A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,139
Currently Running With Scissors:
429 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: bead/glass blowers can you direct me...  (Read 472 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweetyetevil
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: December 12, 2013 09:38:22 AM »

I had someone ask me about bead/glass blowing since they know I do crafts but I am clueless on this subject since I have never done it before. I told her I would ask here!
Where is/are great beginner website(s), book or brand products to try? How about some companies to check for products? Anything info you can provide will be appreciated! I fuse glass but am just a beginner myself and although blowing glass and making beads sounds cool I have plenty of other crafts I am tackling.  Grin

Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013 05:53:54 PM »

Hi and glad you thought to ask here. Smiley

For someone who has no experience with lampwork, these are some ideas:
Watch this video on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gAis42ZOes&feature=youtu.be

Track down more on the basics to see if after that the friend is still interested.

Find a local glass supply store. These places are a wealth of information, and often will offer classes. Here you can also buy any supplies you need and ask the staff for direction on how to get started.

Good luck, and let me know if I can help more. Also tell your friend to post some work here. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steiconi
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014 12:38:49 AM »

Cindy Jenkins has written two or three books that are great for beginners.

I would simply hit the library and check out every single book on lampworking/torchwork/glass bead making, then take them home and drool.

a Hot Head is a great inexpensive torch for soft glass.  Some call it a beginner torch, but a lot of pros use them, too.  They generally cost about $50 or less.

speaking of prices, this is an EXPENSIVE hobby!  you'll need a torch, tanks of gas and hoses to connect, a few tools, a kiln, mandrels, bead release...and GLASS.  Some glass is pretty cheap--$10 to $12 a pound.  Some is astronomically more than that.  And you really NEED lots and lots and lots of colors!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
speedingpullet
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014 11:36:47 AM »

I'd echo everything that steiconi said - as much fun as it is its not a 'cheap' hobby, even using a Hot Head (which incidentally I love and still use on occasion) and the cheapest colors you can find.

Also, look into taking a class on lamp working. I'd leave the actual glassblowing to a time when you're a) used to dealing with really really hot glass and b) fairly sure you want to pursue hot glass as a hobby.

Fortunately, you'll find that some bead stores will even have beginners lamp working classes. It really depends on where you are, but you might find your local college has glass classes that you can take to get a feel for it.

Not trying to put you off at all, but its kind of a shock how frikkin hot even supposedly 'warm' glass lamp working is, and its invaluable to learn basic safety precautions when lamp working.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Find Glass Blowing Classes
How to Find Glass Blowing Jobs
How to Rent a Glass Blowing Studio
Introduction to Glass Blowing
Is Home Glass Blowing Possible
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...