A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,726
Currently Running With Scissors:
526 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Experimenting in the Kitchen Along  (Read 22511 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Smeddley
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #150 on: August 08, 2013 03:34:55 PM »

I'm half terrified to try that hummus, but I really want to know what it's like, too...  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: August 08, 2013 07:01:28 PM »

We loved the hummus. My kids who are super picky devoured it. We dipped graham crackers in it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
jexxican

« Reply #152 on: January 16, 2014 07:17:55 AM »

So I quit saving my links when I would get recipes off of Pinterest so I couldn't share here anymore but I do want you guys to know that I have so many printed-from-Pinterest recipes that I've sworn I would make again someday that I just put over 40 of them in plastic sleeves so I can get my recipe binder under control and today when making my grocery list I decided to meal plan completely out of that. I still don't have stuff organizer, but at least I can access it now. Yay! Thanks for encouraging me to try the recipes I've pinned rather just pinning them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
stillatthetop
« Reply #153 on: January 20, 2014 02:51:48 PM »

I have a goal of 50 new recipes this year, now with this board I don't know if I'm hoping more for great turnouts or hilarious disasters...  a lot of the time, the failures are so much more fun to write up! 

Some of my disasters turned into the tasty-est of things...substitutions of things. You know, get half way into the recipe and discover...oh pooh...I don't have that. What have I got similar?

I like the idea for this thread. I will have to haunt it for a bit. And see what I can share. I blend recipes all the time. For what I have, and what I like, and just get an idea of proportions.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: January 20, 2014 05:01:52 PM »

I've still been cooking from Pinterest, but have been failing to take pictures. I'll have to start doing that again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
stillatthetop
« Reply #155 on: January 21, 2014 02:41:30 AM »

I don't care for hummus, but don't let that deter you. Lots of people like it, and it is good for you. I have seen it cubed up in salads, like a cheeze. I love garbonzo beans/chick peas....you would think I would like it. I think it is more the texture, then the flavor, that throws me off.

My recipe box is pretty well organized. I don't have access to a printer these days, so I write out what I wish to make one at a time, and file it if I like it, or deep file {garbage  Grin} if I don't. I use regular index cards that fit into my recipe box. I can also rip pages from the magazines, and fold them in fourths. They fit into the box, too. Then I have the picture  Cheesy

Funny story: Son caught me writing in a cookbook one day. He knows better than to write in his books so he says, "Ummmm. You are writing in a book!" Like he caught me doing a bad thing. I had to explain the difference. I was making notes of what I changed up in a recipe for the next time I made it. I also often half recipes, and put the new measurements to the left side. Who actually feeds a family of 8??  Roll Eyes

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
jexxican

« Reply #156 on: January 21, 2014 07:01:04 AM »

I used to do that with the recipe cards but then I got lazy. I used to copy the recipes from my books onto cards and file them, too, but then I got lazy. I just last week got my recipes organized, with a little help from my husband's MTG addiction Wink He uses 3x5 card holders for some of his card filing and since I couldn't find any anywhere in town he let me use some. Now I have 2 extra card file boxes that I don't know what to do with! So I took all of my printed recipes and put them in page protectors and pout all of my 3x5 cards into those from G, made some dividers using card stock, and actually organized my recipes! And tonight I get to teach a lesson to a bunch of 8-11 year old girls about recipes. That's probably what lit a fire under my butt to get this all done.

Oh, as for the recipes from my books that I like, I just mark them with check marks, or check plus if they were really awesome, or X is they sucked. That was my thing before but then I would circle it if I had written it on the card. Stillatthetop, My kids know not to draw in books but I mark in my books all the time. If I like a passage from a book I will underline it. Also, they are not really allowed in my kitchen (though they go in there all the time) so they can't get mad at me for writing in my cookbooks. That was a funny story, though, about your son.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #157 on: January 23, 2014 01:22:45 PM »

I am lucky to have a cookbook that was passed down from my great grandmother to my grandmother, then my mother and now to me...there are plenty of things written all throughout the book...things like " This was well received at the church social"..."Hate lima beans"...even notes on secret love crushes and people who died so a casserole was made for the family...I also write in regular books...I love buying second hand books with writing!

I am also bad at taking pictures of foods I experiment with, but I am going to work on it this year since some of the recipes are the ones my mother is teaching me!

I would eat hummus everyday!  I keep cans and bags of chick peas just so I can make the stuff...Grin
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014 01:23:41 PM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

stillatthetop
« Reply #158 on: January 23, 2014 04:56:14 PM »

Chick peas come in bags?? I didn't know they dried them...are those frozen, maybe? They are my faves to eat. And asparagas, and snow peas. With mushroom, onion, green sweet peppers. I love my veggies  Grin I have a recipe to share, but I am going to find the board with our little doodle bear that is making all the muffins with her pretty toppings, and share it there. Probably PM it to her...and she can shift it around as she likes. This one is Woman's Day February 2014, page 81. Carrot, cranberry, pecan muffins. She is our new cupcake queen here. I will have to hunt for her last posts. This site just keeps me swimming. I feel like Nemo!  Roll Eyes I don't remember her user name. But she is working on delicious cupcakes! You have probably seen her here.

~T

Captured!!! It is amigurl55 that is making all the goodies. Off to PM a new idea for a recipe for her.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014 06:52:32 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #159 on: January 24, 2014 06:54:45 AM »

Dried chick peas comes in bags like lentils...I keep all sorts of dried legumes and stuff in our pantry...just soak them and use!  I also love roasting chick peas for a good snack...they are crunchy and you can flavor them to be salty/savory or sweet...nom!

lol--she started with her first cupcakes and is now moving on to some pretty cool decorated ones...ha ha..she is obsessed now...I love it!  Her new passion!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014 06:55:54 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Jagged Chevron Part 3/5
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 8/11
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 9/11
How to Crochet a Jagged Chevron Part 1/5
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 7/11
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...