A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,387
Currently Running With Scissors:
707 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitted Lavender and Rosemary sachets.  (Read 351 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Antidigger
« on: December 04, 2013 12:49:31 PM »

You know how, when you're a beginning knitter, people seem to delight in giving you their odd balls of wool, half a skein here, a ball & a half left over from a jumper there and pretty soon you end up with a drawer full of ball ends that there is very little you can do with.

Well, I started knitting a few of the smallest of them into random rectangles, to see if I could get enough out of them to make a purse (UK Purse= something you can carry a couple of credit cards and some loose change in). Well, some of my ball ends weren't big enough even to do that with! But they came closeish. They languished in my cupboard for a few months until I pulled them out the other day whilst tidying up.

Well, I decided that they were nice enough wool that I could make some scented bags with them for Christmas. Here are the first couple I've made. The delight about these 2 is that they are quite masculine colours, so I can give them to blokes if I want to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
stillatthetop
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013 01:37:46 PM »

Your British terms crack me up! Blokes. Rhymes with Jokes. It just sounds funny. Grin
That is an interesting re-use for excess projects. And yup, I would imagine that the ManFlesh drawer could use a fresh scent, or two. They could actually look cute with something pasted on and hanging on the tree. Like some holly greenery, or a small wooden Christmas item, or even just a candy cane pipe cleaner type thing? Woven in? Just ideas. My mind explodes. Very neat. Hey, add a large saftey pin, and you could pin the lavender to a pillow? That is very soothing for sleep. Glad you found a re-use for things.

In the future...just an idea...mix two balls of the yarns together, and criss-cross the knitting with stripes? Then you would get a whole project out of two "reject" balls? I am not a big knitter, but can do it, and it is not that hard to switch threads for alternate rows. For making stripes. You only cast the new color in every other row. Not stitching with both threads {yarns} at the same time, but just draw them up when you finish a row. For the next color. A little bait and switch  Grin

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
Trekky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013 02:32:16 PM »

Such a great idea for using up scraps of yarn.  Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
Antidigger
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013 01:13:54 AM »

Thank you Stillatthetop, I will think about stripes the next time I get out the tiny balls.

I can cable, I can even do a bit of simple lace knitting, but colourwork has been a bit frightening so far, but a little project is probably the way to get over that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Final Cut Pro 6: Two of the same Filters! Why?
Motion 3: Advanced Project Example
Motion 3: Optical Flow Retiming Demo
Motion 3: Learning the Interface
Final Cut Pro 6: C.O.P.S Face Blur Effect
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...