This is what I've been doing most of the year: knitting.
My knitting takes a long time, average time for a jumper: 9 months. I think I'm getting a little better though, because I started this one in April and finished it in November, so that's 2 part months instead of 9 whole months. Since then I've worn it pretty much every week
. It is almost exactly what I wanted
I take time to understand the knitting patterns I use. I read them through before I start, I try to puzzle out the new terms and make sure I've got all the bits I need, but my bugbear is sleeves
. It really is. For this cardigan I knitted no less than 5 sleeves for it
The first sleeve I knitted to my best understanding of the pattern: when I held it to my shoulder it touched the ground
. My arms really aren't that long
. It didn't surprise me however, I'd had a similar problem with every jumper sleeve that I'd ever tried to knit to a pattern. I re-read the pattern
. I passed the pattern to other knitters: they couldn't see where I'd gone wrong
. I read the pattern again and sighed really hard.
I counted my rows, looked at the measurements required, wished for a bit more clarity and did some arithmetic
. I un-picked that sleeve and started again with my majorly adjusted pattern. I knit another sleeve, which actually came to the right length and looked OK. (2 sleeves in total)
I reversed the pattern and did it again. A pair of sleeves, somewhat imperfect
, but at least they'd fit. (3 sleeves in total).
Then I moved on to the back of the jumper, OK, I adjusted that a bit as well, but that was easy: I just added a little to the length to get the fit that I wanted. When I got to the top of the back it took a little figuring out because it seemed to be uneven, but I worked it out
.Revelation: my pattern writer was inconsistent!
Although in one part of the pattern for the sleeve I was asked to do something at the beginning and end of each row, elsewhere the phrase each end of the row meant the beginning and end of the row as well, not simply each far end of the row. I'd had twice as many rows in my first sleeve as was intended.
So, I cheated
, I knitted the next sleeve out of the wool I was intending to use for the front in order to compare it with the previous sleeves I'd knitted: it looked sooooo much better
. (4 sleeves in total)
Then I un-picked the second and third sleeves
and set about knitting the 5th sleeve for my cardigan. I put them side by side to admire them. That was when I discovered I'd made a mistake in the cuff of one of them! I looked at it in horror
: to take it back to the cuff would mean a whole new sleeve again
. (5 sleeves in total)
The muslims believe there should be a flaw in everything created by man, because to attempt perfection is to challenge God.
I decided I wasn't going to challenge God this time
, my flawed sleeve would stay.<BIG sigh of relief>
The rest came fairly smoothly
, although I am insanely grateful to whoever first thought up safety lines for complex patterns
- that cable pattern has a 24 row repetition, many of which are absurdly similar, but not quite the same.
If I had to do it all again, apart from doing the sleeves right first time out, I'd knit it one size smaller. But I think I've worked out a fix for that. I shall sew a press stud in the place of the first button and move the button along so that the second button will become the first and there will be a wee bit more overlap at the top.
But I love it.
Second attempt at Photo