My younger brother brought me his childhood bear to repair when he came for Thanksgiving dinner this year. When I saw it, I looked at my brother and said, "Are you kidding me?".
Bo Bo was the first bear he got when he was born in Germany...that thing is over 50 years old and has seen better days! It was disgustingly filthy and in shreds! It was stuffed with who knows what...and made worse because my brother tried to wash it by hand...ugh!
I can't tell you how many times in my years that I remember sewing on an ear or a leg...even when I went off to college, I would come home and there would be my brother, asking me to fix Bo Bo...after he got married and I got married, I never expected to see that thing again...alas, 35 years later, he's back!!!
Here is what I mean:
Can you see why I told him that it was time to let Bo Bo go? There is a Bear Heaven, I am sure...last night, my brother called again to see how Bo Bo was doing...I told him that it was a lost cause and that I needed to throw him out...nope, he said he was going to come to my house and take him home as is...
Well, won't he be surprised when I give him this:
Yeah--I am a good big sister...and Bo Bo is now ready to face another 50 years...
What I did:
1. Took off what parts were left and unstuffed them.
2. Gently washed all parts and sewed all seams again
3. Embroidered a new face and replaced missing eye
4. Used body parts to make new ears
5. made new body from brown fleece
6. Stuffed with new stuffing
7. hand sewed legs, arms, ears and head to body
8. made a new shirt from one of my brother's old shirts
9. I am going to make some jeans as well as soon as I can get a pair of my brother's old ones
I hope my sister and mom can keep a secret until Christmas day....ha ha...thanks for looking!