A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,164
Currently Running With Scissors:
363 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The cardigan with a whole family of sleeves.  (Read 703 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Antidigger
« on: December 10, 2013 03:28:47 PM »

This is what I've been doing most of the year: knitting.

My knitting takes a long time, average time for a jumper: 9 months. I think I'm getting a little better though, because I started this one in April and finished it in November, so that's 2 part months instead of 9 whole months. Since then I've worn it pretty much every week  Smiley. It is almost exactly what I wanted  Smiley.

However.

I take time to understand the knitting patterns I use. I read them through before I start, I try to puzzle out the new terms and make sure I've got all the bits I need, but my bugbear is sleeves  Sad. It really is. For this cardigan I knitted no less than 5 sleeves for it  Cry.

The first sleeve I knitted to my best understanding of the pattern: when I held it to my shoulder it touched the ground  Sad. My arms really aren't that long  Tongue. It didn't surprise me however, I'd had a similar problem with every jumper sleeve that I'd ever tried to knit to a pattern. I re-read the pattern  Huh. Carefully  Huh. I passed the pattern to other knitters: they couldn't see where I'd gone wrong  Huh. I read the pattern again and sighed really hard.

I counted my rows, looked at the measurements required, wished for a bit more clarity and did some arithmetic  Undecided. I un-picked that sleeve and started again with my majorly adjusted pattern. I knit another sleeve, which actually came to the right length and looked OK. (2 sleeves in total)

I reversed the pattern and did it again. A pair of sleeves, somewhat imperfect  Undecided, but at least they'd fit. (3 sleeves in total).

Then I moved on to the back of the jumper, OK, I adjusted that a bit as well, but that was easy: I just added a little to the length to get the fit that I wanted. When I got to the top of the back it took a little figuring out because it seemed to be uneven, but I worked it out  Smiley.

Revelation: my pattern writer was inconsistent! Although in one part of the pattern for the sleeve I was asked to do something at the beginning and end of each row, elsewhere the phrase each end of the row meant the beginning and end of the row as well, not simply each far end of the row. I'd had twice as many rows in my first sleeve as was intended.

So, I cheated Cheesy, I knitted the next sleeve out of the wool I was intending to use for the front in order to compare it with the previous sleeves I'd knitted: it looked sooooo much better  Grin. (4 sleeves in total)

Then I un-picked the second and third sleeves  Roll Eyes and set about knitting the 5th sleeve for my cardigan. I put them side by side to admire them. That was when I discovered I'd made a mistake in the cuff of one of them! I looked at it in horror  Shocked: to take it back to the cuff would mean a whole new sleeve again  Cry. (5 sleeves in total)

The muslims believe there should be a flaw in everything created by man, because to attempt perfection is to challenge God. Angry I decided I wasn't going to challenge God this time Wink, my flawed sleeve would stay.<BIG sigh of relief>

The rest came fairly smoothly  Cool, although I am insanely grateful to whoever first thought up safety lines for complex patterns  Smiley- that cable pattern has a 24 row repetition, many of which are absurdly similar, but not quite the same.

If I had to do it all again, apart from doing the sleeves right first time out, I'd knit it one size smaller. But I think I've worked out a fix for that. I shall sew a press stud in the place of the first button and move the button along so that the second button will become the first and there will be a wee bit more overlap at the top.

But I love it. Grin Grin Grin
Second attempt at Photo
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013 10:40:57 AM by Antidigger » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
stillatthetop
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013 05:23:22 PM »

Whew! You sound like me with knitting, but I don't think I am ready for anything this complicated, yet. You did wonderful. And I really like your choice of yarn. It is pretty in color, and looks comfey. I am glad you stuck with this project, and modified things as you went. Good JOB!

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
yoopidou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013 10:14:55 AM »

beautiful colors and shape.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mandodeb
Viva Handmade!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013 11:05:32 AM »

It's beautiful!  Your work is so intricate and lovely.  I am impressed that you would work those sleeves until they were right.  (I'll admit I'm so impatient that after I finish the body of a sweater I think about skipping the sleeves entirely and making it into a vest.)  I am working on a project that needs one more cuff and I'll be done.  You inspired me to just sit down and finish it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013 04:08:57 PM »

Thank you for your kind words.

Yes, I understand completely about hating the sleeves, but I've learned to start with the sleeves, whilst I'm still enthusiastic about the project. If I'd waited to the end to start on them, the jumper wouldn't be finished for at least another 9 months yet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013 08:49:44 AM »

I can't believe you had the patience to make those sleeves five times, kudos to you for sticking it out. the finished results look great thought, so well worth it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Blur Faces in Videos
How to Design a Magazine Front Cover in Photoshop
How to Make a Realistic Planet in Photoshop
How to Make a Bold Simple Website Template Page in Photoshop
How to Make a Custom Twitter Layout in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...