A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crocheted flower brooch for Christmas  (Read 506 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Antidigger
« on: December 04, 2013 12:33:50 PM »

My mother in law is coming for Christmas, so not only do we need to buy her a Christmas pressie she can use (her request), but also as we have stockings full of little bits & pieces, she must have something too: which is kind of hard when she says I don't want lots of pointless bits and pieces I'll only throw away.

Anyway, amongst other things, more or less practical, I've crocheted her a brooch. It's pretty much the only pattern I can crochet yet. It is supposed to have 3 layers of petals, but I gave up after 2.

I used a highly textured blue wool which I'd previously knitted a square for a blanket from, I'd decided that I was never going to knit with it again, but I thought I might try crochet and see if it was better. No. It wasn't. However I did use that ball up, so now I know, I won't buy it again, nor anything like it either. Also it was the perfect colour for my mother in law.

So. at the point of no more wool, I'd done 1 round of petals and it looked pretty pathetic. So I had a rummage through my stash and found the perfect colour to go with the blue: a very pale cream, but I only had a tiny amount in super chunky or a weird flat woven ribbon, which I liked, but I didn't think my mother in law would. Thinking outside the box, I split the super chunky, so I now had twice as much and of a more suitable weight to continue with. I crocheted one petal of the next layer, decided I really really liked the combination, but sadly I didn't have enough to finish all 6 petals. I relucantly took the flat yarn and started on the next petal, I wasn't very keen on that, but I persevered and made that round of petals out of alternating yarns. I hated it right up until the point where I'd finished all 6 petals. But once I'd looked at it, it began to grow on me considerably. I tried some green to represent leaves, because I was once again out of yarn, but that really looked dreadful and so I unpicked that pretty promptly.

Anyway, here is my mother in law's brooch. I hope you like and I hope she will as well.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013 07:27:06 AM »

I like it.  And I'm digging the blue-cream color combo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scholars and artists...differ most importantly in the way their knowledge is come by.  Scholars get theirs with conscientious thoroughness along projected lines of logic; poets...stick to nothing deliberately, but let what will stick to them like burrs where they walk in the fields.
  -Robert Frost
Antidigger
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013 04:05:43 PM »

And I'm digging the blue-cream color combo.

it's great isn't it, and even better, I know she's got a cardigan that colour which she wears alot. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
JessKelly
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013 03:09:07 PM »

It's lovely! Very nicely made and the colours work really well together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Target Adds Luxury Skincare Products
DIY Face Peel at Home
How to Avoid Common Beauty Blunders
Skincare Tips for Anti-Aging
How to Match Eye Shadow to Eye Color: Blue Eyes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...