A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,716
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shipping with the US Postal Service: FYI  (Read 1161 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ChameleonHound
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Odds 'n ends are my specialty.

Beware the Platypirates and their tri-corner hats.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 01, 2013 12:41:00 AM »

Happy December everyone! As it is the season for people to be sending one another lots of goodies in the mail, I thought now would be a good time to put up this post. Last winter while I was working for the United States Postal Service, I learned firsthand the dos and donts of packaging. It was always terrible to see someones letters and parcels get stuck in the machine or lost because of simple packing errors, and I decided to share my knowledge with everyone to help those boxes and cards get to where theyre going!  Please read the information I have to share; even postal window clerks usually havent sorted the mail on the big machines, and thus may not know the best way to ship your packages.

One quick disclaimer I cannot say for sure how much of this is applicable for the postal services in countries other than the United States, but I imagine much of it is the same.

Envelopes:

First, lets talk about how these go through the sorting system. The letter sorting machine is a huge, scary, complicated thing that uses computer information to do almost everything.  They process over 30,000 letters an hour, and are run by only two people each, so it is important to make sure your envelope will go through smoothly.

When your envelope is fed into the machine, it gets pinched between two belts that whip it away at an incredibly fast speed, over and around wheels and through narrow sensors and sorting paddles. If anything in your envelope is sticky-outy, like a pen, keychain, coins, scrabble tiles, inchies, seashells, jewelry, etc., theres a good chance it will get stuck somewhere or just get torn in the machine and fall out.  (This is also true of any bits on the outside, like puffy stickers and glitter). Usually the postal workers do a good job of picking out the sticky-outy letters, but they can easily miss some when theyre processing several hundred thousand a night. And even if by chance it makes it through the machine, each letter will have to go through at least four times to get sorted for a mail carrier.  Depending on where theyre going, these letters could get run through the machine 7 or 8 times, maybe more!

So what do I do if I'm sending small items, like inchies?

If your envelope has sticky-outy or stiff bits, I would write please hand cancel on the front of the envelope. This way, it should avoid going through any machines, and will be hand sorted by a person. If its a really fragile item or you want to make sure it makes it to where its going, its best to put it in a padded envelope.

Now, since those envelopes are running through the machine so fast, it really helps if the address is readable. The machine has little cameras that take a picture of the front, and then a computer figures out what city, state and country the letter is going to - all in a fraction of a second. If your envelope is a weir d color, like silver or dark red or green, or if the ink is in a glittery or poorly-contrasted ink, the computer will probably not be able to read it. This isnt the end of the world, though; that just means it gets sent to those hand-sorting people later on, which is fine if you dont mind your letter travelling more slowly. If your handwriting is illegible, the computer and maybe the real person who sorts it later might not be able to read it. We did a pretty good job with some astoundingly bad writing, but its best not to leave that to fate.

The machine also prints a black and an orange bar code on the envelope, which has to be read by other sorting machines. They cant read it if the envelope is dark, so sometimes they get a little bar code sticker to help. (You see that a lot on post cards).

So what do I do?
Got dark envelopes? Put a white or light-colored label on it. Got weird-colored ink? Use that in the card, and use a real pen for the envelope. Or, if your greetings have to have that exact shade of sparkly fluorescent green, be prepared for the travel time to be longer. And if your three-year-old addressed that letter to Grandma, make sure it actually looks like Grandmas address before you send it.

Sometimes the postal clerk will slap an extra fee on difficult-to-handle envelopes. This usually is done with envelopes that are over-sized, square, rigid or have lumpy things, or if the address is in a weird spot. If you ask for your letter to be hand-canceled, it will probably cost twenty cents extra. This isn't really a big deal, though. The USPS will mail just about anything if it has enough postage; my co-workers and I have seen everything from a shoe to shelacked toast go through, with enough stamps.

Boxes

If there is one thing that should be said about boxes it is this: Please, for the love of whatever deity you may or may not worship, do not use duct tape to seal a box.
Dont get me wrong; duct tape is fantastic for many things. It is very sticky. So much so that if a corner peels up, the tape could stick to other packages. Or the sorting machine. Or the conveyer belts. Or the shipping containers. Or to itself, to get wedged into some important moving part. Get the drift?

Okay. The next important thing is your label. This is the only way anyone has of knowing where this box of stuff is going, so take time to make your label. It always helps if it is legible, and if you print off one of those postage-paid labels like you can for ebay, make sure it prints in a size that a non-superhuman can read without serious effort. It also helps if those labels are on the biggest side of the box. Most of the time the boxes are placed on a conveyer belt that runs them under a scanner; this scans not only the zip code, but all of those handy tracking bar codes as well. If the label is on the narrow end of the box, it would have to stand upright on a surface that quickly moves and stops repeatedly, which usually doesnt work.

Of course, someone can read the label and type in the zip code, but then your tracking bar code doesnt get scanned, and wouldnt you like to know where your package is?

Other helpful things:

Make sure your zip code is correct. Usually the humans involved can figure it out if it isnt, but it might go around in circles for weeks before someone catches it.

Is your package round and roly? Theres a chance it wont travel on the machine like its supposed to. The operators try to pick these out before they get stuck or fall in the wrong shipping container, but theyre busy people that miss things sometimes, and this could add anywhere from a few days to a few weeks to your parcels travel time.

