A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 304,846
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 57
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: Winter Nerd Battles --December 5, 2013 - February 28, 2014  (Read 40125 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #460 on: February 20, 2014 08:46:07 AM »

Battle/Challenge:  January UFO (orange)
Team: Textbook
Bonus Points: n/a
Project Name: Sun Paper Doll
Project Page Link (if available): n/a
Brief Description: In the summer of 2012, I went to a meetup of folks from ATCs for All (I think that's the site) with my sister. I was new to ATCs, but had made a few paper dolls for swaps from the site. One of the gals (ETA: It turns out that she's dina54 on Craftster- Thanks, Dina!) had a template for a mermaid (with modifications for legs) that would fold up to fit into an ATC sleeve. She let me have a copy, and I stashed it in my "ATC Supply Bin," where it has languished ever since. Once the summer ended, I was too busy to sit and make ATCs or paper dolls, but I just participated in the Box of Sunshine Swap, and new I needed to make a Sun-themed paper doll (I know it looks a bit like a lion...). I used a combination of orange and yellow Sharpies on yellow cardstock, and used orange mini brads to join it. It was fun to make, and I'm glad I finally dug out the template to make one. Now I want to make a bunch more!

Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge:  January- Craftin' New Year
Project Name: Sunshine Scarf
Brief Description: About a year ago, I was given a Cricket loom, but never sat down to figure out how to use it. In December, I saw an article in the local paper about classes being offered on how to weave on the Cricket loom, so I signed up for the January class. In the 3 weeks, we were supposed to make two scarves, but I was only able to finish one (the second one is ready to go... as soon as I have time!). I picked out the yellow colors knowing that I'd be making it for the swap. It's yellow cotton and yellow bamboo yarn. One thing I learned is that bamboo yarn is very slippery, so when I adjusted the tension, the scarf went a bit wonky in places. I tried to fix it as best as I could, but it's far from perfect. But, for my first ever woven scarf (it's about 70" long), it's not bad!

Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge:  January- Put a Bird on It
Team: Textboom
Project Name: Bird Applique Zipper Pouch
Brief Description: I made this for my partner in the Sunshine Swap, and it was my first time doing any applique, and I did a bird on each side of the pouch. I stitched the legs and wing with my machine (and made a goof in the same spot each time, so it looks like I did it on purpose). I figured I'd keep it simple for my first effort. Next time, I might try a bird that's a little more complex! Because, now I need a pouch... and you can never have too many pouches! I think I need one for my embroidery supplies, because a plastic zipper bag isn't quite cutting it Smiley

Project Picture:

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014 05:58:14 AM by craftADDchick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
artsycandice

Art makes me happy, and birds. Birds make me happy too.

I just want to drink coffee, create stuff, & sleep

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #461 on: February 20, 2014 08:52:24 AM »

Okay, I have a question...
I've only been active on here this month but got to wondering, can I submit work for challenge categories from December and January? I had it in my head that I could only pick from the February category for February delivery. Because, I did a "put a bird on it" project for myself last month and would like to use it! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find happiness.
"Make good art" - Neil Gaiman
Come shop the swap!
50 Projects
artsycandice

« Reply #462 on: February 20, 2014 08:55:38 AM »

CraftADDChick - I really like your projects. That scarf especially is really pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find happiness.
Come shop the swap!
50 Projects
Inselaeffchen
« Reply #463 on: February 20, 2014 09:10:23 AM »

I've only been active on here this month but got to wondering, can I submit work for challenge categories from December and January? I had it in my head that I could only pick from the February category for February delivery. Because, I did a "put a bird on it" project for myself last month and would like to use it! Thanks!

You can use all prompts for the Challenges throughout the term. The things that need to be done during the same week / a definite date are the Battles, Flash Mobs, Red Alerts.

Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artsycandice

« Reply #464 on: February 20, 2014 09:19:14 AM »

You can use all prompts for the Challenges throughout the term. The things that need to be done during the same week / a definite date are the Battles, Flash Mobs, Red Alerts.

Hope this helps.

