A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 298,054
Currently Running With Scissors:
749 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my Pug's Barbie Sweater **now with my other pug's Ken sweater!!**  (Read 16306 times)
Tags for this thread: pet_bed , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bubba*tink

there's nuffin loik a warm cable-knit necklace

View Profile WWW
« on: July 10, 2005 03:35:46 PM »

As some of you may know, Pugs don't do very well in extreme weather...so of course I had to make my girl Ravenherst a sweater!  I bought a girl's barbie sweater from ebay and reconstructed it for a wee sweet babe!  When I got another pug, a black male, I made him a Ken sweater, but it was too small for him!  buaaaa!!  Don't worry, I made him another sweater...no cold pugs in my house!  The picture below is of Ravenherst's first day in the snow! At least her first day in the snow with us...She was five months old when we got her from pug rescue, and now she's two and a half.

semi tutorial:
Well, i measured around her neck, her chest and her waist, and then took the measurement from where her neck meets her head down to the base of her tail, and determined that to be the length of the sweater.  I then drew out half of each dimention (except for the length...) and made a pattern.  (small at the neck, wider at the chest and narrower at the waist).  I cut two out of this pattern but made one shorter (for her underside).  I actually used the neck of the original sweater for Herst's neck, it saved some hemming and it looks super cute!
   I did alot of this just by sight, no real measurements...When I sewed both sides together and hemmed the ends, I then cut slits on the underside of the sweater, a little under 2 inches long (because the sweater stretches out when you sew the sleeves on, and if you make the slit too big then the sleeves will look enormous).  I made sleeves out of the cuffs of the original barbie sweater and made them about two or 2 1/2 inches long.  then i sewed them on, and voila, a loverly wee dog sweater!!

for more info on rescue pugs in the state of Ohio, go to: www.ohiopugrescue.com

And here is my other baby poopseh, Cosmic Gorak (Cosmo for short).  He's also from Pug Rescue, saved along with about 22 other pugs from a puppy mill.  As you can see, the ken sweater is kinda small...i was too lazy to make it bigger, so I just made him a new one!  It has an ultrasuede red dot on it, so it's super soft to pet him in that general area.  I don't think he liked to long sleeves very much either (the barbie sweater's sleeves are kinda like the ones on the blue sweater, just a little longer...) so on the blue one I made them much shorter.  I also bought them boots, because we noticed that they would alternately lift legs up so as to keep them from freezing in the snow!

For the Ken applique, I went online and looked for the Ken logo, copied and pasted it into Photoshop and made it to the size I wanted, and printed it and cut it out.  Then I placed the paper cut-out on some felt, outlined it and cut it out of felt.  Then with that piece of felt i placed it over another piece of contrasting felt and cut out a halo for it.  And voila!  Applique fini!

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010 03:47:51 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can tell you, Fall is composed of

1 part dead fish smell
1 part wet leaves
1 part arctic chilled air (not winter chilled variety)
2 parts crunchy walking
a pinch very cold rain
some apples you picked yourself
a few very still moments
a good deal of inner reflection
irid3sc3nt
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I <3 Halloween

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005 05:37:45 PM »

Ohhh!  She looks adorable!  I'm so glad you decided to adopt her from a rescue group rather than from a breeder.  She must get all the looks from the male dogs!  teehee!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Pinterest
Current swaps: Vintage Halloween 2014, OTT October Holidays 6, Chunky Houses Halloween 5, Fall/Character Ninni Swap,
I am interested in Halloween Rinchies!
jezebel7383
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005 05:40:03 PM »

Awww, she's so cute! Cheesy Would you mind sharing how you made the shirt work? My pugs would appreciate it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bubba*tink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005 07:44:22 PM »

thanks guys!!  I love making sweaters for my pups!

There's no other place we would adopt our babies, irid.  There are so many dogs in need of loving homes and we're so glad to have helped two.  I only wish we could help more, but we recently pug-sitted for three weeks are were ready to shoot ourselves!  They had such a blast wreaking havoc on our house and taking over the bed!  Nah, our houseguest was a super sweet boy, just a little overwhelming.

I'd love to see a photo of yours, jezebel!  Are yours rescues, too?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005 07:45:54 PM by bubba*tink » THIS ROCKS   Logged

1 part dead fish smell
1 part wet leaves
2 parts crunchy walking
a pinch very cold rain
a few very still moments
jezebel7383
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005 08:19:05 PM »

Thanks for the tute! Mine are both the "rejects" of the breeder they came from. So I guess they are sort of rescued. If I ever get another I am definitely contacting rescues.
 Here's my husband holding my stinkers, Jezebel on the left and Worf on the right. Worf is much bigger now; but I like this pic because they look like they are arguing. I have had a nightmare of a time dealing with their food allergies, but I think we are finally seeing progress.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010 08:26:26 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bubba*tink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005 08:57:01 PM »

ohhhh maiiiiiii gorrrshhh yer pugs are so frikken cuuuuuute!!!!  aren't the black ones just the craziest ones??  i thought ravenherst was crazy until Coz came along!!!  your babes are definately adorable, i'm sure they take over the bed at night.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1 part dead fish smell
1 part wet leaves
2 parts crunchy walking
a pinch very cold rain
a few very still moments
jezebel7383
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2005 09:02:17 PM »

Aww, they thank you! I love all things pug.
Here's Jezebel wearing her fave sweater and hogging the couch. I stayed home sick that day and we had fun. They do love to take up all of whatever you are trying to sit on.
I think I sort of hijacked your thread..sorry Roll Eyes
I can talk about pugs all day. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010 10:59:09 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sanchia

.s.a.n.c.h.i.a.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005 02:13:07 AM »

Thats gorgeous!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bubba*tink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005 04:22:46 AM »

thanks sanchia!

and jezebel, you can post as many pics of yer wee ones as you like!  it's funny how obsessed pug owners are.  It's like a cult.  Do any of their tongues stick out constantly? ravenherst's usually does, just not in the pictures above!
   by the way, excellent couch!  did you make the cover for it?

here's a cute little thingo i did in photoshop...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010 08:28:54 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

1 part dead fish smell
1 part wet leaves
2 parts crunchy walking
a pinch very cold rain
a few very still moments
Pink Hula

Shala for a week

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005 04:23:56 AM »

awww how cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shala shala shala
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Star Style Crush: Freida Pinto
Everything You Need to Look Chic During Music Festival Season
#MyModamobStyle: Featured Reader @NYTrendyMoms
Wear Leather This Spring For Less
Featured Blogger: Olivia Lopez of Lustt For Life
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...