A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,205
Currently Running With Scissors:
379 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 51
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Glass Marble Magnets  (Read 128343 times)
Tags for this thread: marble_magnet , tutorial , flat_glass_marble  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

McJulie-O
« Reply #380 on: July 19, 2006 06:15:58 AM »

UGH!  Another failure.  Mine came out horrible.  I tried to use Beatles pics from a Readers Digest.  Maybe because they were black and white, but they didn't come out good at all.  I bought the glass marbles at WalMart.....they didn't seem clear enough.....bought some different ones at Michaels.....not clear enough.  I don't know what I did wrong but I have spent a fortune...and they look BAD!

Sorry to hear that...... I like the clear marbles at Hobby Lobby (the ones at Michaels and Walmart had some kind of metallic sheen to them that made them reflective- pretty for other projects but not clear enough for this kind of thing)

What kind of glue did you use? I've noticed that when I use laser copied images and inkjet images, that if I fiddle with them a lot after I've added the E-6000, that sometimes some of the pigments smear. That shouldn't be a problem with magazine images like what you used, though.

It might be that your images were too dark? Or too big for your marbles?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wanching
« Reply #381 on: July 30, 2006 01:57:07 AM »

wow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KimSecret
Paxil Princess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: July 30, 2006 01:55:40 PM »

These are awesome!  I actually recieved one as an extra gift in a card swap I was in a long time ago, but never got around to making any.  I WILL be making them now!
Thanks for all the inspiration guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~>Kimberly<~
cmcmc7
« Reply #383 on: August 03, 2006 04:47:25 AM »

Thanks McJulie-O!  My marbles came from WalMart and Walgreens and the scheen was a problem!  I will try getting them at Hobby Lobby - even though I promised myself not to try this mess again! lol
I used the 6000 glue also and on the pages from the magazine they didn't smear, but the ones I printed out did smear!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #384 on: August 03, 2006 08:44:33 AM »

I used the 6000 glue also and on the pages from the magazine they didn't smear, but the ones I printed out did smear!

This is how I minimized the smear factor: First, try to be sure that your printed images are good and dry, like maybe print them and let them sit overnight.

Line up images and magnets together in place (& glue images to the magnets) Let the glue set.

Now, line up the images/magnets and the glass pieces and put a glob/dab of glue down on top of each of the images (can do more than one but shouldn't probably do more than about 10 at a time- you don't want the solvent in the glue to have time to dissolve the pigment of your images) Working quickly, but carefully, squash the glass down on the glue, and try not to move it around a whole lot. Don't fiddle with them, in other words.

If your glass piece is a lot larger than your magnet, you'll want to glue the image to the glass piece first. I use a sheet of parchment paper (works as a disposable nonstick work surface) and lay out my images face up and the glass pieces flat side down so I can work quickly and efficiently. If I put a dab of glue too big it will just ooze out the side and I can peel it off later. You just want to avoid fiddling with the images too much once they have glue on them. I can turn out a hundred pretty fast this way (2 pkg of 50 magnets each)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TrashedClothing

You only wish you had a Yeti hat like me!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #385 on: August 03, 2006 05:36:13 PM »

Hi everyone. I don't know if the people in the New York area have found the marbles that they were looking for, but I live in Hoboken and if you can get yourself to an AC Moore, they are $2.97 for 3lbs! Great deal in my book. They have the smaller size and then some crazy jumbo sized ones. Also, they have about 25 different colors if you want something other than clear. Time to go back and make some more. I've even recruited my boyfriend. haha  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lunastitch
« Reply #386 on: August 04, 2006 02:58:05 PM »

i'm so gonna make some this weekend!

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.jumblebugs.com  - available now!
poe poe
« Reply #387 on: August 29, 2006 10:38:45 AM »

I don't know if there is a big lots around any of you, but I have a TON of those marbles. we use them for Magic counters (a card game). a big jar of them was only like two dollars. I intend to make good use of them soon, we have more than we need for magic, and I can't wait to make some of thos magnets. They all look so nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.
-Aldo Leoplod-
sarah11mousa
« Reply #388 on: August 30, 2006 09:54:03 AM »

wow, those are cute! I used fabric too, but they didn't turn out as great as yours.. Must get more cute fabric! Anyway, here's some of mine. The first set is made with fabric. I haven't attached the magnets though, ran out of them..

OMG, I adore the second set, how did you get them to look like that? (they look translucent!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
overcastweather.etsy.com
polkadotbug09
« Reply #389 on: September 23, 2006 02:25:32 PM »

My family made a ton of these for Christmas presents one year. pictures form catalogues or magizens work great. We got a ton of bead things from dollar tree and they worked fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 51 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jessica Simpson Shows Us How to Wear Red for the Holidays
How to Make a Tulle Skirt
Top 5 Holiday Designer Dresses You Can Rent
Save Vs. Spend: Holiday Edition
An Affordable, Complete Autumn Look
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...