A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
344 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lye heavy soap! What should I do??  (Read 566 times)
Tags for this thread: hpcp , lye_heavy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Nesse
« on: December 04, 2013 08:31:58 AM »

Help! My HPCP soap is lye heavy!!!

I cooked it on low for over 3 hours and it still zaps!

I used this recipe from mommypotomous
http://www.mommypotamus.com/how-to-make-pure-coconut-oil-soap-for-cleansing-and-laundry/

33 oz coconut oil, 76 degree*
4.83 ounces lye (NaOH)**
12.54 oz water
.5 1 ounce essential oils (optional)

I've made this recipe a bunch I times, but this time it volcanoed out of the crock within the first 5 minutes. So I *think* I might have lost too much oil (the concoction separated on the counter into a puddle of liquid and a hardened soap layer on top)

I tried adding more coconut oil to the mix. What would you do? Is it doomed for laundry soap?

I want to make wool wash bars, would adding a bunch of lanolin counteract the lye?
(anyone have a HP recipe with 30% or more lanolin?)

Thanks everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013 09:28:02 AM »

Oh wow that stinks. Hmm, after running it through a lye calculator it shows that amount of lye is actually way too little for that recipe. Personally I'm not a fan of the tongue test, but 3 hours in the crockpot isn't really much cooking. Those things don't put out very much heat. I would probably slap it on the stove and cook and stir, myself.

Ok, I see on her site that she claims that's 20% superfat...I think that's insane honestly. There's no need to superfat a soap that much. It's probably to counteract that the coconut oil is so drying, but that just leaves you open to the soap going rancid very quickly and not setting up well to start with.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2013 09:32:12 AM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Nesse
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013 09:57:34 AM »

Dang. I was really excited about using only one oil. I guess I should just go back to complicated recipes.

The weird thing is that the last four batches turned out great, even one that exploded.

Wait, let's talk zap test. When I touch my tongue to the soap, I don't get an immediate battery zap. Rather, it builds up from nothing to a sting. Is that just the gross nature of licking soap?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013 10:08:16 AM »

Yeah I just don't find the tongue test reliable and it somehow offends me on an unscientific level though! But I've always been under the impression that it should be an immediate zap.

I don't think you have to do complicated recipes, my favorite ones are 3 oils! Maybe 4, max. I just think that by its nature, coconut oil should be kept under that magical 30% number, unless you're using it as laundry soap or something. But, you know, those "rules" are really guidelines and if it's worked for ya in the past...? I think you could probably save this batch by either leaving it in the crock pot for a lot longer or cooking it on the stove.

Have you tried making a castile/100% olive oil soap?

My fave is 40% olive, 30% coconut, 25% shortening and 5% shea butter. The shea can be left out and subbed for more of the olive or shortening. Easy peasy and makes a great bar!  I also make a luxury bar that is 60% shea, 30% olive, and 20% coconut. It's lovely!

If you want to make your own recipe using lanolin or anything else, my easy peasy way to do it is to make it out in percentages like I did above, got to https://www.thesage.com/calcs/lyecalc2.php and enter the percentages as though they were ounces (in my first example, 40 ounces lye, 30 ounces coconut, etc). Hit "calculate" and then scroll to the bottom and re-size the recipe for how many ounces total of oil you actually want and boom, recipe! Smiley If I know one of my molds holds 60 ounces oil plus the median amount of water, then I would change it to 60 ounces and recalculate.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013 10:09:07 AM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nesse
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013 10:27:40 AM »

Oh yeah! I used to use shortening a lot. I actually have a book of recipes that I've used in the past, but man, I've turned into a lazy soaper (it's been a long time since I've been serious about it)

As far as adding lanolin goes - I think it needs to be added after everything saponifies so it doesn't get damaged during the process (true?) then should I superfat with the lanolin? I'm not even sure if that would work, but I'm trying to make a wool wash bar that is so full of lanolin that I won't need to lanolize afterwards (wool cloth diaper covers).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013 10:31:01 AM »

Yeah I've heard about superfatting with lanolin, but some science-y type friends told me that the superfatting by adding the oil at the end is kind of a myth with how the lye reacts anyways. When I say superfat I mean lye discount rather than the other. I'm not super familiar with lanonlin though so maybe someone else can weigh in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013 05:47:29 PM »

The weird thing is that the last four batches turned out great, even one that exploded.

can I ask..why your soap exploded??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...