A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,131
Currently Running With Scissors:
410 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crocheted flower brooch for Christmas  (Read 509 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Antidigger
« on: December 04, 2013 12:33:50 PM »

My mother in law is coming for Christmas, so not only do we need to buy her a Christmas pressie she can use (her request), but also as we have stockings full of little bits & pieces, she must have something too: which is kind of hard when she says I don't want lots of pointless bits and pieces I'll only throw away.

Anyway, amongst other things, more or less practical, I've crocheted her a brooch. It's pretty much the only pattern I can crochet yet. It is supposed to have 3 layers of petals, but I gave up after 2.

I used a highly textured blue wool which I'd previously knitted a square for a blanket from, I'd decided that I was never going to knit with it again, but I thought I might try crochet and see if it was better. No. It wasn't. However I did use that ball up, so now I know, I won't buy it again, nor anything like it either. Also it was the perfect colour for my mother in law.

So. at the point of no more wool, I'd done 1 round of petals and it looked pretty pathetic. So I had a rummage through my stash and found the perfect colour to go with the blue: a very pale cream, but I only had a tiny amount in super chunky or a weird flat woven ribbon, which I liked, but I didn't think my mother in law would. Thinking outside the box, I split the super chunky, so I now had twice as much and of a more suitable weight to continue with. I crocheted one petal of the next layer, decided I really really liked the combination, but sadly I didn't have enough to finish all 6 petals. I relucantly took the flat yarn and started on the next petal, I wasn't very keen on that, but I persevered and made that round of petals out of alternating yarns. I hated it right up until the point where I'd finished all 6 petals. But once I'd looked at it, it began to grow on me considerably. I tried some green to represent leaves, because I was once again out of yarn, but that really looked dreadful and so I unpicked that pretty promptly.

Anyway, here is my mother in law's brooch. I hope you like and I hope she will as well.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013 07:27:06 AM »

I like it.  And I'm digging the blue-cream color combo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scholars and artists...differ most importantly in the way their knowledge is come by.  Scholars get theirs with conscientious thoroughness along projected lines of logic; poets...stick to nothing deliberately, but let what will stick to them like burrs where they walk in the fields.
  -Robert Frost
Antidigger
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013 04:05:43 PM »

And I'm digging the blue-cream color combo.

it's great isn't it, and even better, I know she's got a cardigan that colour which she wears alot. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
JessKelly
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013 03:09:07 PM »

It's lovely! Very nicely made and the colours work really well together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jackie Collins Celebrates the Release of Her 30th Book!
James Joyce Changed My Life
Head Of CPI Explains Why He Gave Bylines To ABC Producers
Laura Bates on How Sexism Is Still an Everyday Problem
Pulitzer Prizes Awarded To The Guardian, The Washington Post
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...