A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: It's time to vote for your favorite swapped project! Smiley  Vote now through Sunday, August 30th!
Total Members: 311,389
Currently Running With Scissors:
749 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my Pug's Barbie Sweater **now with my other pug's Ken sweater!!**  (Read 18654 times)
Tags for this thread: pet_bed , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bubba*tink

there's nuffin loik a warm cable-knit necklace

View Profile WWW
« on: July 10, 2005 03:35:46 PM »

As some of you may know, Pugs don't do very well in extreme weather...so of course I had to make my girl Ravenherst a sweater!  I bought a girl's barbie sweater from ebay and reconstructed it for a wee sweet babe!  When I got another pug, a black male, I made him a Ken sweater, but it was too small for him!  buaaaa!!  Don't worry, I made him another sweater...no cold pugs in my house!  The picture below is of Ravenherst's first day in the snow! At least her first day in the snow with us...She was five months old when we got her from pug rescue, and now she's two and a half.

semi tutorial:
Well, i measured around her neck, her chest and her waist, and then took the measurement from where her neck meets her head down to the base of her tail, and determined that to be the length of the sweater.  I then drew out half of each dimention (except for the length...) and made a pattern.  (small at the neck, wider at the chest and narrower at the waist).  I cut two out of this pattern but made one shorter (for her underside).  I actually used the neck of the original sweater for Herst's neck, it saved some hemming and it looks super cute!
   I did alot of this just by sight, no real measurements...When I sewed both sides together and hemmed the ends, I then cut slits on the underside of the sweater, a little under 2 inches long (because the sweater stretches out when you sew the sleeves on, and if you make the slit too big then the sleeves will look enormous).  I made sleeves out of the cuffs of the original barbie sweater and made them about two or 2 1/2 inches long.  then i sewed them on, and voila, a loverly wee dog sweater!!

for more info on rescue pugs in the state of Ohio, go to: www.ohiopugrescue.com

And here is my other baby poopseh, Cosmic Gorak (Cosmo for short).  He's also from Pug Rescue, saved along with about 22 other pugs from a puppy mill.  As you can see, the ken sweater is kinda small...i was too lazy to make it bigger, so I just made him a new one!  It has an ultrasuede red dot on it, so it's super soft to pet him in that general area.  I don't think he liked to long sleeves very much either (the barbie sweater's sleeves are kinda like the ones on the blue sweater, just a little longer...) so on the blue one I made them much shorter.  I also bought them boots, because we noticed that they would alternately lift legs up so as to keep them from freezing in the snow!

For the Ken applique, I went online and looked for the Ken logo, copied and pasted it into Photoshop and made it to the size I wanted, and printed it and cut it out.  Then I placed the paper cut-out on some felt, outlined it and cut it out of felt.  Then with that piece of felt i placed it over another piece of contrasting felt and cut out a halo for it.  And voila!  Applique fini!

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010 03:47:51 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can tell you, Fall is composed of

1 part dead fish smell
1 part wet leaves
1 part arctic chilled air (not winter chilled variety)
2 parts crunchy walking
a pinch very cold rain
some apples you picked yourself
a few very still moments
a good deal of inner reflection
irid3sc3nt
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I <3 Halloween

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005 05:37:45 PM »

Ohhh!  She looks adorable!  I'm so glad you decided to adopt her from a rescue group rather than from a breeder.  She must get all the looks from the male dogs!  teehee!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Pinterest
Please send packages with postage stamps when you can!
I am interested in Halloween Rinchies (round inchies) to make bottle cap magnets.
jezebel7383
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005 05:40:03 PM »

Awww, she's so cute! Cheesy Would you mind sharing how you made the shirt work? My pugs would appreciate it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bubba*tink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005 07:44:22 PM »

thanks guys!!  I love making sweaters for my pups!

There's no other place we would adopt our babies, irid.  There are so many dogs in need of loving homes and we're so glad to have helped two.  I only wish we could help more, but we recently pug-sitted for three weeks are were ready to shoot ourselves!  They had such a blast wreaking havoc on our house and taking over the bed!  Nah, our houseguest was a super sweet boy, just a little overwhelming.

