A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 315,691
Currently Running With Scissors:
379 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 51
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Glass Marble Magnets  (Read 138840 times)
Tags for this thread: marble_magnet , tutorial , flat_glass_marble  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Juliac
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2003 05:07:01 PM »

Yahoo!  So glad my crafster friend sent me this site!  I have 3 cute kids (lots of photos) and 3 short days left to figure out some heck-o-cool solstice gifts for gramma, etc.  On my way to Michael's and Target to gather supplies, but I seem to be confused about the magnets.  I can imagine everything else but those.  Do they come already in the right shape and size?  Where does one get them?

Thanks, gals and guys.  What a cool idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MeOwZa
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2003 05:07:36 PM »

These are great! I have some of the small clear marbles, and some of the irridescent larger ones...but haven't tried either yet. Yours is the first post of something other than clear. Can you see the images behind them when viewing in person? That's what I was worried about with the irridescent ones. I am inspired. Thanks for sharing - great tin too.

you can KIND OF see the image-- it works better if the image is really dark or very contrasting (as you can see with the star) i also used a heavier duty magent on the larger marbles
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MeOwZa
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2003 05:14:59 PM »

but I seem to be confused about the magnets.  I can imagine everything else but those.  Do they come already in the right shape and size?  Where does one get them?

i got a pack of 15 little circle magnets from ac moore for 99 cents. they are already the right size. in ac moore, the magnets are in the back with all the glue and crap (ask someone if you can't find them)

i'll post some pics of the magnet packs i bought later tonight

the marbles are in the floral section (just in case you couldn't find them) make sure they are flat on one side
THIS ROCKS   Logged
udandi

www.udandi.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2003 05:34:48 PM »

I use the 50% off coupon at michaels (that you only get every once in a while) to buy the bulk 3/4" dyna-mite button magnets.

I'm partial to the large glass pebbles too (which I get at Garden Ridge).

THIS ROCKS   Logged

---
short attention span projects at http://www.udandi.com
ohmystars
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2003 05:54:19 AM »

great idea, here's my take on them:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Eat Art
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2003 04:37:38 PM »

I made a little numbered set of them...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.dadahaus.com
Fun and Funky Jewelry, Crafting Tips, and more
http://www.indiecraftshows.com
Find indie craft shows in your area!
Ms Paige
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2003 09:29:06 PM »

I looked today @ Micheals for these marbles and I couldn't find any good ones. They only had the little kind, and they all had ugly bubbles in them! argh.

Where can you find the really big ones? cuz those interest me more than the little ones.

I suppose I should check back @ Michaels in a few days and see if they have re-stocked their marble bins or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
udandi

www.udandi.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2003 07:24:21 AM »

I haven't seen the big pebbles are Michaels in the last year and I'd say I make a trip to Micahels about every other week if not more to use my coupons (what can I say, I'm a sucker!)

I have no clue if these stores are near you but I've linked all the sites and you can use the store locator to check!  

I've gotten the big, clear one that I used in the picture posted on the previous page at Garden Ridge and I've also used the big, irridescent ones from Hobby Lobby.

I never paid attention to see if Joann or Franks Nursey & Crafts carry them
THIS ROCKS   Logged

---
short attention span projects at http://www.udandi.com
EastCoast

Organizer & Head Crafter @ Fresh Eggs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2003 02:16:43 PM »

Hello all....

I too have been making magnets and selling them on my website (as well as giving them away as xmas gifts.) Thanks for all the tips on where to buy more gems!

The glue that I use is both Loctite Handymans' and Crafter's All-Purpose Adhesive Sealant. [White tube with bold blue lettering.] I have been to several craft supply shops and seem to find totally different types of glue everytime that I go. But both of these seem to work well for me.

My only tip is to MAKE SURE to press the glass gem/marble firmly down on top of the image to get all of the air bubbles out. If not, it will create weird voids in the image.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StarFire
Maker of Things.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2003 01:21:38 AM »

I've done a *ton* of marble magnets (which I call "Bubble Magnets"...they look like bubbles to me!).  

Recently, I've found some large, clear pebbles at Dollar Tree stores for $1 a bag.  They have a very slight irredescence to them, but not enough to keep the image underneath from being seen.  I've also used Aileene's Glass & Bead glue and have had no problems with it.

I'll try to get a pic of my remaining magnets taken (most were Xmas gifts) and film developed to post here sometime.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can do personal swaps!  ^_^

Pinterest!  http://pinterest.com/dmlinc2179/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 51 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Luxury Jaw-Dropping Pool Proposals
Floating Jellyfish Skyscraper Design Concept
Amazing Polar Umbrella Skyscraper Design
An Amazing Slide Design Inside a Home
Japanese Artists Create Balloon Couture Dresses
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...
Flower Power!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...