A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
355 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 51
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Glass Marble Magnets  (Read 123698 times)
Tags for this thread: marble_magnet , tutorial , flat_glass_marble  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Anna D.
« Reply #230 on: April 11, 2005 06:01:54 PM »

Hi everyone,

Here are the magnets i made. I love the simpsons so i cut out some sipsons pictures and made magnets out of those.

I did have a few questions though. I used E6000 glue to paste the pictures as well. Someone suggested clear nailpolish for the pics but when i tried that, the nailpolish dried so quickly that it did not help to stick the pic. so I decided to use e6000 for pics as well as the magnets
However, this glue is not very easy to work with in that, it's not snooth and spreadable. Anyone can suggest a more spredable glue for the pics. E 6000 was fine for the magnets..dries very fast.

My pics are not too clear here..but hope you get an idea..any feedback, comments, suggestions!!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/jsheth142/moremags.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/jsheth142/Lotsmore.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/jsheth142/Littlemaggie.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/jsheth142/Picture009.jpg

Hey they are cute! Smiley

I used Mod Podge to stick the pictures on and seal them and then the E6000 to glue on the magnet.  When I have glued with the E6000 I use a toothpick to spread the glue. The Mod Podge is easier to use and clean up after....and weirdly enough...it smells kind of good. Grin I also bought the 1/2 inch size punch....I am so glad I did! What a difference!

Here are some more....the one with gold is with Japanese washi paper...this clown fish ( which is kind of upside down) and rose are from scrapbook paper, and the geisha is from... Grin The Geisha on a label from Geisha canned mushrooms....she kind of just worked with the washi paper so I punched out the label.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2011 04:35:47 AM by TheSapphireMoon - Reason: fix -med issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jubileebud

Yummie Doodles

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 14, 2005 12:51:42 PM »

You can coat the top with etching paint to give it a frosty look, but you have to have strong, bright colors on the flat side. Also, when my and my sis did these, we had accidently gotten the irridescent ones and found out after a couple of trial and errors that strong colors like orange, blue, and red work fine on them. We also painted directly on them (on the flat side) and glued them onto white paper once dry so that they'll show better. Smiley Hope I gave you some good tips and suggestions. Sorry no pics, new here and i don't know how to put up pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kirdy79

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 20, 2005 10:05:51 AM »

Hey,
I just have to make these magnets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But i need help...where on erath do you get the magnets from!! I think I can magae with the marbles and the glue but where do i buy magnets and the tacky pins from!!!! how much are they??
Pls tell me i'[am dying to make these magnets
Jas.ns

ordinary thumb tacks from an office supply store are cheap and work well. also magnets are much cheaper at the hardware store than they are at the craft store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

**Kristin
kirdy79

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 20, 2005 10:09:58 AM »

I did have a few questions though. I used E6000 glue to paste the pictures as well. Someone suggested clear nailpolish for the pics but when i tried that, the nailpolish dried so quickly that it did not help to stick the pic. so I decided to use e6000 for pics as well as the magnets
However, this glue is not very easy to work with in that, it's not snooth and spreadable. Anyone can suggest a more spredable glue for the pics. E 6000 was fine for the magnets..dries very fast.

i use e6000 every time. one very easy way to do this is to NOT cut your pictures out first. instead, just print them out into about 3 inch squares, then dab the glue directly from the tube onto the marble, and then press onto the picture, allowing the glue to spread out and cover the entire picture. when it is completely dry (about 1 hour give or take) use a small scissors to cut the marble off the paper--just cut around the edge of the marble as close as you can. then glue the magnet to the back and voila! you have a perfect magnet every time. (i use curved cuticle scissors to cut the marble off the paper--easy to move around the little marble!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

**Kristin
angelundrground
« Reply #234 on: April 20, 2005 11:54:34 PM »

Besides using a round paper punch to cut out pics has anyone tried fiskars circle cutter tool(y ou can make any size circle u want with it) or a exacto knife with a swivel head? I'm going to try both since I have the tools already but has anyone else here tried them?

Another thing I did was glue the pics onto the marbles and then take a pair of scissors and cut the excess picture part not covered by the marble off. I turned my scissors on angle to be able to get enough of the excess picture off so nothing was sticking out on the sides. Hope this makes sense.

Erin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crumpet13
« Reply #235 on: April 28, 2005 09:42:11 AM »

I'm so happy with the way these large marble magnets came out!

Here's a refresher for how to do these:

1.the marbles can be found in a floral supply section of Michaels, Target, etc.
2. cut out 1.5" circle images out of an old McCalls
3. glue the image to the marble with white glue that dries clear (Gem-Tac in this case)
4. glue the magnet onto the back with a strong glue (I like WeldBond because it's non-toxic/non-fumey)

Does Gem-tac SMell???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please Quote me whenever you PM me! (so I can see the last message I sent to you)!!! thanks

*I love personal swaps
Zi
« Reply #236 on: April 28, 2005 03:25:51 PM »

I love these. I am thinking of making some as a house warming gift of sorts.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenniem4
« Reply #237 on: May 09, 2005 11:28:31 AM »

Hi guys! I like to make my own magnets using a clear glass "stone" and a little design of my own created using waterproof ink and colored pencils. (and a magnet, of course!) they have always turned out really cute but i have a HUGE problem that i'm hoping you can help me with! here it is: these magnets FADE big time after a while. i noticed some i made for my sister last year on her frig were extremely faded from being in the sunlight. is there any fade proof ink or paper or setting spray or something i could use to combat this? PLEASE HELP! Smiley
Thanks so much in advance!!!!
jen
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jwilborn
« Reply #238 on: May 14, 2005 07:27:45 PM »

I am interested in making glass marble magnets.  Does anyone know where I could find BIG glass marbles (at least 2 inches in diameter) ?  If you do, please let me know.  Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
angelundrground
« Reply #239 on: May 24, 2005 03:38:02 AM »

I know that my Michaels sells them,on and off though. Seems like every other month. Check your local dollar stores too. A chain dollar store called Dollar King just opened here and they sell the clear and lots of other colors. The big and small flat marbles too.

Good Luck,
Erin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 51 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Watch, Pass or Rent Movie Review: The Ides of March
50/50 Film Mixes Comedy With Cancer
Cosplay Trivia: Quizzing Catwoman
Cosplay Fans at Comic-Con 2011
Social Documentary Film Production Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...