Awesome. Thank you. That does help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find happiness.
Come shop the swap!
50 Projects
artsycandice

« Reply #465 on: February 20, 2014 09:29:38 AM »

Battle/Challenge:  January - Put a bird on it
Bonus Points: 0
Project Name: Plaster bird heads
Brief Description: I put a bird on it! This is an American Goldfinch and a Lazuli Bunting. Both birds are residents here in Oregon. I tend to make really detailed sculptures so this was an experiment in being able to create something quickly, and using some new material I had never used before. I sculpted the heads in plasticine and used the fabric plaster strips over that. Once they were completely dry I could paint them. They are hollow, which made hanging on a nail a simple solution that did not require any extra wire.
Project Picture:

The finished heads:

The bare plaster head, reading for painting:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014 09:32:02 AM by artsycandice » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find happiness.
Come shop the swap!
50 Projects
LovelyMiss

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

« Reply #466 on: February 20, 2014 11:39:53 AM »

BadWolf314 - Great ATC!  And go you for finishing all of the prompts!

Ludi - Awesome dinosaur!  He is really so cute...and impeccable!

craftADDchick - Love the paper doll!  And the scarf is very pretty!  I've been wanting to use bamboo yarn in a project.  I agree, you can never have too many pouches, and that one is adorable! 

artsycandice - If those are quick sculptures...just wow!  They are wonderful!

Hope this helps.

Yep, perfect!   Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazyda79

« Reply #467 on: February 20, 2014 05:52:33 PM »

Battle/Challenge:  Jan 20 sided die
Team: Randomizer
Bonus Points:
Project Name: Fly Free
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: Seven is a significant number to me because it is the number of babies I have lost through miscarriage.  When I saw this challenge I thought of 7 but wasn't sure what I would do.  While cleaning the craft room last night, I found a whole stack of different colored fabric butterflies, so I picked out 7, grabbed paint and a canvas, then made this.
Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge:  Feb- UFO
Bonus Points: 10- purple
Project Name: Mardi Gras Wreath
Brief Description: Bought all the stuff to make this last year but never got around to it.  So I decided to make it this year in time for Mardi Gras.  I just love the colors of Mardi Gras (green, gold and purple).
Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge:  Feb- superfan
Bonus Points:
Project Name: Chicken Pot Pie
Project Page Link (if available): got recipe from here http://dimplesanddelights.blogspot.com/2012/08/chicken-pot-pie.html
Brief Description: I love Supernatural and have been missing it and Dean (who loves his pie), so I made this Chicken Pot Pie last night for dinner in honor of Supernatural and Dean.
Project Picture:

Battle/Challenge:  Feb- Free Art
Bonus Points:
Project Name: Quoted Wooden Butterflies
Brief Description: I had these wooden butterflies that I painted, then added butterfly quotes onto.  Can't wait to drop them off in public places.  
Project Picture:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014 05:56:07 PM by crazyda79 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
50 projects in 2014 my list on page 54
131/50 swaps
97/50 friends/family
228/50 total
bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

« Reply #468 on: February 20, 2014 06:02:35 PM »

Battle/Challenge:  February Free Art
Team: Wordy
Bonus Points:
Project Name: Free Art Bookmark
Brief Description: This idea came from gozer (yeah, I TOTALLY copied her), but the art is mine.  Wink  I made bookmarks to sneak into books in the public library. I drew the picture, added color (can I just say that I LOVE artist chalks?), then scanned and copied.  Then re-chalked, coz the scanner kind of washed out the background. Yeah, you are seeing the washed out version, unfortunately.  The final product is much more vibrant.  The pic you see was scanned prior to being laminated, they have all been laminated now.  I made 30 of them.  I'm going to use some post-it flags to stick on them saying that they get to keep the bookmark.
Project Picture:

« Last Edit: February 20, 2014 06:05:30 PM by bunny1kenobi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #469 on: February 20, 2014 07:53:30 PM »

Bookmarks are such a clever idea for the Free Art prompt!  If my plate wasn't already overcrowded with nearly-due swap items, I'd totally be stealing that idea too.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Yet Another TM Patch Swap R. 3
  • Fall/Character Ninni
  • Christmas Stocking Swap R. 10
  • October ATC (organizer)

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 57 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a New Blank Document in Illustrator CS3
How to Create a New Blank Document in InDesign CS3
How to Create a New Color Swatch in Photoshop CS3
How to Create a New Document From a Template in Illustrator CS3
How to Create a New Image in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...