I'd love to see a photo of yours, jezebel!  Are yours rescues, too?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005 07:45:54 PM by bubba*tink » THIS ROCKS   Logged

1 part dead fish smell
1 part wet leaves
2 parts crunchy walking
a pinch very cold rain
a few very still moments
jezebel7383
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005 08:19:05 PM »

Thanks for the tute! Mine are both the "rejects" of the breeder they came from. So I guess they are sort of rescued. If I ever get another I am definitely contacting rescues.
 Here's my husband holding my stinkers, Jezebel on the left and Worf on the right. Worf is much bigger now; but I like this pic because they look like they are arguing. I have had a nightmare of a time dealing with their food allergies, but I think we are finally seeing progress.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010 08:26:26 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bubba*tink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005 08:57:01 PM »

ohhhh maiiiiiii gorrrshhh yer pugs are so frikken cuuuuuute!!!!  aren't the black ones just the craziest ones??  i thought ravenherst was crazy until Coz came along!!!  your babes are definately adorable, i'm sure they take over the bed at night.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1 part dead fish smell
1 part wet leaves
2 parts crunchy walking
a pinch very cold rain
a few very still moments
jezebel7383
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2005 09:02:17 PM »

Aww, they thank you! I love all things pug.
Here's Jezebel wearing her fave sweater and hogging the couch. I stayed home sick that day and we had fun. They do love to take up all of whatever you are trying to sit on.
I think I sort of hijacked your thread..sorry Roll Eyes
I can talk about pugs all day. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010 10:59:09 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sanchia

.s.a.n.c.h.i.a.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005 02:13:07 AM »

Thats gorgeous!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bubba*tink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005 04:22:46 AM »

thanks sanchia!

and jezebel, you can post as many pics of yer wee ones as you like!  it's funny how obsessed pug owners are.  It's like a cult.  Do any of their tongues stick out constantly? ravenherst's usually does, just not in the pictures above!
   by the way, excellent couch!  did you make the cover for it?

here's a cute little thingo i did in photoshop...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010 08:28:54 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

1 part dead fish smell
1 part wet leaves
2 parts crunchy walking
a pinch very cold rain
a few very still moments
Pink Hula

Shala for a week

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005 04:23:56 AM »

awww how cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shala shala shala
jezebel7383
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005 06:59:08 PM »

I wish that was my couch. It's actaully just a bed spread my mom gave me for Christmas. Pugs and people like to snuggle in it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

emcmillin
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005 07:12:22 AM »

Eep! Yay! Now your puppy won't be cold. The Barbie idea made me laugh at first, but it is very cute indeed. ^_~
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel7383
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2005 04:37:39 PM »

I forgot to ask this earlier- what size sweater did you start out with?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bubba*tink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2005 07:28:29 PM »

probably about a girl's size small...I can fit into a girl's medium, but this was definately too small.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1 part dead fish smell
1 part wet leaves
2 parts crunchy walking
a pinch very cold rain
a few very still moments
spurtiic
Jennorific

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2005 09:35:55 AM »

ha you guys crack me up. i don't have a pug, but i'm wishing i did so i can relate to your stories.
i esp like the flower field pugs--very nice. 
 Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
jezebel7383
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2005 04:05:58 PM »

Here's a picture of me trying to get Worf to smell a flower. As you can see by his expression, he wasn't too impressed.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010 08:30:40 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

joesherryw
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2005 08:14:37 PM »

Your pug and sweater are too cute. I had never thought of reconstructing clothes for dogs.  Smiley I'm going to have to do that for my dogs. Or maybe my sister and brother in law's pug Sammy who stars in every Christams card. Is there any way when you have time you could post your pugs measurements? That way Sammy could have a cute little sweater too. Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fancyjulia
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2005 06:01:40 PM »

Ever since I saw this I keep telling myself I need to get myself to the thrift store to get my Lola a Barbie sweater! She's only a puppy though and I'm waiting for her to grow bigger so I don't have to keep making stuff to fit her fat ass. Yours is so cute and I just love the sweater on her. They know they're princesses! Besides, since it's summer, I don't think she'll be needin one just yet!

jezebel7383 That picture is hilarious. He looks like a mix between annoyed and worried.

