A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,181
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What is your go-to solids line?  (Read 819 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ActsofCraftiness
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: December 11, 2013 01:40:54 PM »

It's a lot easier (and cheaper) to buy fabric online than it is for me to go to a quilt store. I know there are a few well-liked solids lines, but I don't know what the differences are between them. I also know that I could go into a quilt shop to check them out, but I'm new to quilting and don't really know what I like yet or what to look for in quality fabric.

I'm asking a lot of questions here, but I'd love to pick your brain:
What is your go-to solids fabric line? What do you like about it over the others available? What have your experiences with different lines been? Lastly, do you think buying a color card is worth it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013 01:55:30 PM »

I typically buy Kona because they have such a great selection and are easy to find. Good price too.

I've ordered Bella Solids before because they were on sale and I also really liked those. There's a salmon/orange color that is just beautiful and I need to get some more of.

I have a Michael Miller Cotton Couture color card that I got free from my guild, but Cotton Couture is a bit spendier than the others so I don't tend to buy it very often, even though I have the color card. It has a wonderful silky/drapy feel though. I like the feel of it, but I know some people that think it's too slippery for quilting and won't use it.

Currently I'm bemoaning the fact that I don't have a Kona color card and it's on my list to buy. I'm actually having a few friends bring theirs to my guild meeting tonight because I am trying to match a certain fabric.

I'm also excited to try Alissa Haight-Carlton's new line of Modern Solids from In the Beginning, they are crossweaves and look super cool. A friend of mine made some samples for her for fall Quilt Market so I got to examine them up close and they seemed pretty nice.

Clothworks also has really nice solids, they donated some to our guild meetup last summer. Great vivid colors and a good hand feel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
ActsofCraftiness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013 02:38:02 PM »

@MareMare - Thanks for the info! I've been trying to see who has good prices on color cards in case I decide to invest in them. Hancock's of Paducah has the Kona color card for $20. I know you like FQS, but it's $35 on their site! - This info is wrong. FQS has the Bella Solids Color Card for $35. It's only $19.50 for the Kona card.

The only solid I've purchased so far is a Bella Solids. I went with that line because I was trying to match fabric I have from Moda, and they give you info on which Bella Solids coordinate well. How much do you think matching all the fabric in weight, feel, or same manufacturer matters?

Also, do you typically buy online or in person?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013 03:56:46 PM by ActsofCraftiness » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013 03:32:42 PM »

I really only buy online when it's on sale. I can pretty much always run up the road to Fabric Depot, one of the biggest fabric stores in the country. And they have sales and 35% off coupons, and if I go in the other direction there is a Joann Superstore with lots of coupons Cheesy

Honestly, as long as it's all quilt store quality 100% cotton I'm not too concerned if the feel of the fabrics are slightly different. I've used the Cotton Couture with other brands and don't think it made a difference in the end quilt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ActsofCraftiness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013 04:00:09 PM »

I was under the impression that almost all of the fabric at Jo-Ann's is "sub-par" compared to the designer fabrics you can get at a quilting store or online.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013 05:08:39 PM »

Some of it is, but a ton of designers now have exclusive fabric lines there, like Patty Young, Denyse Schmidt, etc. You just have to feel it, you can tell if it's high quality enough for you to want to use. If it's $3 fabric, yeah it's probably not that good of a quality. I get irritated that they have that reputation,  but I guess that's how I feel about Walmart fabric lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ActsofCraftiness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013 06:59:41 PM »

I think I'll take a trip to Jo-Ann's tomorrow so I can molest all the fabric and see if I can tell the difference!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013 10:48:24 PM »

Yeah, check out the DS Denyse Schmidt for Joann line

Some of the Patty Young for Joann:
http://www.joann.com/patty-young-premium-quilt-fabric-vintage-poppies-teal/12806568.html

At my store they have lesser quality fabrics organized by color, then the designer fabrics all together by designer, solids together, and novelty together. So if I go to say the blues, those might be iffy so I would just check out the feel and drape of the fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sloth003

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013 11:31:49 AM »

Kona here. I buy almost exulsivelyonline from an ontario based shop.  Cheapest i can find and she will barter on shipping. Smiley

I have been playing around with some kaffe fasset shot cottons. They are soooooomsoft, but technically not a solid id guess.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
ActsofCraftiness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013 04:30:55 PM »

Thanks everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bacon and Sweet Potato Hash Recipe
How to Make a PBJ & Bacon Burger
3 Easy, Affordable Fall Dinner Ideas You Already Have in the Fridge
90 Second Simply Superb Grilled Burger Recipe
Cornbread Stuffing Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...