A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,570
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Luxe Knock off - Beaded Wrap Bracelet  (Read 695 times)
Tags for this thread: beaded_wrap_bracelet , knock_off , craftster_best_of_2013 , bracelet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Artisan82

formerly Crafty.Canadian

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 01, 2013 06:27:54 PM »

I'm not sure that this is a common problem, but I have someone with very expensive tastes on my gift list. It can be difficult to buy gifts for my youngest sister because she tends to like items that are often out of my price range. One way that I can get her something I know she'll love, while keeping it affordable for myself, is to find something in style and on trend, and do my best to duplicate it by hand.

This year she made it easy on me, as she pinned these designer beaded wrap bracelets from here: http://www.chanluu.com/womens-jewelry/wrap-bracelets/

My supplies: I knew by looking at the specs of the expensive version that the finished bracelet was about 80 cm (34 inches long).  Using my awesome math skills, I knew I'd need about 80 cm (34 inches) worth of beads and 1.6 m of leather.  Nice that they print the length of the bead strand is right there on the label... makes it pretty darn simple.

The tutorial I referenced was here: http://www.craftsunleashed.com/jewelry-main/beaded-wrap-diy-bracelet/

I did a couple thing different from the tutorial.  Since this was a gift, I made two knots at the end so that the size can be adjusted a bit.

I also found that my beads were sliding around a bit much, so I went back and stitched my beads twice.  That is, when I finished beading the whole length, I went back and stitched the whole thing in reverse.  So I worked right to left the first time down, then left to right back up through the strung beads.  This secured everything really nicely. And I like how the mirrored stitching looks.

Ta da! Here's my finished bracelet. (Yeah, I did a photo shoot.  Tongue ) I know its not exactly like the inspiration bracelets, but I think it turned out pretty nice - and more importantly, I think my little sis will love it! 

Anybody else DIYing knock-offs for gifts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post all my crafty stuff on Facebook.  I'd LOVE if you'd like my page!
Artisan 82 on Facebook
My baby, my Etsy shop: Artisan 82 on Etsy
stillatthetop
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013 07:27:39 PM »

I am all for DIY. I think you did a fine job. And sis should get over herself to think we can all afford the Macy stores. It is the thought, and not the present. You did wonderful, and took the extra time to make it special. That is what counts. I can only afford it where I can, too. And try to do best for people. Don't feel bad for that. If she wants a fancy box, let her go buy it for herself and put it on HER charge card. Sorry. Loosing the Christmas spirit again, but sheesh....there is a limit when you are shareing with multiple people and families. Greed at this time of year really peeves me.

Happy note: Son has a birthday. At the skating rink. Sorry, off topic, but just need to share.
He just wants me to sing a song at his party. Is that not sweet? Julie Andrews. Mary Poppins. Of course I also have some presents, but I have been working my bumm off for the tune he wants.  Grin

Back to topic...I think your sister will love it all the same. Do you have wrapping to make it look like it came from those expensive stores??? She might not ever know the difference!  Grin Just an idea.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013 06:25:14 AM »

I think you did a lovely job doing this knock off, I bet your sister will love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014 06:40:18 PM »

Congrats!!

You're a Craftster Best of 2013 Winner!

Craftster Best of 2013 Winner

Feel free to use this badge as your avatar!
If you'd like to use it as a badge on your personal website or blog, you can grab the full code at the bottom of this page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014 07:06:54 AM »

This is so lovely!

~*Congrats, you have been pinned to Craftster's Jewelry & Trinkets Pinterest Board.*~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014 08:49:26 AM »

that looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Portrait Retouching with Photoshop Elements - Sample Clip 2
Lightroom 2 Quick Tip
Tip for Lightroom 2
Black & White Imaging in Adobe Lightroom
How to Use Crop Tool and Adjustment Brush in Lightroom 2
Latest Blog Articles
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...