A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,476
Currently Running With Scissors:
677 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What does one DO with 20 mouse jawbones?  (Read 1632 times)
Tags for this thread: necklace , bones  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BrocadeLion
Makers Rule

Boo!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 08, 2013 04:57:00 PM »

I try not to search auction/sale sites for bones and skulls, but sometimes I can't help it. This is how I accidentally came across a listing for 20 mouse jaws.

After a little thought/experimentation, I landed on pre-wrapped wire coils as a mounting method. I glued each jaw carefully, with gel cyanoacrylate.

Once they were all glued in, including any loose teeth, I attached all of them to a short length of chain, as a fall. To give the fall some visual and literal weight, I added a faceted black beaded ball which I strung on an eye pin with a metal teardrop at the bottom. That whole assembly was then attached to a silver chain, which was decorated with deep red faceted oblong glass beads, which are effectively black under most lighting. I hung the fall off-center for a little added interest.

This is a piece that has to be worn with a certain type of top. In this case, a black knit with snap-front. The chain itself is simple enough to wear with a collared shirt; it's the centerpiece that needs a frame of its own. It never fails to draw a lot of commentary when I wear it, usually including variations on, "Really? REAL mousejaws??"

Of course! Only authentics for me!

A slightly wordier version of this post also appears on my website: http://www.shefightslikeagirl.com/2013/11/mouse-jawbone-necklace.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinefield
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013 05:04:23 PM »

I would have never thought about using mouse jaws but yours really turned out very nice. I probably would have drilled a hole in the larger end and added a jump ring to it. Just a little lighter looking version. Love the one you have made.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BrocadeLion
Makers Rule

Boo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013 05:08:42 PM »

That was my first thought, but the bone is extremely thin. I shattered a couple of them even trying with a sharp little jeweler's bit. Probably for the best, because this turns out to be a little more wearable, than had I managed to get rings through them. I even tried wire-wrapping the jaw upright myself, but had the same problem -- just too thin and fragile!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NowTrending
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013 05:21:56 PM »

This turned out beautiful. I always tried thinking of what to do with tiny jaws like that. very cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinefield
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013 05:27:51 PM »

Just another idea. how about coating them with a finish, like atleast three coats, of shellac, polyacrylic, one of the finishes that dries hard. would be nice if you could do more things with them...like a pair of earings to  go along with the necklace.  Really like how yours turned out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BrocadeLion
Makers Rule

Boo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013 05:48:20 PM »

Thanks! It's a little pokey to wear, but I think it's worth it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013 03:40:16 AM »

That's way cool! 
The only other thing I could really think of would be wire wrapping them, but I really love the way they look with the coils. 

Awesome necklace!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
BrocadeLion
Makers Rule

Boo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013 09:13:26 AM »

Wire-wrapping was the first thing I wanted to try. I thought a fine silver wire would be pretty and delicate, appropriate to the little bits. But I couldn't wrap the wire with any tension without it flaking the bone away.

The finished piece is heftier than what I had envisioned, but probably the only way it would have survived, really. The bigger coils are providing protection, as they are bumping against each other, rather than the bones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013 08:04:40 AM »

This is a really weird piece you know.  But I like it a lot, looks very cool on your neck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
BrocadeLion
Makers Rule

Boo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013 09:27:51 AM »

Likably weird, I'm good with that. Thanks! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Did Karolina Kurkova Pull Off This All-White Outfit?
Celeb Trend Alert: Rainbow Brite Hair
3 Celeb Approved Ways to Wear Overalls Right Now
6 Affordable Easter Looks for the Whole Family
Best Spring 2013 Pieces
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...