A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,371
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 57
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: Winter Nerd Battles --December 5, 2013 - February 28, 2014  (Read 58444 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Nerding along...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #190 on: January 10, 2014 09:39:57 AM »

You guys are zoomin'!   Cheesy

Battle/Challenge:  January UFO
Team: Wordy
Bonus Points: orange!
Project Name: Art Journal page
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description:  This is the first page of my Art Journal.  Paper, fabric and stitching.  I chose bright colors I dont normally use, such as purple and orange.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds

http://ernestthesiger.org
LovelyMiss

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

« Reply #191 on: January 10, 2014 10:05:19 AM »

Research Project Proposal

Research Project Name:  Days for Girls liners
Team:  Randomizer
Brief Description:  I got a serger for Christmas!  I am going to try it out by stitching up some more liners for Days for Girls.  I've never used a serger before, so part of my project is researching how to properly thread and run the machine.  Days for Girls also recently changed their patterns for the liners, so I need to look into that, too. 

Timeline:
Week 1:  Learn about serger and investigate new liner patterns/instructions.  Start cutting flannel.
Week 2:  Continue cutting flannel, start sewing liners.
Week 3+:  Continue sewing liners.  At minimum I would like to complete six sets of eight, or 48 liners total.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovelyMiss

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

« Reply #192 on: January 10, 2014 12:03:06 PM »

I really love that journal page, Ludi!  The components and embroidery really work well together.  Great start on your art journal!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: January 11, 2014 10:11:42 AM »

Eeep!  Normally I check Craftster twice a day, but the first week back to work after 11 days overseas for the holidays sent that out the window...

Calabaza - Maps!  Your Archaeology project is great. I was really not sure how to tackle that prompt at all, but I love maps, so now I will definitely be able to come up with something.  Thank you!  And the TARDIS really does look like a macaroon painted with frosting.  Now I'm hungry...

bunny1kenobi - Those octopus earrings are neat!  How are they made?

Ludi - The art journal page looks wonderful.  How is the paper incorporated -- is it just stitched together with the fabric pieces?

And now, for something I worked on while sitting in several different airport lobbies during my trip:

Battle/Challenge: January - Craftin' New Year
Team: Multimedia
Project Name:
Four Elements Hoop - Fire
Brief Description: This is the first of four hoops I am creating for my research project in the Harry Potter Craftalong (I have a different project proposed for the Nerd Battles... which I have bought supplies for but not started yet  Tongue).  I am brand-new to embroidery (besides cross-stitch), so the purpose of this project really is to investigate and practice some of the more common stitches.  As the name implies, each hoop will represent one of the traditional Western four elements.  However, for an Asian twist, the composition itself is the Chinese/Japanese character for the element.

In order to get a pattern, I typed up the character in my word processor, and found a font that had a little more shape to it.  After printing it out in the size that best fit my hoop, I used my window as a light box to trace the pattern using a white transfer pencil.  I outlined the pattern with a split stitch using 3 threads of embroidery floss (which meant I always had to divide it 2-and-1 -- I'm thinking that 4 would've been better), and then filled in the whole thing with two strands of satin stitch.  All of these techniques were brand new to me!

Project Picture:

It is definitely a bit sloppy, but seeing as this is my first attempt and I'm specifically trying to learn, I'm pleased to say that it doesn't bug me at all.   Grin

I have a couple of questions, though:

1) I'm using a set of variegated threads for all four hoops.  On this one, I started out the satin stitch from the middle of the top, and then you'll see the "split" where I went down the left "leg" of the character.  For this part, I was concerned that the variegation wasn't showing up enough in the thread (since I was only using two strands -- thus, when I cut out a length of thread from the skein, and split it up into 3 sets of 2 stands, the same color pattern repeated 3 times in a row).  So, for the right leg, instead of keeping the 2 strands of floss running the same direction, when I separated them, I would put the opposite ends together, making the variegation a lot more random instead of gradual.  I used that same technique on the two triangles at the sides as well.  Which do you think looks better?

2) Doing the satin stitch, there are several spots where I came up through (or even outside) my split stitch outline, which looked quite sloppy.  Do you think I should use something other than split stitch to outline my pattern if I'm filling in with satin, or do I just need to be more fastidious about coming up inside the outline?

3) Also, as I was reading online about satin stitch, some websites said that you need to carry the thread all the way around on the back side, and others advised to just come up right next to the hole where you exited.  I ended up using the first technique, even though I felt like I was wasting a ton of thread, since I was afraid of coming through my holes if I didn't.  Which technique do you recommend?

