A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 304,768
Currently Running With Scissors:
416 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Are pattern sizes really supposed to be 10 sizes bigger?  (Read 631 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

magnoliasouth
« on: December 08, 2013 07:27:44 PM »

We're doing a Simplicity pattern and if we match the measurements on the back of the envelope, my daughter's size is 10 times bigger than the standard size, at like Walmart.

I knew they were off a bit, but 10 sizes?! Seriously? We did the measurements according to how Simplicity explains them here (note it's a pdf download): http://www.simplicity.com/images/downloadablePDF/0159_FIT_GUIDE_English.pdf

How many sizes off do you find on yours? Are they bigger, or are they smaller? I'm just wanting to know to make sure we're not crazy. lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xdm
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013 10:19:29 AM »

I wear a 10 misses in ready to wear, in patterns it's usually a 14..... so yes, they could be very different and each company has it's own sizing so always check the measurements before buying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xdm aka pnh aka......... Kip. www.pnhsews.weebly.com
magnoliasouth
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013 11:32:21 AM »

Okay. I never would have imagined 10 sizes different. Wow.

It makes me kind of wish that they had them lettered instead of numbered, because it makes my daughter sound huge. lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juniper2625
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013 07:46:44 PM »

Yes, I agree - sizing is all over the place, and never, ever what you'd think it would be, but 10 sizes is waaay beyond even the idiosyncratic pattern company sizing.  I would definitely make a muslin first.

Because of the crappy sizing, and multi-size patterns, I always trace my patterns onto Swedish Tracing Paper (a lot like Pellon, and not at all like tracing paper except that you can see through it pretty well - I get mine on Amazon), or onto the cheapest non-iron-on Pellon-type stuff I can find.  You can get a decent muslin fit-test with that stuff and save yourself some headaches.  You can even sew it together (I use a very long basting stitch that my sewing machine has built in) and it's drapey enough for a fitting.  Then, you can make your adjustments on the "fit-muslin" and use it as your pattern.   

I also understand the whole "big size" thing.  I would never, ever tell my size 6 daughter that I usually make her a size 12 pattern, and occasionally a size 14.  She would be horrified.  I usually fit to a dressmaking form, so she is none the wiser.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nofuelleft
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013 07:33:48 AM »

Its called vanity sizing : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_sizing

But 10 sizes is way off .

Get her high bust measurement ,  just above the breasts,   and use that where it says bust .
According to the size you get than  adjust the pattern  to the rest of her measurements
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amazing_784
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013 04:49:20 PM »

I've also found that Simplicity patterns tend to build in extra ease.  I'm usually a size 14 in pattern sizes, but I made a couple Simplicity patterns in that size and they were huge on me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Makeup Mistakes To Avoid
Facial Toners You Can Make At Home
Need to Know: The Return of Penny Loafers, Cheap Eats, and Closed Circuit
8 Mistakes You Should Avoid When Applying Makeup
How To Prep Oily Skin For Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...