And just for vanity's (lola's) sake, here's a picture of her

THIS ROCKS   Logged
celestialxxdreams
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2005 06:04:21 PM »

aawww.. I wish I had small dogs that I could make clothes for...

I have two golden retrievers as of now... but we're getting a PUPPYYYYYYYY 2 weeks from tomorrow [insert peeing of panties here]

the barbie sweater is aa-mazing.

<33
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and i act like a child, and i'm immature,
and i'm filled with doubt, and i'm insecure.
sometimes it creeps up on me,
and before i know it i'm lost at sea.
but no matter how far i row,
i always find my way back home.
but i don't know what i've been waiting for...
jezebel7383
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2005 11:27:43 PM »

Aww, Lola is so cute! Love her lots while she's a puppy; they grow so fast! How old is she?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fancyjulia
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2005 02:04:08 PM »

She's about 8 months now, probably 7 months in that picture. She has been growing fast, and now her adult teeth are coming in and she's a big girl!

I'm starting to see that the pugs are a sort of cult and addiction! We're already planning on getting her a little friend a few years in the future. As soon as you meet another pug owner its like a secret society!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nekopug
Embracing all that is cute and cozy

Orion would like to help Santa with the cookies.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2005 12:39:45 AM »

Thanks for sharing your pug craft and pug tales.  I too am a pug addict, so can totally relate.  Here's me and my gang:

We refer to them as the Puggy Terror Squad.  Sorry to be off topic, but they're pugs, they steal the show...and the blankets.  

I love Orion's face at the top!  The others are going clockwise are SETI, Roswell, Joy and Jin Dui.   Grin
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010 08:28:45 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.
jezebel7383
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2005 01:04:19 AM »

Oh my gosh- I love your pugs!! How awesome to have that many. Are they all siblings? Where do they all sleep?  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nekopug
Embracing all that is cute and cozy

Orion would like to help Santa with the cookies.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2005 01:13:13 AM »

We have mom, dad and the kids.  We have since added 2 from other litters, Dozer and Kaijuu.  Roswell is now fixed because we can't keep anymore and have difficulty parting with pugs.  We are SO not breeders.  The gang all sleeps in bed with us, hence the blanket stealing.  But it's okay because they keep you pretty warm.  I know, we're afflicted, but as it's been said they're addicting.  Love this forum and the pug crafts. Let's keep 'em coming!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.
fancyjulia
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2005 11:36:32 AM »

NEKOPUG - those puggies are adorable! I love Orion's little tongue sticking out and the little tilting head at the bottom! SO CUTE.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bubba*tink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2005 05:32:39 PM »

I've been so busy lately that I've ignored craftster and missed all the pictures...AND I LOVE ALL YOUR PUGS!!!!  Oh they're all so cute, nekopug, jezebel, and fancyjulia.....such thweet widdle bebbis...

joesherryw, my girl pug's measurements are 18" at her upper chest and her waist by her hind legs is 16", and the length from her neck to the base of her tail is about 12".  She's considered to be a small pug.

My boy pug's measurements are 21" at the chest, 18" around the waist and 15" long.  They're both pretty thin and trim pugs, so if your sister's pug is trim too, these measurements should work fine!  Most pugs are more rotund so you could easily just add a couple o inches here and there, but keep the length anywhere from 12-14 inches.  Pugs usually aren't any longer than that. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005 05:40:35 PM by bubba*tink » THIS ROCKS   Logged

1 part dead fish smell
1 part wet leaves
2 parts crunchy walking
a pinch very cold rain
a few very still moments
joesherryw
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2005 11:53:30 PM »

Thank you so much for the measurements. I haven't had time to check in with Craftster in a while, I'm so glad I checked though. Now I can hopefully make one for Sammy for Christmas. Thanks again. Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

irid3sc3nt
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I <3 Halloween

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2005 08:09:16 AM »

