A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,111
Currently Running With Scissors:
528 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bead Soup Swap - Round 7?  (Read 707 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 06, 2013 06:38:45 AM »

Bead Soup Swap - Round 7

Hello folks. I'm thinking of organizing another round of Bead Soup Swap.  (Yikes! I can't believe it's been a year and a half since I did the last one.)  For those of you who haven't seen one before, the Bead Soup Swap is a way for you to pass on some quality beads that you own, but might not have a use for, to someone who can use them, and a way for you to get some new goodies for your stash at the same time.  It will also include 1 small-medium crafted item.

Here are some specifics from the last round, that I would be using again in this round...

~This swap is "nearly-seedless & acrylic-free".  This is because no one actually asks for seed beads or acrylic beads, but people always want to get rid of them.  You MUST be WILLING and ABLE to send your partner 1 cup of beads they will like, WITHOUT including plastic or seed beads.  It is unfair to dump cheap beads on someone else, and expect great stuff in return.

~This swap requires you to send your partner 1 cup of bead & 1 small/medium handcrafted item that appeals to their interests

~This round is open to international swappers

~This round you may choose to have either 1 or 2 partners.  (First time swappers are limited to 1 partner.)

Each participant would be required to send a minimum of 1 full cup of "average sized" (about 5-10mm) beads to their partner. Sending more beads is allowed, but only after checking with your partner, so no one accidentally feels slighted.  It is left to partners to decide the fairness/quantity on swapping other sized beads, like super tiny or giant over-sized ones, or including items like findings, charms and buttons, so you can work out a fair "trade" for everyone involved.

The "Crafting" time on this swap is generally shorter than other swaps.  Usually 10 days.  This is because you would only be crafting a small item, and packing up supplies.  Right now I'm thinking of having Sign-Ups December 13th to December 27th.  Send-Outs on January 6th.

Additionally, this swap is slightly different in its setup than most others.  After filling out your questionnaire, I will match givers up to receiversThis means that I will try to find a good home for the types of beads you HAVE, and I will try to find someone who has the kinds of beads YOU would like to use.  Often, this means you are not sending to and receiving from the same person.  Trust me, after running 5 rounds of this swap, it's best this way because everyone is more likely to end up with a package they love!    Cheesy

I must stress that this swap is NOT a way to dump bags of plastic pony beads on someone else, and receive Swarovski crystal and semi-precious stone in return.  Believe me, NO ONE signs up for these swaps asking for plastic/acrylic beads.  You must be willing to share nice beads with your partners, that they will enjoy, if you hope to get nice things in return. 

Here are links to some of the past rounds...

Bead Soup Swap
Bead Soup Swap - Round 2
Bead Soup Swap - Round 3
Bead Soup Swap - Round 4
Bead Soup Swap - Round 6

Thoughts?  Questions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on lists and forget to craft.
sheepBlue

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013 05:03:18 PM »

You know I'm in  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013 06:04:12 PM »

I might be able to go for this one.  And I have lots of glass lampwork beads that need a new home, if anyone likes those.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ratfinkz

Rataholic

Animal Mad!

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013 04:01:00 AM »

Yes yes yes yes yes! Having just taken up jewellery making I am kind of obsessed with beads! One question though, would I be able to buy beads to send as there are very few of my "nice" ones I would be happy to let go, but there is a wonderful bead shop near me I could get lots from so could get what they like!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love Sarah
XXX

Jack of most crafts master of none.

My craft blog. If you are swapping with me be warned this may contain spoilers
http://ratfinkzcrafts.blogspot.co.uk/
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013 07:42:41 AM »

Yes yes yes yes yes! Having just taken up jewellery making I am kind of obsessed with beads! One question though, would I be able to buy beads to send as there are very few of my "nice" ones I would be happy to let go, but there is a wonderful bead shop near me I could get lots from so could get what they like!

You are absolutely allowed to buy beads for your partner, provided you can afford to do so, and are okay with that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on lists and forget to craft.
sheepBlue

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013 02:03:14 PM »

I wish I had a decent dedicated bead store near me - all there is is Joanns and Michaels. I did, however, get a chance to pilfer my mom's massive bead stash and she sent me home with this...

Tons of beads, charms, chain, etc....but of course now that I'm across the country again, I keep thinking "ooh I should have grabbed that, or that!"

Can't wait to share some of these goodies with someone  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ratfinkz

Rataholic

Animal Mad!

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013 05:03:31 PM »

Don't get too jealous sheepskin. I have only recently started seriously making jewellery/beading and was SO excited to find this place online, we went there last weekend and it was amazing it seemed really magical. I spent a good half hour just downstairs as I did not have the energy to get up the stairs (I have ME) and took my beads to the till all excited and bursting with thoughts of the future....only to be told they are closing down in January! I was gutted to say the least but on the bright side, closing down sale! Also they do courses and are going to continue doing classes and even do some closer to me =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love Sarah
XXX

Jack of most crafts master of none.

My craft blog. If you are swapping with me be warned this may contain spoilers
http://ratfinkzcrafts.blogspot.co.uk/
anna.wahnsinn

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013 08:57:16 AM »

Oh, I'd love to join, too! I have some nice lampwork beads too, and some charms, and beads (well...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You cannot give me too much work; to accumulate work has almost become a passion with me: my study is so full of it now, that there is hardly an inch of room for any more.  I shall have to throw out a wing soon." Jerome K. Jerome

http://pinterest.com/annawahnsinn
underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Modern Peeps Family by Lana

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013 12:10:42 AM »

Sounds like fun!  I really, really need to destash a bit and this swap is such a fun way to get some inspiration with some new beads!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi! I'm looking for a spinner to transform my awesome fiber into yarn for me....have some fantastic jewelry and commercially purchased fiber for trade. my etsy
Live aloha
cmarion3

Monsters are the Best!

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013 05:34:17 AM »

I keep coming back to this thread. I don't really need beads, and then I paw through my stash for the perfect accent bead for an ATC or fabric journal page. So I am intrigued. Might be a way to get some interesting beads, and share some fun back.

So, sounds like a sparkly bash!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monster Swap Round 5
ATC's Always
Altered Puzzle Pieces, Round 8
Art Doll 3
OTST Swap
50 Projects in 2014
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Crayon and Water Color Combo Fish
How to Start Seeds Using Toilet Paper Rolls
How to Make Seed Balls for The Garden
How to Make a Craft Bendy Rainbow Picture
How to Make a Craft Bottle Cap Buddy Magnet
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...