A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,041
Currently Running With Scissors:
536 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: One and a half Knee Socks  (Read 2229 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pergolanational
« on: March 15, 2004 10:29:54 PM »

This is my first pair of socks. Previously I started one using 4-ply sock yarn, but I didn't do a swatch first so the sizing was off, and the slow progress with the small thread was discouraging for knee socks. I'm pretty into the heavy duty wool look anyhow. Now I just have to learn darning to keep them in good shape.

I'd love to see other people's knee socks. I want some pattern ideas about colour and/or knit textures for the next pair.

Technical details:
For the calf I cast on 56 stitches in 2-ply Briggs Little Regal*. At the start of the first stripe I increased by four stitches (two each on two rows) and after the stripes I began decreases about every 3/4 of an inch until the top of my ankle. I spread the sock out on all four needles, as in the picture, every time I wanted to check for size.

* (100% wool. I know something with partial nylon is better but the gal at the store assured me this is tough wool.)

About the heel: never fear. it's way easier than I thought, only took me two tries to get it. The tutorials mentioned below explain everything. If you have an uneven amount of stitches, fudge it by one or two.

About the toe: wasn't satisfied with the results of the stitch the tutorial suggest, my kitchener stitch looks really boxy and sticks out, so I turned the sock inside out and, with the stitches divided on two parallel needles, bound them together by casting them off in pairs.

Knit with the help of these tutorials:
http://www.hjsstudio.com/sock.html
http://www.royea.net/sockdemo1.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged
tns
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2004 04:04:00 PM »

those look great!  wooohooooo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amelia bedelia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2004 05:06:52 PM »

tee hee! i love how you displayed them! they look sooooo cool! i have tried to make my own socks but eveytime i screw them up  Grin oh well  Smiley yours look beau-ti-ful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Damn it feels good to be a gangster
ookpik

everything is so neat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004 10:13:14 AM »

i was worried that this thread was about running out of yarn. glad to see it isn't!

those look great! i'm never motivated to make socks because they seem like so much work for such little garments that will wear out fast. your darning comment has sparked something in the back of my brain. maybe eventually the spark will turn into socks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's no such thing as too much information, so: All About My Vagina
Jessie
Goodmorning Starshine the Earth says HELLO!

Jazzzzmataz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004 09:38:10 PM »

That is so incredibly awsome! I cant knitt worth a crap! Well i mean i can knitt but i dont like it as much a crocheting! Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goddess
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004 11:04:14 PM »

those are great, I wish I wasn't so petrified of knitting in the round
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skittermagoo
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004 06:10:14 AM »

I wish I wasn't so petrified of knitting in the round

Goddess, no need to be petrified!  Go for it and give it a try -- what's the worst that can happen?  And once you do, and get over the learning curve, it'll be a great confidence-builder -- you will feel like you can knit anything!

I just finished my first sock (believe me, I was scared to death of trying socks!), and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Goodluck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please check out my new blog site:  www.skittermagoo.co m
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jim Power and the Mosaic Trail
The Brass Ring Project
The Art of Wax Sculpting
The Guinness Museum of Automata
Jesse Hackett Sculpts Recycled Instruments
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!
Meatless Monday: Vegan, Raw, Gluten Free Chocolate Bars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...