So very cute.  Now your pugs match!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Pinterest
Please send packages with postage stamps when you can!
I am interested in Halloween Rinchies (round inchies) to make bottle cap magnets.
artstar
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2005 07:05:58 PM »

i made a lil jacket for my girlfriends pug out of an old tube top.

sorry the pic is blurry
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010 08:29:13 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

here's a toast to all those nurses and doctors
who daily provide women with a choice
who stand down a threat the size of oklahoma city
just to listen to a young woman's voice
Lyla
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2005 12:23:10 AM »

those sweaters are better looking than the sweaters i see for dogs in the stores. gorgeous!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bubba*tink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2005 05:44:37 AM »

good gobstopper, artstar, that's friggen adorable!!!

and thanks, Lyla!  I must say that I felt the same way about most affordable store-bought sweaters.  And most of them don't really fit pugs right, anyway.  I bought Ravenherst a couple of costumes on ebay based on her back length, but they were way too tight in her chest.  And it way more fun to have fittings as I make the sweaters!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1 part dead fish smell
1 part wet leaves
2 parts crunchy walking
a pinch very cold rain
a few very still moments
Autywon

and we'd be like oooh we're in a movie.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2005 08:17:14 AM »

awww they are all so cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

APPLY SOME PRESSUER.
udhillb
I live a knitting life, everything else is secondary. "Want to go out for a drink?" "Nope, sorry, I have a project at home that I'm close to finishing."

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2006 07:07:13 AM »

I love those pug sweaters and the pugs themselves!

I can't wait to get mine! I just need to graduate college first so my little baby doesnt have to live in college mayhem!

So so so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anatomyofaskirt
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2006 01:28:39 PM »

pugs are so cute, and those sweaters are so great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mimi Kitty

I just have to make stuff!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2006 09:28:00 AM »

I think your dog sweaters are precious!  I'm sure your doggies love to wear them in the snow!

I need to learn how to sew on the machine so I can make them too!  Keep up the good work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have faith in your dreams, and someday, your rainbow will come smiling through. -Cinderella

I'd love to do a personal swap with someone not from the USA in a My Country Doesn't Have that Swap!!
Lady_In_Red
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2006 06:11:12 AM »

awww it makes me want a pug even more
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." -John Lennon
mandi
Knit-Addict

Knit-Addict

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2006 07:29:48 AM »

Aw those are great!  I may adapt that idea for xmas gifts for my future-mother-in-law's chihuahua. 

I <33333 Pugs too... your babies are beautiful!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ihateranch
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2006 12:40:59 PM »

thats so cute, and good for you adopting rescue dogs! It's nice to see they are in a wonderful home and spoiled.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2006 09:30:12 PM »

*applauds the rescuers*

I have a pug, too. Pookie has had 5 owners, and was left out in the middle of a NC summer because they wouldn't take the damn time to TRY to house train her. I got her and she had eye trouble, and is now partly blind in one eye. She also was badly OCD. Any time she was upset or disturbed, she's chase her tail, catch it, and bite. She bled a lot in my house from that Sad Oh, and the diapers she tore into to eat the poo, and the feminine....well, nevermind.

Now she barely tailchases, and has settled down. Took me 2 years, and a nasty bite (Don't grab a dog who's gone bonkers...OW!) And she hasn't eaten anything foul in a long time (and we have cats...I'd notice the box!)

Part of the reason pugs don't handle extremes is because of the short nose. They can't efficently cool or warm the air they breathe, which raises/lowers the body temp. Pookie loves everything but the rain. When it rains, I'm gauranteed a nice stinky steaming pile...

Still love her though. I won't throw her out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2006 09:31:26 PM »

And I don't think I ever commented on the project! *smacks forehead*

While I agree with Jay Leno about dog clothes, those are cute! Pookie would kill me though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
gerrijo

I heart bunnies

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2006 10:33:12 AM »

Thank you, thank you, thank you for giving me more reasons to talk my hubbie into getting a pug, SOOOOOO STINKIN CUTE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Braid Your Hair
How to Backcomb Hair
How to Do a Beehive Hairstyle
How to French Braid Pigtails
How to Curl Black Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...