A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 305,866
Currently Running With Scissors:
484 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 51
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Glass Marble Magnets  (Read 138816 times)
Tags for this thread: marble_magnet , tutorial , flat_glass_marble  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kikikuku
« Reply #320 on: December 23, 2005 11:44:58 AM »

I also used the cheapo round ProMAG magnets from Walmart. They work great.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
SprocketJones
« Reply #321 on: December 27, 2005 07:33:18 AM »

ProMag at Walmart - it was 10 magnets for 1.28 here in the Twin Cities...I found them at Michael's but it was 1.99 for 10.
They work well - with the weight of the marbles you need at least 2 marble magnets to hold up a standard photo... at least that's what I've found on my fridge.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The strangest secret in the world is that you become what you think about.  Earl Nightingale

sprocketjones.etsy.com
plucky1_08

Breath In. Breath Out. Move On.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: December 27, 2005 06:15:03 PM »

I have tried several magnets and found that the Walmart ones are the best and cheapest.  10 1/2 in for 1.28 and 50 3/4 in for 6.00. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Modus Operandi
Paint Hussie

handpainted and repurposed vintage items

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #323 on: December 28, 2005 03:40:34 PM »

They have a HUGE pack at Hobby Lobby of 50 for $6.00. The strength rating is 3 or 3.5, which is decent for the small magnets. The super strong ones I find work better for the large magnets, and tend to hold up better on a fridge or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shops! http://www.enamor.etsy.com

enamorweddingshttp://www.enamorweddings.etsy.com

Pinteresthttp
McJulie-O
« Reply #324 on: December 28, 2005 05:13:04 PM »

They have a HUGE pack at Hobby Lobby of 50 for $6.00. The strength rating is 3 or 3.5, which is decent for the small magnets. The super strong ones I find work better for the large magnets, and tend to hold up better on a fridge or something.

My Hobby Lobby has 50 for $7.99, but the magnets are peculiar in that they're so polar that they won't stick to the fridge on one side, only on the other side. They can be used for glass marble magnets, but only if you stick the glass marble on the right side. They also do not show a strength rating like the 50 magnet pack at Walmart does (which shows a strength level of 3 on a scale of 10).

I have a lead for a bulk provider of VERY strong magnets (minimum order of $200) but I'll see if it's worthwhile for a bunch of us to go in together maybe. These are the tiny very strong ones they use in electronics (and for jewelry pins).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bigeyes
« Reply #325 on: December 28, 2005 07:33:04 PM »

http://www.themagnetmall.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=24

THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
douglasa
« Reply #326 on: January 15, 2006 09:49:10 PM »

I made some today for my friends christmas gifts (a little late but I haven't seen them since I left school for winter break and god knows i couldn't accomplish anything during finals.)  They turned out well.  I had fun coming up with ideas for each set.  I have sushi, authors, the beatles, alcohols, spiderman and more.  Here are just a few where the pictures actually turned out okay:

If for some reason those don't work and you want to see the ones I made you can check here:
http://community.webshots.com/album/528789026KHhVUc

Ashley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
---Albert Einstein
milesapart714

i make things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: January 26, 2006 07:37:59 AM »

I HATE YOU GUYS.
now im so obsessed with making marble magnets!!
grrr...

haha but i love it. <3333
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smoon26
« Reply #328 on: January 26, 2006 08:36:29 AM »

hey all...just wanted to say...i got some great magnets for these.  I actually have hidden purse snaps.  they are thin but strong magnets.  they come in a plastic square, but you just cut them out.  they are much thinner, and worked really well when I tried them.

I got these magnets originally for my purses, but I messed up on one and put 2 (-) charged ones in a bag instead of a (-) and a (+).  they still worked (just not as strong), but it left me with two (+) magnets which I didn't want to put into purses.  SO I made a couple marble magnets.  If I do any more, I will definitely get these magnets again.  Heres a link to where I got them...online on ebay...a very trusted seller of mine...

http://cgi.ebay.com/14mm-Magnetic-purse-snaps-closures-Hidden-25-sets_W0QQitemZ7571218457QQcategoryZ53235QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

$28.00 for 25 sets, plus 5 shipping.  so thats $33.00 for basically 50 magnets.  These are 14mm, but they do come in other sizes, and other quantaties.  A little more maybe than magnets you can get at walmart, or a craft store, but the real selling point for me is that they are very thin--and still stronger than the ones I've gotten at craft stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KittieCat
« Reply #329 on: February 13, 2006 08:28:55 AM »

I love this project.  I just got done makiing some with pictures of computer/consol games my husband likes to play.  I am going to give them to him for V-day. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 51 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Authentic Barbecued Rib Recipes
How to Make BBQ Sauce and Coleslaw
Peppered Grilled Hamburger
Fourth of July Chicken Salad Recipe
How to Make Sweet Corn Succotash
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...
Flower Power!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...