Feedback, constructive critique and advice are VERY much appreciated, since I am just learning about all of this.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014 10:19:44 AM by vincentvanbuck » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
    Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
    BriannaB03

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #194 on: January 11, 2014 01:37:14 PM »

Battle/Challenge:  December 2013 - A Bag of holding - completed Jan 2014
    Team: TEXTBOOK
    Bonus Points: n/a
    Project Name:  a bag of rubbish
    Project Page Link (if available):
    Brief Description: I made a car trash bag for my friend.  And its reversible!
    Project Picture:

And a close up of the button cuz its so darn cute!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Nerding along...

« Reply #195 on: January 11, 2014 02:05:42 PM »

Thank you, Lovely Miss and thank you, vincent!  The paper is stitched onto the fabric, and then covered with a layer of tulle stitched down, and more fabric stitched over that.  After stitching,the tulle is cut away from most of the fabric areas.

Looks like a good start on the embroidery!  For blending colors and filling large areas, you might want to try "long and short" stitch, which can make smoother color blends than plain satin stitch:  http://www.needlenthread.com/2009/08/long-and-short-stitch-lessons-index.html
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds

http://ernestthesiger.org
    FreakieGeekie

Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

View Profile available for personal swaps
    « Reply #196 on: January 11, 2014 11:55:57 PM »

Love the journal page, Ludi! Cheesy
    vincentvanbuck, that's a pretty good embroidery Cheesy Love the color!
    BriannaB03, that bag is awesome but I really love that button. I have a love for pretty buttons.
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

BadWolf314

Team Textbook Captain

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #197 on: January 14, 2014 07:55:15 AM »

LovelyMiss The journal looks awesome! Great research project idea!
    crazyda79 The snowmen are adorable! The batman jar and angry bird pillow are AWESOME!! The chess board is a brilliant idea and the scrabble box is perfect!
    coulsenl I love having a small bag for my chapstick, Im less likely to lose it that way! The car seat blanket is lovely! And the penguin is so cute!
    Ezri_B The cozy turned out perfect! I love the pattern!
    bunny1kenobi The earrings are so cute! I love how small they are!
    amymarie78 The rug turned out awesome! The colors are perfect together!
    Ludi I love the page! It is lovely!
    vincentvanbuck I think it looks awesome!
    BriannaB03 I love the colors on the bag and the button is adorable!

And CONGRATS to gozer and Smeddley for their featured projects!!!
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

Theres no point in being grown up if you cant act a little childish sometimes.
    Summer HPC
    Summer Nerd Battles!
    amymarie78
    « Reply #198 on: January 14, 2014 07:56:22 AM »

Battle/Challenge:  January Mob
    Team: wordy
    Bonus Points:n/a
    Project Name: Baby Ballet slippers
    Brief Description: This year I decided to really get my stuff out there... and so I've been making up things for my first craft show and my etsy shop.
    Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

gozer

If only Mogwai were real... at least we have Bigfoot

« Reply #199 on: January 14, 2014 09:37:43 AM »

coulsenl - that drop stitch blanket is precious. It looks so soft and comfy! The scrappy penguin is cute too.
    Ezri_B - Ca-jar cozy is perfect for your goal of drinking more water. I gave up soda and feel so much better. Best of luck with it! And the colors are beautiful.
    Bunny1kenobi - those earrings better be for me!   Hahahaha...um, not joking.  Wink
    Amymarie78 - Your braided rug is fantastic. I love that it is so functional too. I would also like to see an action shot with the cat.
    Ludi - The art journal page is very pretty. Everything flows so well.
    Vincentvanbuck - Love the contrast of colors! I don't embroider but any link Ludi posts I would check into! Amazing job. Looks like it took a lot of patients.
    BriannaB03 - Everyone needs a car trash bag! I am into useful gifts and that rocks! And I agree, cute button.
    Amymarie78 - Such adorable baby ballerina shoes! Too cute!!!!
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
    Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 57 Jump to page:
      Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
    only results with images
    include swap threads
    advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
    How to Draw Mikey Simon
    How to Draw Michael Jackson
    How to Draw Megi Simpson
    How to Draw Megaman
    How to Draw Maximus
    Latest Blog Articles
    Tomato/Tomahto
    Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce
    Mountain Views

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
    Become a
    Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
    Buy Craft Supplies
    Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
    Moderators

Follow Craftster...