A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 299,165
Currently Running With Scissors:
584 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Countdown to Christmas Advent Calendar  (Read 2268 times)
Tags for this thread: quilt , advent_calendar , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ActsofCraftiness
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: December 06, 2013 02:32:44 PM »

I just finished my first ever machine quilted project! I participated in a Quilt-Along on BetterOffThread - http://betteroffthread.com/2013/11/24/countdown-to-christmas-quilt-along-link-up-and-prizes/. I even won something!

I had a few issues with my pocket fabric being a little bunched up (I used inexpensive fabric - don't know if that was part of the problem), and that affected my ability to line everything up properly. I just did straight-line quilting, and my quilting lines are a little wonky because the pockets don't line up perfectly. Overall, I'm really happy with the end result, and my son also loves all the fun winter activities stuffed inside.

I have a few more quilted projects planned now. I'm hoping to make two quilted tree skirts (one for me and one for my mom). I would also like to make a tumbler quilt for my little girl that is due in March. Hopefully the piecing and quilting will go better on those!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

donniesgirl
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013 02:53:00 PM »

Very cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindyv321

That is sooo Craftastic!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013 02:54:40 PM »

Amazing!  I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Flared-trousers

The face she wore was not her own

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013 03:20:40 PM »

What a gorgeous advent calendar!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013 04:20:07 PM »

OH!  This is too much goodness to handle.  Quilting AND Advent Calendars, two things I love to look at... it is just wonderful.  Rocked it, pinned it.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Yet Another TM Patch Swap R. 3
  • Christmas Stocking Swap R. 10
  • October ATC (organizer)
  • November ATC (organizer)

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
yoopidou

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013 04:42:53 PM »

Lovely Advent calendar.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ActsofCraftiness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013 09:19:20 PM »

Thanks everyone!

Here is the original pattern, if anyone is interested: http://www.sewmamasew.com/2009/07/elizabeths-fabric-focus-christmas-in-july-advent-calendar/

I changed the pattern up a bit. I made 25 pockets (even though traditional advent calendars only have 24) because I liked the symmetry of it. I also didn't make my pockets off-center like the original pattern called for, and I changed the way the sashing was cut and attached. If I left the pockets off-center, I probably would have had straighter quilting lines though. Tongue
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013 09:22:19 AM by ActsofCraftiness » THIS ROCKS   Logged

stillatthetop
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013 11:56:15 PM »

Very pretty. So what types of little goodies fit into those pockets? Are they designed for little candies, or stickers, or removable tatoos or,....? And why only 24? I thought they all had the 25. I have never done an advent, so I guess I just never paid attention. Well, I take that back. I made advent boxes, hand cut little paper 1" ones collected in a basket with the numbers on them one year for my daughter. But I did 25, too. Ooops.  Roll Eyes It helps the little ones learn to count. And had the hardest time finding little gifts that would fit in them. I didn't want hers to be all candy, so I found itsy toys, too. She was past the "choking" age for small toys. Very nice project. I like that you can re-use this one. My boxes got destroyed that year  Roll Eyes

~T

Re-read the posts:
Yes. Fabric quality makes a big difference. Not that the cheaper stuff is bad. Especially if it is quality at a discount price. I didn't realize this until I started using the nicer stuff. I blamed myself for the hastles I was having, too.
SPRAY STARCH!!!! It turns a crudy fabric into something that is better workable. And iron, iron, iron. All the way through your project. You did a really great job. Even if you did have to fight things.

Thread count of fabric has to do with things, as well as the materials blended in. I prefer pure cotton for quilting. But many crafters I know prefer the poly blends. They do wash up nicer, but dull your sewing needles. Even if you use the Sew Ease oils that are recommended for your machine threads on them. If you are having trouble. Rethread the machine and check tension. Still a pain? New needle time  Grin Save the old one for a cruddy project that might just bust a needle. But fresh needles usually help. You can also use fine sandpaper to re-taper a point of the needle, if it gets a burr on it.

I worked side by side at a fabric shop with our mechanic there, and he taught me lots! I can time my own machine and make machine repairs, now. I own 5 different machines...all thread different, and have different personalities. I also did industrial machine embroidery. For many years. Can you tell that I love to sew?  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013 12:34:47 AM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
BriannaB03

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013 07:53:35 AM »

That is awesome! I would have never thought that the two(quilt and advent calendar) could be made into one quilt of awesomeness. I love the idea of the pockets.  It looks amazing!

Brianna
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest!

I'm finally learning to crochet and knit!
AmandaViolet
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013 10:01:02 AM »

Great job on your first quilting project! I love the idea of a re-usable advent calendar. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Cajun Sausage Sautee
How to Make BBQ Lamb Kebabs and Thai Pesto
How to Make Curry Chicken Salad
How to Make Chili Cinnamon Salmon with Mango Salsa Part 1/2
How to Make Parmesan Tuiles
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...