A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,173
Currently Running With Scissors:
409 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: so ... any south dakotans or upper plains craftsters??  (Read 10007 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lilepad
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005 10:19:28 AM »

someone in Michael's told me about the yarn stores but it was too late on a Saturday to get to them. Sad I am going to try to get there soon though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CamsMama
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2005 01:45:59 PM »

I just joined to say that I'm from Rapid City. There aren't many of us out there, are there?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
serenityinsleep
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2005 03:03:04 PM »

Ooooh, I was just in Rapid City on the 26th for the after-christmas shopping sales.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenhls
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006 05:56:01 AM »

Hi, Mobridge SD here, used to be from east of Aberdeen (Groton) but moved a year ago.  Yarn here?  Lion brand fun furs and Red Heart (yikes).  I spin so I have my own stash of wool yarn.  Internet is good for yarn shopping too!  There is also a Yarn Knit in Aberdeen as one of the owners of the store lives just 10 miles south east of Aberdeen and has camels on her farm! The Sioux Falls store opened first and then she opened the one in Aberdeen.  Anyway,  nice yarns there.  Groton has a small store with some nice yarns and fiber but is only open one day per week and that is Thursday.   Anyone know of any other spinning and yarn shops?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006 12:39:55 PM »

Athena Fibers just opened in Sioux Falls, too, a couple months ago.  It's on Hawthorne I believe, just south of 41st.  It's in a very residential district, in an old Victorian style house.  I may be biased, since I do know the owner, but I like this store a lot better than Yarn Knit.  Athena has more "traditional," basic yarns, and less froofy stuff.  And I think they just go in some spinnng fibers.  Definately worth checking out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
inaik

*~Creativity is a drug I cannot live without~*

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2006 10:18:40 PM »

Hello! I'm from Rapid City as well. It would seem there truly are only a few of us South Dakotans here. I actually stumbled upon this site while looking for local knitting or SnB groups. If anyone knows of one or might be interested in forming one, please let me know. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."
          --Edgar Allan Poe--
fullernj
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2006 01:43:19 PM »

Hi all, just wanted to jump in and say I'm from SD too, north of Sioux Falls, although we are moving to the Aberdeen area this summer.  I'm going to miss the craft and fabric stores in Sioux Falls.  Oh well, I guess I'll have more of an excuse to shop online...LOL

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Josie  -  mom to four, wife to one (thank goodness)
ohmyword
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2006 02:26:58 PM »

I know some of these posts are old, but anyway, I'm in ND right now, but the hubby and I might be moving to rapid city area.. (hopefully).  What kind of stores are down there for craft supplies???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

etsy

I do personal swaps.
moderngypsy
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2006 09:08:35 PM »

I went to school in Vermillion and even though I'm in Omaha now, I try to get up to Sioux Falls every once in a while -- I'm in mad, mad love with the fiber shop and the yarn shop and the fabric shop for quilters up there.  Mrrowr.  (There are yarn shops here in Omaha, but nothing that sells fiber for spinning, so I have to drive up to get a fix now and again. :>)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

-----em
creative inspiration:
http://moderngypsy.com
jlyarnworks
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2006 11:12:28 PM »

I'm also in Sioux Falls. I head up a Stitch 'N' Bitch group that meets Friday nights at Camille's. Any and all are welcome. Knitters, crocheters, cross-stitchers...anyone with a portable craft.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SnB_SiouxFalls/
I had no idea there was another one! You should get listed on stitchnbitch.org!

I also teach knitting at the SF Michaels talked about earlier. We definitely carry more than the LB Boucle, but no fisherman's. If you're looking for anything Lion Brand in SF, the place to go is Hancock Fabrics. That's the only brand they carry! I know they have the fisherman's wool since I've looked around for yarns I can dye. Hobby Lobby and Michaels both carry Lion Brand also, but different selections. Like Hobby Lobby carries their 100% wool, whereas the only 100% wool Michaels carries is Patons.

If anyone is planning a trip to SF to look for a specific yarn, feel free to email me first. I shop for yarn WAY more than I should. The only place I hardly ever go is Yarn Knit. I love the service there....I just can't afford half of what they carry and I'm rarely in the neighborhood. Athena's has a great "classic" yarn selection and I drive by it all the time. They also have very reasonable prices. They know me pretty well in there. Smiley I just bought a GREAT drop-spindle from them for under $15 and they have a great price on wool roving as well. To top it off, Judy (one of the owners), helped me figure out what I was doing wrong on my student spindle!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Lace Easter Eggs
How to Make Silk Tie Dyed Easter Eggs
Gabby_Giffords_Sizzle_Lock_MM
DIY Noodle Jewelry
How to Use a Kindness Jar
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...