial expression and general behavior, not the clothes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LRS
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005 05:10:53 AM »

There are two things that could push white boots into the slutty category.  You've got neither.

Really high skinny heels push it toward slutty - but your heels are solid.

More importantly, what else are you wearing?  Retro dresses mean a sweet, nostalgic look.  If you went for corsets, miniskirts, tight leather, etc, then we could talk slutty!

You sound young, and I worry a little.  As Schmoo pointed out, your boyfriend should have very little to say about your clothes, beyond "Wow! You look great today."  If he's trying to tell you what to wear, it's a real danger sign.  (I may be overreacting because a young woman I care about recently was in a relationship with a young man who was way too controlling.)  PM me if this is an issue that you want to talk about.

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy.com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.com
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005 07:38:52 AM »

Those boots a perfect for the 70's look.  The chunky heels and wide toe, were very comfortable too..  That is actually a part of the 70's I miss.  And I agree, your boy has way too much input on your wardworb.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2005 07:41:20 AM by GloryB » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PurpleHeather
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005 07:58:51 AM »

White boots can be good if you wear them with the right stuff, and the retro dresses sound good.  In my opinion they look cheap when they are not cared for, so I'd just say try to make sure that they are clean and polished.  It might be worth talking to a shoe store about whether it's worth getting some suede/nubuck protector for them if they are a thin leather.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mmd32
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005 04:48:22 PM »

While I am not a fan of white boots, I think done right, they will look great.

Re the boyfriend's input, my own dh says boots that go to the knee, or at least a ways over the ankle, are f___-me boots...While I am not letting it influence my wearing them, I am now aware that a certain slice of the male population has a very narrow view of what they mean. And yes, I am busy re-educating him, lol!

Murali
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whisp of lace
Kitty goes mew?

But who can decide what they dream? And Dream I do

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005 05:34:37 PM »

retro....your bf has no taste! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~*Don't say i'm out of touch
with this rampant chaos - your reality
I know well what lies beyond my sleeping refuge
the nightmare I built my own world to escape!*~*
SexiSadi
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005 07:18:04 PM »

Re the boyfriend's input, my own dh says boots that go to the knee, or at least a ways over the ankle, are f___-me boots...While I am not letting it influence my wearing them, I am now aware that a certain slice of the male population has a very narrow view of what they mean. And yes, I am busy re-educating him, lol!

Murali

Yeah, well, I know quite a few males who, if you were wearing a potato sack would think "Hey, she's wearing a f--- Me Sack!  Sexy!" lol  I think the problem is just that some men don't want ANY OTHER man to know what he has.  However, I guess you just really can't help it if you were born cute, right?  At least that's what I tell my man when he squaks about something i'm wearing.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emilytate
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005 09:29:53 PM »

my boyfriend and i both say the white boots are a go --- ESPECIALLY with retro 70's dresses. He says you'd need a white (or other color) hairband to equal out the look, though. i say, wear them with whatever, they're CUTE!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."
-anais nin
Schmoo
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005 11:55:29 PM »

LOL-yeah I'm thinkin' that the whole "women wearing boots are easy" thing should be the sole responsibility of the guy who spouts off about it. Is he so vastly experienced with women wearing boots being easy? Cheesy

I swear, a guy gets a quirky little obsession into his head and it can take HOURS of work to pound it outta there....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Beauty Secrets Hiding in Your Kitchen
How to Get Twiggy’s Long Lash Look
Best & Worst Style
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Of The Week
How To Highlight and Contour Your Abs
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...