Did you cram one of those it fits, it ships flat-rate boxes with 30 lb of auto parts? It helps to write HEAVY or CAUTION or 30 POUNDS on that sucker. Because those boxes roll down sloped conveyer belts onto peoples fingers, it helps to have some warning. I once sorted a large flat-rate box that was 55 lbs, no joke.  And make sure that box is sealed and padded well; theres not a whole lot anyone can do if the cardboard gets obliterated by the chunk of steel its hiding.

If there is one most important thing to take away from this post
...it is to put a return address on your mail! Even your postcards! Even if youve sent a box to this person like 400 times and you know that their address is correct and the postal clerk knows your sister and WHATEVER. You should still put a return address on there. If you have something you really care about thats going inside of the package, maybe even put an address on that, too.

Because stuff happens. Im sure a lot of you have had packages come in the mail that look like theyve been trampled by elephants. This isnt because of uncaring postal workers (usually). Most of the time its from when stuff gets stuck in the machinery, which is unavoidable. And sometimes the mail gets wet, or gets leaked on from another package, or the label comes un-stuck. Maybe you didnt copy that zip code down exactly. If anything happens to the address and it cant be sent, it will get shipped down to a dead mail facility in Georgia somewhere to be examined for sender info, and then destroyed.  If this happens to you , there is probably an 800 number to call, but that tends to be almost completely useless.

Dont let this happen! Put a return address on EVERYTHING so it can at least go back home if something happens on the other end.

I hope this is at least a little bit helpful. If there is something I didnt explain well or forgot to mention, please let me know! Good luck, and may all of your shipping be swift.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whatever happened to the ongoing hoopla swaps?
stillatthetop
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013 01:32:47 AM »

Thank you for taking the time to spell all this out. I worked at a print shop, and we added bulk mail to our variety of services. I took a tour of the local postal system sorting plant. And you are right on the spot. That crap runs through like you would not believe to get binned and sorted. A human could not move it as fast as those machines and computers do! I have gotten those "sorry we messed up your stuff" envelopes, too. Fortunately, someone cared enough to put it all back together, and it still got to me safe. But it took extra time, and extra hands to get it to me.

This busy time of year it is especially important to package your items well, label them well, to make sure they get there. Save the fancy stuff for mostly the inside.

I like your 3 year old labeling idea request  Grin Yup. If you can't write, use a typewriter, or ask a neighbor to help.  Cheesy Very good info for all of the year, but especially now it comes in handy.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013 08:11:22 AM »

This is such a great post about post! Thanks for the time you took to outline this information. It's really helpful and also really interesting to know some "behind the scenes" info on how the system works.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013 01:20:08 PM »

I always remind myself when I drop a letter in the mailbox that the letter carrier at the other end will be the next human being to touch it. If machines can't handle every other step along the way, it's going to have problems.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013 01:58:58 PM »

Thank you for the info.  I know we get grouchy with the postal system, so it helps to hear from someone who has been inside.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013 01:53:48 PM »

This is excellent information to have, thank you so much for posting it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Shop the Swap 2014 Winter Market SIGNUPS Sept 26 - Oct 10!!

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
Averia

Floppsy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014 07:47:58 AM »

Tacking on a US Postal question here - I was sent an international package and the tracking says it went out for delivery back on Dec. 7th. It was never delivered and the delivery information was never updated. I haven't received a reply of any kind to my e-mailed customer service inquiry. What is the best way to track down a missing international package sent by registered mail?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ChameleonHound

Odds 'n ends are my specialty.

Beware the Platypirates and their tri-corner hats.

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014 10:19:15 AM »

Tacking on a US Postal question here - I was sent an international package and the tracking says it went out for delivery back on Dec. 7th. It was never delivered and the delivery information was never updated. I haven't received a reply of any kind to my e-mailed customer service inquiry. What is the best way to track down a missing international package sent by registered mail?

Hmm, I'm not an expert on the Customer Service aspect of the USPS (and frankly I really wish they'd improve it). I would say either email or phone calls would work, but you have to be extremely persistent.
I can say that I'm pretty sure tracking does not work beyond the US... different countries use different systems and generally can't scan or transmit the information back to the USPS. I'm guessing that if it says it was "delivered", that it was merely passed on to the next country at that point. And there's a good chance it's still in transit. But, if you reach someone with all of those emails and phone calls, that would be a good question to ask them.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whatever happened to the ongoing hoopla swaps?
Averia

Floppsy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014 05:28:46 AM »

Thanks for the info - I ended up going in person and the folks at the post office were very sweet about things. They didn't find the package right away so they had me wait while they scoured all over for it and even called to see if the person delivering the day it went out for delivery remembered the package. End result was no one found it or remembers it and they gave me a claim form. Not the result I was hoping for but at least they gave it a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

psyche

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014 07:22:06 AM »

Great post! Thanks for this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lisa Genova on Still Alice
Philippa Gregory on the Depiction of Women
Mem Fox Reads from Hello Baby
Becca Fitzpatrick Talks About Hush, Hush
Mark Bittman Talks About Kitchen Express
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...